Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling like I made a mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 10:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Sell it and get a 718 Spyder, like I did; however, I had a 991.2 Targa GTS that I loved as well, so it is up to you!
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
GT3FZS (04-12-2022), mc3456 (03-27-2022), Patk35 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:07 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,961 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Sell it and get a 718 Spyder, like I did; however, I had a 991.2 Targa GTS that I loved as well, so it is up to you!
LOL
The following users liked this post:
GSBruce (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:30 PM
Imola02
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you either feel it our you dont. I have dreamed of a 911 my whole life and picked one up last spring. I live in the midwest so have 6 months of driving at best. I pulled the cover off a couple weeks ago and getting it cleaned up for the season. Long story short every time I walk out to the garage I am counting the days to get it on the road. It is my happy place going on an early morning weekend drive in the country. I love every minute of it. Its certainly not the fastest car but rowing through the gears and the exhaust note = a lot of smiles per mile....
The following 3 users liked this post by Imola02:
d-- (03-24-2022), GT3FZS (04-12-2022), Patk35 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:34 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I think it's about coming to terms with what you want. It's either quality of drives over quantity where you do a few thousand exciting miles per year or it's a semi-daily.

Why are you taking the RRS? Why do you feel people are trying to wreck your drive or out to crash you?

I assure you, most people don't even notice the car and they don't care what you drive. My guess is you're mentally very aware of what you're driving and projecting that bias onto everyone else. You notice 911s so everyone notices 911s.

My suggestion is to drive it every day for two weeks regardless of weather or embrace that it's for fun drives only. If that doesn't work, it sounds like one car is better for you than two.
The following 2 users liked this post by iammacey:
d-- (03-24-2022), GT3FZS (04-12-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:46 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Drive the 911 as much as you can for a few weeks. If you don’t enjoy it then move on because there are many great cars out there. If you want a weekend fun car there are many more interesting and exclusive options. Having a 911 and not daily driving it (weather permitting) is like having a dishwasher but hand washing your dishes instead IMO. The good news is that current market pricing probably means you’ll make money if you sell your 991.

Cheers,
NF
The following 3 users liked this post by NF4710:
CTDan (03-25-2022), d-- (03-24-2022), Patk35 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:05 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 284 Posts

Where are you in NJ? I will take you for a ride on the streets/highways in NJ in my manual base 997 and I will show you how to enjoy a 911. I am the crazy one, no one is trying to kill me. If that doesn't do it for you, you are just not a 911 person, which is ok - then you sell it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sporty:
GT3FZS (04-12-2022), Jimmyk79 (04-19-2022), Patk35 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:12 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi OP. I think I know your dilemma; I think!
when I got my 911.1 a few years ago I felt really guilty to spend that much money on a car. In your case living up north you probably felt even more guilty. I sought confirmation from family that I didn’t make a mistake (how can it be a mistake?). A month do driving it I felt less bad for buying the 991.1. I enjoys it so much more when the weather was warmer and I could bring the top down. That felt amazing. Granted my 911 was a base and wasn’t THAT powerful but gosh I miss that NA engine so much. Yes I sold it last year and got the 991.2 because I hated how the 991.1 was so basic (outdated maps, PCM, etc). Now I have the 991.2 and miss the sound of my previous 911 and the way it accelerated. My 991.2 feels too smooth (almost like driving a Sedan) but definitely faster than the 991.1… that said I am still happy to be driving a 911. Btw I’d love to get myself a Range Rover. You have my two fav cars. One day god willing

Don’t know how to advise you but if something doesn’t make you happy…
Jimmyk79 (04-19-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:16 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Im assuming we live close to eavh other abd i have much the same feeling. With work and other life responsibilities, i dont have time to take 1 hour drives to find good roads, another 1 hr back and 1 hr in the nice area. Not to mention that all the good driving roads are filled with slowpokes, cops, homes with potential children running around, or hikers means that ive lost nearly all desire to go out driving. And for a normal trip to wherever, driving my 911 doesnt do much for me.

