Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Wireless CarPlay - 9XX Research?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 12:57 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Adding Wireless CarPlay - 9XX Research?

I've read the various threads about the NMAutomotive and JoyeAuto solutions for adding wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to PCM 3.1 head units in 991.1s. Based on all the good advice posted in those threads, I was about to purchase an NMAutomotive unit when I stumbled on another solution from 9XX Research, their 9XX SmartAuto4. Does anyone have any experience with the 9XX SmartAuto4? How does it compare to the NMAutomotive unit? The 9XX website is here: https://9xxresearch.com/products/9xx...uto4-for-pcm31.

Last edited by LSR; 07-24-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:38 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,126 Likes on 673 Posts

I really don't see any difference between this and the others from NM and Joy. Breakdown and installation seem to be exactly the same. He does not show the interface at any time and does not explain any differences in software, so have to assume that they are the same.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:40 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I really don't see any difference between this and the others from NM and Joy. Breakdown and installation seem to be exactly the same. He does not show the interface at any time and does not explain any differences in software, so have to assume that they are the same.
Very little information is posted about the 9XX CarPlay adapter hardware on the website. But there are some videos showing more information. See here for how it works when installed in a PCM 3.0 of a 2011 GT3 (starting at 3:57):
. See here for how to install it (in a PCM 3.1 for a Cayenne, which seems similar to a 991.1's PCM 3.1):

For those forum members with NMAutomotive CarPlay adapters installed in their cars, I'd appreciate hearing from you if you're able to spot any relevant operational or installation differences. (Note - the unit being demo'd is a SmartAuto3 CarPlay adapter; 9XX is now selling the SmartAuto4. I have no idea what the differences are.)

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2021, 03:28 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I've read the various threads about the NMAutomotive and JoyAuto solutions for adding wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to PCM 3.1 head units in 991.1s. Based on all the good advice posted in those threads, I was about to purchase an NMAutomotive unit when I stumbled on another solution from 9XX Research, their 9XX SmartAuto4. Does anyone have any experience with the 9XX SmartAuto4? How does it compare to the NMAutomotive unit? The 9XX website is here: https://9xxresearch.com/products/9xx...uto4-for-pcm31.
I read the website and 9XX claims their interface box emits less heat vs metal interface boxes allowing them to manufacture their case from plastic. From what I read their system offers the same features as Joyeauto & NMautomotive but at a much higher price. And from what I have experienced from NMautomotive and read about Joyeauto, NM offers excellent customer service support. With 9XX being the new kid on the block I don’t have more to share based on the limited information offered.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

iSudar wireless CarPlay is another alternative. I have it in my office ready to install. It claims to be identical to the others, but doesn't have the cumbersome box install, it's just a card install into PCM. I'll probably do the install next weekend.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:07 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
iSudar wireless CarPlay is another alternative. I have it in my office ready to install. It claims to be identical to the others, but doesn't have the cumbersome box install, it's just a card install into PCM. I'll probably do the install next weekend.
Let us know how that goes and review of the install and how it works.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:02 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 80 Posts

Let us know how that goes and review of the install and how it works.
+1

only reason I haven’t done it yet is all the extra wires and hardware from the videos I’ve watched.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

So, I tried to install last weekend, but the standoffs they sent with the kit were too short and didn't reach above the XM board, so I was forced to reassemble and try again after I got new standoffs. New standoffs arrived today, but I don't have time to do the install before next sunday.

Here's the install of the board in the PCM - it's not so bad.

Removal of the PCM is shown here - you can ignore the bit with the box install, as that's for the old system.

I got the PCM out and disassembled quite easily before I realized I had the wrong length standoffs. The only piece I've not yet attempted is switching out the wiring harness, which really shouldn't be that bad.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:19 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

WHOA! It doesn’t have the extra box module? Just an internal circuit board? That is big news. If it works well, not having to add a separate box would seem to make iSudar the way to go. Please let us know how the install goes.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 05:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LSR
WHOA! It doesn’t have the extra box module? Just an internal circuit board? That is big news. If it works well, not having to add a separate box would seem to make iSudar the way to go. Please let us know how the install goes.

Yes, that is a game changer.

Wondering if there is another wiring harness too.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:27 AM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 77 Posts

I wanted a backup camera as well as Wireless Apple CarPlay. Without the box you cannot do that. While mine was made by IDCORE in Britain, during my research I was very impressed with Anthony and his product. 9XX may be the only product that offers screen mirroring, mine does not.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docskeet
I wanted a backup camera as well as Wireless Apple CarPlay. Without the box you cannot do that. While mine was made by IDCORE in Britain, during my research I was very impressed with Anthony and his product. 9XX may be the only product that offers screen mirroring, mine does not.
According to iSudar’s website, it’s single internal board solution does offer AirPlay (screen mirroring). The site lists these product features:

Product features:
Support Wired and wireless connections for carplay and android auto.
Support On-line map, Spotify, Phone,Messages, Podcasts..
Support Control Voice(Siri) by Button
Support Apple mobile phone wireless projection technology (mirror link)
Support high quality sound quality, EQ adjustment
Support front and rear view camera input.
Support Original camera and parking sensor,
Support Steering wheel control
Support USB video, music playback, U-Disk.
Support 5.0GHZ Wifi built in
Old 07-25-2021, 10:49 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Yes, that is a game changer.

Wondering if there is another wiring harness too.

Exactly! I wasn't going to mess around with a secondary box, but installing a single circuit board and changing out a wiring harness is easy.

The only complication I have is that I already have a backup camera installed, so I'm going to have to figure out the wiring harness piece so that I don't mess up my backup camera, but replacing harnesses is really easy. If you can do the PCM board addition, you can switch out harnesses.

I'll caution, that if the product works, then I'll be happy, but remember my comment that they didn't send instructions and sent the wrong standoffs. I'm still perturbed that I had to go on Amazon to order a standoff kit to get the right height. I would chalk this up to typical Chinese customer service.

You'll see that the standoffs shown by the guy in the first video are around 1.5" long and doubled up. iSudar only sent the single standoff that are shorter, so if you open the box and only see three short standoffs and not 3 long, or 6 short, then don't start the job, just order a standoff kit off Amazon and don't start the job until you have them in hand. The standoffs are the things that allow the board that you're adding to sit above the Sirius XM board. You're stalled without them.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 07-25-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I have a backup camera too.

Definitely keep us posted.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2021, 02:17 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

… remember my comment that they didn't send instructions and sent the wrong standoffs. I'm still perturbed that I had to go on Amazon to order a standoff kit to get the right height. I would chalk this up to typical Chinese customer service.
If you still don’t have instructions, you can find a user guide on iSudar’s website here: https://cdn.shopifycdn.net/s/files/1...f?v=1624432304. These appear to be mostly just pictures with some commentary here and there leaving some things to fill in on your own.

Quick Reply: Adding Wireless CarPlay - 9XX Research?