Sponsored by:

TPMS Program?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 02:28 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPMS Program?

My TPMS is bad and issuing warnings when in fact the tires have full pressure.

Did I read somewhere (?) there is some kind of extended coverage of these from Porsche NA due to water getting in these or am I confusing it with another issue?

Old 10-19-2021, 06:50 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by smichael

Did I read somewhere (?) there is some kind of extended coverage of these from Porsche NA due to water getting in these or am I confusing it with another issue?

Old 10-19-2021, 07:00 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

try looking at the settings in the menu and set it to partial load if its on full load
Old 10-20-2021, 05:37 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by smichael

If this is a new symptom, with no other changes, it's possible the TPMS/batteries need replacing? Assuming this is for your 991, a '12 car is getting on 9 years old. Industry sources indicate 100K/5 years, but these are the guys who sell this stuff, so I dunno:

https://www.tpmsdirect.com/OE_TPMS_B...life_a/586.htm

As to "extended coverage", I don't recall seeing any traffic here on RL or elsewhere about water/tpms issues over the last few years, but it is possible. I'm not sure how dampnesse would get into the tire carcass under normal conditions...most air-fill pumps have moisture separators to remove water content from fill air where possible...but could happen I suppose.

Can you post more info on the warnings you are getting, possibly a picture of the display?

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 10-20-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

I think the days of servicing batteries in TMPS is in the past. Just replace the unit.

Quick question to the OP.

What tire pressures are you running?
Is the car computer set to those parameters as well?
When I change out wheels I have very good luck to reset the system when I change from summer to winter back to summer to kick start the relearn process in the carputer.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:49 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

There seems to be a parallel thread over in 718 land. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17697927

I am now plagued with a TPMS failure: This year I went from winter wheels, to summer wheels, to track wheels and back to summer wheels and then track wheels again. Well, it was all going well until the last switch.

Is the car actually remembering the codes for the winter set and the summer set? So that once it learns them you can make the selection in the dash and it will instantly recognize the wheels? (If that is the case, it is a shame they don’t have three to select from!)

I”ll try the ‘switch from summer to winter and wait 5 mins’ approach. But, I am wondering if i have confused the system so much a dealer visit is required?
Old 11-12-2021, 08:03 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
There seems to be a parallel thread over in 718 land. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...l#post17697927

I am now plagued with a TPMS failure: This year I went from winter wheels, to summer wheels, to track wheels and back to summer wheels and then track wheels again. Well, it was all going well until the last switch.

Is the car actually remembering the codes for the winter set and the summer set? So that once it learns them you can make the selection in the dash and it will instantly recognize the wheels? (If that is the case, it is a shame they don’t have three to select from!)

I”ll try the ‘switch from summer to winter and wait 5 mins’ approach. But, I am wondering if i have confused the system so much a dealer visit is required?
From the tire pressure menu in the MFD you go into fill info. Then pick summer or winter. Partial load or full load. Based on that the car checks the tire pressures against the standards. I will call out the differential for you to adjust up or down.

You can have many wheel sets as many of us do. It's simple to change. Once you swap a wheel set you then drive around long enough for the car to register the pressures and then adjust accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 02:37 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
From the tire pressure menu in the MFD you go into fill info. Then pick summer or winter. Partial load or full load. Based on that the car checks the tire pressures against the standards. I will call out the differential for you to adjust up or down.

You can have many wheel sets as many of us do. It's simple to change. Once you swap a wheel set you then drive around long enough for the car to register the pressures and then adjust accordingly.
Right. Just waiting won’t do it. You need to go into the menu and re-choose, even if summer to summer set. Then drive it for a mile or so.
I swap between Sport Cup2s in summer and PSS in what passes for “winter” here, although I’m may go to Conti performance all seasons when these age or wear out, so I don’t have to worry about taking car where there are mountain passes that might have actual cold temps or light snow.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:40 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

I just swapped on my winter set this last weekend. Pulled the car into the driveway, switched the TPMS to my 20" Winter setting, wait about 20 seconds (phone, seat belt, FAL, etc.) and drove off.

It took a grand total of 780 feet, according to google maps, driving at around 20mph before all four sensors were read on my 2017.

Just another data point for how a properly functioning system should work.
Need4S (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 02:46 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
I just swapped on my winter set this last weekend. Pulled the car into the driveway, switched the TPMS to my 20" Winter setting, wait about 20 seconds (phone, seat belt, FAL, etc.) and drove off.

It took a grand total of 780 feet, according to google maps, driving at around 20mph before all four sensors were read on my 2017.

Just another data point for how a properly functioning system should work.
Off topic but what tires do you run in winter?
Old 11-20-2021, 02:51 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Im not answering for him, but I’m on Michelin Alpin. I am very happy. No issues with them and they have handled well at 141.
Need4S (11-21-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 03:15 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Alpin PA4s here.

We don't have a good snow tire option in our size. They're all "performance winter" tires, which sacrifice the snow traction I'm looking for in the name of dry performance. My Miata with General Altimax Arctics did better in the snow we get here.

That's not to say they're incapable. They're still wildly better than all-seasons, and fantastic on our salted, plowed roads. It just sucks that the only season-appropriate choice I have is between the PA4s and the Sottos, particularly when I go lake driving or blizzard driving.
Need4S (11-21-2021)

Quick Reply: TPMS Program?