My thought has been to for something like a 356 or xk120 jag which would be an event regardless of destination.

Having to find reasons to drive your 100k sports car sucks.

Now i do some racing and track days which also helps to kill the appeal of hard street driving
vanlieremead (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:20 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyDL757
Interesting. I also have had multiple RRs… a 2016 RRS, a 2018 RRS, a 2017 RR and now a 2020 RR. I love the quality and tech on the RRs, but on the sports always felt they were very underpowered (although handling is great). The sound on the V6 is…hondaesque. I recently picked up my 3rd 911, my first 991.2, a C2S. I was skeptical on the turbos, but the .2 is really a phenomenal car. I drive it every time the sun is out, even just for 20 minutes a day to relax and smile.

If it doesn’t do that for you… do something else. I love the sound between 3 and 5k rpm, I love the full leather, I love the CarPlay in the .2, and I love the feeling of shifting through the gears, plus the burbles in sport. Decided I am no longer driving cars I don’t love. I came out of an M5 back to the 911, and I really disliked it. It was too much and yet numb/quiet at the same time.

Now I have the 911, the Rover, and a Raptor. Perfect for any occasion
I have the V8 sport so the power is all there for my needs.

Originally Posted by iammacey
I think it's about coming to terms with what you want. It's either quality of drives over quantity where you do a few thousand exciting miles per year or it's a semi-daily.

Why are you taking the RRS? Why do you feel people are trying to wreck your drive or out to crash you?

I assure you, most people don't even notice the car and they don't care what you drive. My guess is you're mentally very aware of what you're driving and projecting that bias onto everyone else. You notice 911s so everyone notices 911s.

My suggestion is to drive it every day for two weeks regardless of weather or embrace that it's for fun drives only. If that doesn't work, it sounds like one car is better for you than two.
I think you're onto something here, it's definitely more on my end than the cars. When someone's in front of me driving slowly in the 911 I get pissed, in the RRS it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm paying more attention being in the 911 but I notice how inattentive of drivers most people are. Being low to the ground I feel more vulnerable as opposed to in the RRS which feels like a tank.

Originally Posted by NF4710
Drive the 911 as much as you can for a few weeks. If you don’t enjoy it then move on because there are many great cars out there. If you want a weekend fun car there are many more interesting and exclusive options. Having a 911 and not daily driving it (weather permitting) is like having a dishwasher but hand washing your dishes instead IMO. The good news is that current market pricing probably means you’ll make money if you sell your 991.

Cheers,
NF
I'm thinking this is what I need to do.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:21 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Cigars, scotch, gin, art, wine, 911s, all things I believe are acquired tastes. They are not for everyone. The noise, ride that some would consider harsh, even the gravel the makes a racket in the wheel wells have you saying "they can't be serious"! I too started my quest for a 911 from my great experience with a Cayenne. Test drove about a half dozen .1s, and just could not pull the trigger. Took me almost two years until I drove a manual .2 and pulled the trigger because it was for me. Five years later, and not a lot of miles, it isn't going anywhere.
Don't keep it if it isn't for you. I have sold a bunch of cars in less than a year and would like to have sold others sooner if the depreciation wasn't so bad. Move on and don't sweat it. Happens.
The following 3 users liked this post by PJ Cayenne:
911T4ME (04-11-2022), core22 (03-24-2022), CPL55 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 11:47 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Where are you in NJ? I will take you for a ride on the streets/highways in NJ in my manual base 997 and I will show you how to enjoy a 911. I am the crazy one, no one is trying to kill me. If that doesn't do it for you, you are just not a 911 person, which is ok - then you sell it.
I'm by Giants Stadium, which is a bit of a madhouse at the best of times.

