Sponsored by:

No Clue what I need to upgrade Engine/ Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 04:24 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default No Clue what I need to upgrade Engine/ Exhaust sound

i have read many posts and for the life of me I just cannot figure out what is needed to upgrade my 2019 base 991.2 “exhaust”. Am using quotes for a reason… am not even sure the exhaust is what is needed to be replaced.

I had a 2013 base 991.1 and OMG that Naturally aspirated engine was insanely sounding with base exhaust (no PSE, etc.)
While reading posts, people are talking about cats, straight pipes, X pipes, exhaust, Soul, etc. What on earth is a cat? And everything else!?

if anyone can PLEASE just explain it for non handy/mechanical people? What do I need to make my 991.2 sound better? I don’t want it to sound like a loud car when not moving but when am accelerating I want some “sound”.

naturally I reached out to Porsche and asked for PSE upgrade ( this was the simplest option in my mind since this is what I would have gotten from Porsche if ordered new), they asked for 6K. There is no way I’d spend that much (2.5K max?). if someone can please make an easy response for a non tech person to know what he needs to do/spend.

Last edited by jbendaou; 07-10-2022 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Praecox (08-23-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 04:35 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,961 Likes on 937 Posts

Buy a .1 GTS/GT3 .. problem solved

Glorious sound track, all the time!

Yes, I understand that my response isn't helpful
Old 07-10-2022, 04:44 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Just ordered one. Thanks for the suggestion!

I wouldn’t go back to a 991.1 unless I had to own more than one 911. The whole reason I went to .2 is for the tech upgrade that is just not available on the .1.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:50 PM
911Raider
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

So you want a turbo to sound like the naturally aspirated you would never go back to? You may just have to pick your poison and live with it.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:55 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Absolutely NOT what I said. I was saying i miss the sound of my 991.1 and would like to do some
upgrades to give the car some sound and would appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction and not just throw words like get a cat, get X get Y.

am pretty much asking if someone can help me understand what it will take to upgrade the exhaust. I understand this may be a big ask from the internet but wth not. Got nothing to lose to ask.
NI3 (08-20-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 05:16 PM
911Raider
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jbendaou;[url=tel:18241561
18241561[/url]]Absolutely NOT what I said. I was saying i miss the sound of my 991.1 and would like to do some
upgrades to give the car some sound and would appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction and not just throw words like get a cat, get X get Y.

am pretty much asking if someone can help me understand what it will take to upgrade the exhaust. I understand this may be a big ask from the internet but wth not. Got nothing to lose to ask.
I understand. The Porsche community uses more abbreviations for everything possible and more acronyms than I’ve ever seen before.
jbendaou (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 05:34 PM
IronTexan
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately $2.5K isn't going to get you there. If you don't have the PSE your best bet is probably going to be sport cats "catalytic converters" from Soul or Fabspeed and the Soul non PSE cat back with the drone reduction tubes. If you had PSE you could forgo the catback. Another option would be the Sharkwerks catback, but the consensus seems to be cats over catback. You could add headers as well, they tend to change the tone but not really add much volume. Those are pretty much your options with a 991.2
jbendaou (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 07:47 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by jbendaou
i have read many posts and for the life of me I just cannot figure out what is needed to upgrade my 2019 base 991.2 “exhaust”. Am using quotes for a reason… am not even sure the exhaust is what is needed to be replaced.

I had a 2013 base 991.1 and OMG that Naturally aspirated engine was insanely sounding with base exhaust (no PSE, etc.)
While reading posts, people are talking about cats, straight pipes, X pipes, exhaust, Soul, etc. What on earth is a cat? And everything else!?

if anyone can PLEASE just explain it for non handy/mechanical people? What do I need to make my 991.2 sound better? I don’t want it to sound like a loud car when not moving but when am accelerating I want some “sound”.

naturally I reached out to Porsche and asked for PSE upgrade ( this was the simplest option in my mind since this is what I would have gotten from Porsche if ordered new), they asked for 6K. There is no way I’d spend that much (2.5K max?). if someone can please make an easy response for a non tech person to know what he needs to do/spend.
In all seriousness, buy this off of me: Soul TrackBack exhaust

As you don’t have PSE you’ll need to get a PSE rear valence, but that’s not expensive. You could do it all for $2500.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:40 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 118 Posts

Hit on SOUL.com and you'll get everything you need answered.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:54 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viper1000
Hit on SOUL.com and you'll get everything you need answered.
thanks but looks like you shared the wrong link. This site is not about exhausts.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:05 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Soul’s internet site is soulpp.com
jbendaou (07-11-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 10:06 PM
IronTexan
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks but looks like you shared the wrong link. This site is not about exhausts.
https://soulpp.com/product-category/...2-without-pse/
Old 07-10-2022, 10:27 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

Get this Soul package you will be very happy: https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...treet-package/
Old 07-10-2022, 10:58 PM
Pakman996-991.2
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

See above pic courtesy of Michael @mc3456

This shows an Akrapovic muffler and cats (the two cylinders at the each side) I bought the cats from him since I already have PSE from factory.

