Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran over cone & rear plastic mud guard snapped out of place. Can I manually reattach?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 08:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Ran over cone & rear plastic mud guard snapped out of place. Can I manually reattach?

Was driving and ran over a cone. Knocked the rear mud guard out of place. Is there a way to reattach it myself? I tried pushing it up to snap it back or pounding it to see if it clicks into place, but no dice.

Any advice?

Old 11-02-2021, 09:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Buy a new one from places like Sunset or Suncoast Porsche. They are not expensive. About $30.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:28 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
Buy a new one from places like Sunset or Suncoast Porsche. They are not expensive. About $30.
Thanks. How easy is it to install?

I’m still unsure if the piece itself is broken or if something it ties to broke. There’s a screw in it that came undone from whatever it was attached to.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:03 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

https://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/o...0aAiYsEALw_wcB

If it's number 8 as shown in the diagram above it might have a screw holding it in place.

If it ripped through the plastic you might have to add a washer to hold the piece back in place.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,510 Posts

It's pretty easy to replace. A lift would make it a lot easier. Removing the rear wheel also helps with access, if I remember correctly. Replaced one in late 2019 when doing the rear brakes.

When you order the splash guard, also order some blue touch-up paint. Those marks in your texture paint will touch-up super easy, and look fine.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 AM
K-A
Drifting

Thank you guys. How do I take off the original part? Also, there definitely appears to be a screw. If it did rip through the plastic, will I still need a washer if I get a new part?
Old 11-02-2021, 12:11 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 106 Posts

If its anything like the 987, the screw holds a spring clip.

You likely don’t need to replace it.

Pull down the mudguard slightly and shine a light to take a look.

You may have to pull it slightly forward to line up the spring clip with the square hole.

Once its lined up hold it up in position with one hand and use your other hand to pop it in with your palm

Last edited by 991Targa4S; 11-02-2021 at 12:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
K-A (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:23 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

Nothing to add to the discussion other than to say hello to K-A whom I remember from the BMW board what seems like a lifetime ago. Hope you are well.
The following users liked this post:
K-A (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:41 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by 991Targa4S
If its anything like the 987, the screw holds a spring clip.

You likely don’t need to replace it.

Pull down the mudguard slightly and shine a light to take a look.

You may have to pull it slightly forward to line up the spring clip with the square hole.

Once its lined up hold it up in position with one hand and use your other hand to pop it in with your palm

That’s what I was hoping! Around the screw is indeed a clip of sole sort. It’s kind of a V shape wrapping around the screw upwards (not sure if that’s a spring clip). I tried popping it back in, so far to no avail. Maybe I’ll try pushing it forward more so. If I press the clip/screw area up into the bottom of the car, the flap lines up perfectly with the rocker panel as it should. But when I let go it just sags down again. Can’t get it to clip or click into anything. I’ll get a picture of the actual screw later today.

Originally Posted by WJGreer
Nothing to add to the discussion other than to say hello to K-A whom I remember from the BMW board what seems like a lifetime ago. Hope you are well.
Hey my friend! Hope you’re well too. Good to see you and some familiar faces. Been a while both here and definitely on the BMW boards. Definitely feels like a lifetime ago. I think we’ve all aged eternities in the years between then, lol.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:30 PM
991Targa4S
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
That’s what I was hoping! Around the screw is indeed a clip of sole sort. It’s kind of a V shape wrapping around the screw upwards (not sure if that’s a spring clip). I tried popping it back in, so far to no avail. Maybe I’ll try pushing it forward more so. If I press the clip/screw area up into the bottom of the car, the flap lines up perfectly with the rocker panel as it should. But when I let go it just sags down again. Can’t get it to clip or click into anything. I’ll get a picture of the actual screw later today.

Hey my friend! Hope you’re well too. Good to see you and some familiar faces. Been a while both here and definitely on the BMW boards. Definitely feels like a lifetime ago. I think we’ve all aged eternities in the years between then, lol.
yup same thing

Line up the spring with the hole.

Then hold it up with one hand and pop it in with the other.

If you don’t hold the spring clip to the square hole it will never go in by just blindly punching it in

Old 11-02-2021, 09:06 PM
K-A
Drifting

yup same thing

If you don’t hold the spring clip to the square hole it will never go in by just blindly punching it in
Hmm interesting. Thanks for the info. I’ll go downstairs and try again. I could’ve sworn I did line it up but I guess I didn’t since I didn’t really get on the ground and try to see where exactly the hole in relation with the screw is.

Is there something that would usually be attached to the hole (like a plastic piece to allow it some give) that may have broken off? It feels like like a square bare metal hole. I’ll try to grab a picture if it doesn’t work.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:16 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's pretty easy to replace. A lift would make it a lot easier. Removing the rear wheel also helps with access, if I remember correctly. Replaced one in late 2019 when doing the rear brakes.

When you order the splash guard, also order some blue touch-up paint. Those marks in your texture paint will touch-up super easy, and look fine.
yup same thing

So got some pics. Does it look like nothing is broken and I can just pop it back in?

So far I’ve tried to no avail. Can’t tell if I’m getting the spring lined up right but it’s hard to adjust the mud guard forward or back since it doesn’t budge much. Am I simply not applying enough pressure to pop it in? Maybe need to get it on a lift or lay down to do it.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:31 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,116 Likes on 665 Posts

Remove the screw, pop the clip into the hole and then replace the screw.
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
991Targa4S (11-03-2021), CSK 911 C4S (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 12:05 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by polobai
Remove the screw, pop the clip into the hole and then replace the screw.
Thanks.

If I pop the clip into the hole while it’s not connected to a screw, won’t it just fall into a random place in said hole? I’m sure I’m not understanding you right or my brain isn’t able to wrap around it.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:30 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,116 Likes on 665 Posts

In that case back the screw out about 85% of the way while it still engages the clip and holds it in. Pop it in place and tighten the screw.

Quick Reply: Ran over cone & rear plastic mud guard snapped out of place. Can I manually reattach?