Originally Posted by jbendaou
Hi OP. I think I know your dilemma; I think!
when I got my 911.1 a few years ago I felt really guilty to spend that much money on a car. In your case living up north you probably felt even more guilty. I sought confirmation from family that I didn’t make a mistake (how can it be a mistake?). A month do driving it I felt less bad for buying the 991.1. I enjoys it so much more when the weather was warmer and I could bring the top down. That felt amazing. Granted my 911 was a base and wasn’t THAT powerful but gosh I miss that NA engine so much. Yes I sold it last year and got the 991.2 because I hated how the 991.1 was so basic (outdated maps, PCM, etc). Now I have the 991.2 and miss the sound of my previous 911 and the way it accelerated. My 991.2 feels too smooth (almost like driving a Sedan) but definitely faster than the 991.1… that said I am still happy to be driving a 911. Btw I’d love to get myself a Range Rover. You have my two fav cars. One day god willing

Don’t know how to advise you but if something doesn’t make you happy…
Thanks for the advice. I actually bought the Sport from Paul Miller Porsche ~3yrs ago when I went in to test a 997.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Im assuming we live close to eavh other abd i have much the same feeling. With work and other life responsibilities, i dont have time to take 1 hour drives to find good roads, another 1 hr back and 1 hr in the nice area. Not to mention that all the good driving roads are filled with slowpokes, cops, homes with potential children running around, or hikers means that ive lost nearly all desire to go out driving. And for a normal trip to wherever, driving my 911 doesnt do much for me.

My thought has been to for something like a 356 or xk120 jag which would be an event regardless of destination.

Having to find reasons to drive your 100k sports car sucks.

Now i do some racing and track days which also helps to kill the appeal of hard street driving
You hit the nail on the head, it's not so much as there's something wrong with the car as I don't live in an area where I can really enjoy it.

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Cigars, scotch, gin, art, wine, 911s, all things I believe are acquired tastes. They are not for everyone. The noise, ride that some would consider harsh, even the gravel the makes a racket in the wheel wells have you saying "they can't be serious"! I too started my quest for a 911 from my great experience with a Cayenne. Test drove about a half dozen .1s, and just could not pull the trigger. Took me almost two years until I drove a manual .2 and pulled the trigger because it was for me. Five years later, and not a lot of miles, it isn't going anywhere.
Don't keep it if it isn't for you. I have sold a bunch of cars in less than a year and would like to have sold others sooner if the depreciation wasn't so bad. Move on and don't sweat it. Happens.
I think the issue is more does a sports car fit in my life than should I have a 911 as my sports car. It has so much personality I just don't get to appreciate it like I want to.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:14 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Like the other have said, once you have your chances to drive it more you will love it.
Patk35 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 02:00 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Patk35
​​​​​​Local PCA has an hpde day coming up, I will look into this. Very good idea thanks for the suggestion.
I agree you should do a DE event; these cars are so capable on the track and regular street driving simply does not give you the full appreciation. If after that event you feel you want to sell it, then by all means do so; as others have said its a sellers market. If, however, you do feel the connection, then just tell yourself that the few times you do drive it (and hopefully, there will be more and more) the time behind the wheel is all the more special.

I am fortunate that my 991.1 is my daily driver and every time I drop the top, its a glorious feeling (even when I am going slow, which is most of the time LOL).
Patk35 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 02:04 AM
z168
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

We enjoy our cars in varying degrees. That said, my personal indicator of knowing I bought the right (enthusiast) car is when I enjoy driving it as much as staring at it in the garage.

Sell it and get another one. You might have an affinity for the italian flair

The following 2 users liked this post by z168:
Patk35 (03-24-2022), Watson (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 06:01 AM
NI3
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 59 Posts

I stand by what I said earlier, sell the car. It is obviously not the car for you. You drove it a 1000 miles. You still have these feelings. Don't force it, sell it and stick with the Range. If you keep the car, chasing the small gremlins/issues that arise with 911 ownership isn't going to improve your feelings for the car.

Last edited by NI3; 03-24-2022 at 06:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NI3:
desmotesta (03-24-2022), Pb Pedis (03-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Feeling like I made a mistake....