Given your limited budget it’s going to be hard to find a new muffler but you can probably find a used PSE or other brand mufflers. The Akra mufflers are $6,400 new but Akra is usually the priciest.

So look for a used set of mufflers first and if that doesn’t work then consider cats. You can find used SOUL or Akra cats for $1,500-2,000 and then have them installed. It’s a 2 hour job so maybe budget $300 for labor.

Quick overview of the terminology:Headers: Located above cats. They change the tone of sound. Makes it deeper or throatier.

Catalytic converters: These are located below the headers/turbos and before the muffler/exhaust. Aftermarket cats let more air pass through and less restriction creates a louder sound. SOUL & Akrapovic both have 200 cel options. I believe factory cats are 600 cel. Less cells = more air flow = better/louder sound.

Straight pipe: This option removes the cats altogether. This will trigger a an engine check light and will likely cause State inspection issues. The other negatives include the fact that it’s bad for the environment and you can smell fumes. Without PSE this will create a lot of drone as well.

Exhaust: This is your muffler. I have factory PSE and this gives me the ability to by pass the muffler and increase sound with a button which controls valves in the muffler. You can buy an aftermarket exhaust system with or without the valves. Some say you will notice drone with aftermarket exhaust systems and that’s why PSE is popular.

Brands:
Akrapovic
SOUL
Vektor
Sharkwerks

If you don’t care about drone and being loud in general then @Zylinderkopfdichtung setup is the way to go. Great price and value. If I didn’t have PSE I would have bought his setup instead of just getting cats.

If not keep checking Rennlist Marketplace and something will pop up eventually if you are patient. Good luck!

Last edited by Pakman996-991.2; 07-10-2022 at 11:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pakman996-991.2:
911hammer (07-13-2022), 911Raider (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 07:53 AM
jbendaou
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pakman996-991.2

See above pic courtesy of Michael @mc3456

This shows an Akrapovic muffler and cats (the two cylinders at the each side) I bought the cats from him since I already have PSE from factory.

Given your limited budget it’s going to be hard to find a new muffler but you can probably find a used PSE or other brand mufflers. The Akra mufflers are $6,400 new but Akra is usually the priciest.

So look for a used set of mufflers first and if that doesn’t work then consider cats. You can find used SOUL or Akra cats for $1,500-2,000 and then have them installed. It’s a 2 hour job so maybe budget $300 for labor.

Quick overview of the terminology:Headers: Located above cats. They change the tone of sound. Makes it deeper or throatier.

Catalytic converters: These are located below the headers/turbos and before the muffler/exhaust. Aftermarket cats let more air pass through and less restriction creates a louder sound. SOUL & Akrapovic both have 200 cel options. I believe factory cats are 600 cel. Less cells = more air flow = better/louder sound.

Straight pipe: This option removes the cats altogether. This will trigger a an engine check light and will likely cause State inspection issues. The other negatives include the fact that it’s bad for the environment and you can smell fumes. Without PSE this will create a lot of drone as well.

Exhaust: This is your muffler. I have factory PSE and this gives me the ability to by pass the muffler and increase sound with a button which controls valves in the muffler. You can buy an aftermarket exhaust system with or without the valves. Some say you will notice drone with aftermarket exhaust systems and that’s why PSE is popular.

Brands:
Akrapovic
SOUL
Vektor
Sharkwerks

If you don’t care about drone and being loud in general then @Zylinderkopfdichtung setup is the way to go. Great price and value. If I didn’t have PSE I would have bought his setup instead of just getting cats.

If not keep checking Rennlist Marketplace and something will pop up eventually if you are patient. Good luck!
thank you so much for this! This is very helpful! Now I know what I need done to get better sound. understanding this makes spending more than my initial budget of 2.5k a lot more acceptable.

Quick Reply: No Clue what I need to upgrade Engine/ Exhaust sound