Sponsored by:

Multi function Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 01:48 PM
rmoudry
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi function Wheel Swap

I would like to swap my sports steering wheel for a multi function unit. My 911 has sport chrono and PDK, no heat in the wheel. Has anyone done this, is it plug and play (are the connections present in my current clock spring, etc). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-16-2022, 02:03 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

991.2 specific thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1273...diy-video.html

991.2 wheel in a 991.1 thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9943...a-991-1-a.html
Old 07-17-2022, 11:43 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by rmoudry
I would like to swap my sports steering wheel for a multi function unit. My 911 has sport chrono and PDK, no heat in the wheel. Has anyone done this, is it plug and play (are the connections present in my current clock spring, etc). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I am about to undertake this challenge. I have a Sport Design steering wheel like yours minus the paddles. My car is a 991.1 C2S manual.

Based on my research, here are the steps I think are required for 991.1 non-MF steering wheel to be upgraded to 991.2 MF unit.

1. Obtain a 991.2 steering wheel with MF controls
2. Obtain the gpsadapter
3. Install the adapter into the 991.2 wheel
4. install the new wheel into the car
5. Test MF functionality. If it works, celebrate! Otherwise go to 6
6. Obtain Piwis code for enabling MF on 991.1 Need to contact Suncoast or another provider. These codes are VIN specific and cost $$.
7. Find a shop or a friend with access to Piwis and follow steps available on gpsadapter website to enable MF controls in car’s computer. Use code from step 6 to enable.

Old 07-18-2022, 05:10 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
I am about to undertake this challenge. I have a Sport Design steering wheel like yours minus the paddles. My car is a 991.1 C2S manual.

Based on my research, here are the steps I think are required for 991.1 non-MF steering wheel to be upgraded to 991.2 MF unit.

1. Obtain a 991.2 steering wheel with MF controls
2. Obtain the gpsadapter
3. Install the adapter into the 991.2 wheel
4. install the new wheel into the car
5. Test MF functionality. If it works, celebrate! Otherwise go to 6
6. Obtain Piwis code for enabling MF on 991.1 Need to contact Suncoast or another provider. These codes are VIN specific and cost $$.
7. Find a shop or a friend with access to Piwis and follow steps available on gpsadapter website to enable MF controls in car’s computer. Use code from step 6 to enable.
I've done this on my car - 2012 991.1 C2S PDK with Sport Chrono
Since you have Sport Chrono (the MF stalk is the main component required), the wheel MF functionality works out of the box with the GPS adapter (volume, scroll, phone, back buttons etc)
The only thing for which you'll need coding is to enable the Joker (diamond) button on the wheel which you can program via the gauge cluster menus to do different things (skip track, change source etc).
This part of coding can be done with PIWIS or PIWIS clone and does NOT require an "activation code" privy only to dealers. GPSAdapter has instructions on their website.

If you don't have Sport Chrono (meaning the car has no controls other than PCM), then you will need a dealer to activate MF for you (it requires an "activation code" that only dealers have, I don't think Indy's can do it).

Old 07-18-2022, 05:18 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
I've done this on my car - 2012 991.1 C2S PDK with Sport Chrono
Since you have Sport Chrono (the MF stalk is the main component required), the wheel MF functionality works out of the box with the GPS adapter (volume, scroll, phone, back buttons etc)
The only thing for which you'll need coding is to enable the Joker (diamond) button on the wheel which you can program via the gauge cluster menus to do different things (skip track, change source etc).
This part of coding can be done with PIWIS or PIWIS clone and does NOT require an "activation code" privy only to dealers. GPSAdapter has instructions on their website.

If you don't have Sport Chrono (meaning the car has no controls other than PCM), then you will need a dealer to activate MF for you (it requires an "activation code" that only dealers have, I don't think Indy's can do it).
My car doesn't have Sport Chrono. I think Indy's can activate as long as the activation code is available
Old 07-21-2022, 11:56 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

I am happy to report that I was able to successfully upgrade to the 991.2 MF steering wheel!
The activation code was required, and we had to put Piwis in Engineering mode to enable MF.

Quick Reply: Multi function Wheel Swap