Sponsored by:

Help with tour of Europe with European delivery

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 07:00 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Help with tour of Europe with European delivery

Wifey and I are thinking of doing a European delivery and driving to Italy Greece and back to Germany.
If anyone could give me how to find a touring guide information. We Would like to know where to go and stay to make the loop . We were planning on two weeks .
Any info would be appreciated

Last edited by Tbounds; 07-16-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:25 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
Wifey and I are thinking of doing a European delivery and driving to Italy Greece and back to Germany.
If anyone could give me how to find a touring guide information. We Would like to know where to go and stay to make the loop . We were planning on two weeks .
Any info would be appreciated
Germany, Italy and Greece in two weeks. You have looked at a map, right?

My advice is to be very selective (restrictive) in what you want to see. It’s a big place and unless you plan to do nothing but drive for two weeks, you will end up seeing nothing.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:18 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 187 Posts

Two weeks? Stuttgart to Athens is 1500 miles, and those aren’t easy miles. East of Austria it starts to get sketchy.

I say this as somebody who lived in southern Germany for the better part of a decade: with two weeks you should tour Bavaria and pop over to Salzburg and Vienna.
The following users liked this post:
Pavegeno928 (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 09:01 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts

I’ll second Bavaria, and Salzburg. Northern Italy and Switzerland as well. Those mountain passes do get tiring. It takes long and you don’t go far. Vienna is a haul but doable.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:17 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I was just looking at google map driving times it looked like only 15 hours driving each way , must be more to it.
do you have to go thru customs for each country entry
Old 07-17-2022, 12:19 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,116 Likes on 665 Posts

We did a week of Germany and Paris(took the train to Paris) when doing Euro delivery and it was not nearly enough. I agree that two weeks is not enough for your planned visits. I would stay in Germany and the neighboring/easy drives. Your euro delivery sales rep can probably provide some good pointers.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:16 PM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

As others have said: not enough time to do all that properly. Also would not take a new Porsche south of Milan or east of Vienna. Getting dings ans scrapes is the least of your worries. There used to be a time (maybe still is?) when rental companies would not let you take a car there for a reason. Southern German, Austria and Switzerland is plenty of great driving!
Old 07-17-2022, 09:29 PM
sy1616
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I thought European delivery was cancelled?
Old 07-17-2022, 10:22 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

There is a European delivery subforums. Might get good info there. 😉
Old 07-20-2022, 06:48 AM
biggreek
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd do it, because I drive a lot and enjoy it. But it's a lot of driving in a short amount of time. You might not get to really really enjoy the car, just because you'll be doing the long distance thing.

South Germany/Austria in the alps is absolutely beautiful. I'd just stay in a selected area, enjoy and explore the area in depth instead of a big huge journey.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbounds
We were planning on two weeks. Any info would be appreciated
What do you want to see?

I just got back from spending 43 days in Germany, Austria, Northern Italy and Switzerland on my motorcycle. You won't see anything in 14 days unless you are just there for the t-shirt. And if you go in July and August, be prepared for high density traffic and in a car, you'll be stuck in it.

There are some great mountain passes with spectacular views. Then there are other passes you should stay off of.

Now this is a hotel room with a view...so put up your feet, have some wine and relax at the end of the day. During the day, go for some great drives.

Passo del San Gottardo (Tremola) in Switzerland...

I've been riding the Alps from Slovenia to France for 26 years. Know my way around...no maps needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by IXLR8:
ngamountains (07-20-2022), shammerman (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:20 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts

I would reach out to Michael Polzler (pseudo name) of the Porsche 911 Facebook page as he lives (and drives) all through that region.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:55 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
I would reach out to Michael Polzler (pseudo name) of the Porsche 911 Facebook page as he lives (and drives) all through that region.
Well lets hope he knows ebnough to tell "car" drivers to stay off passes like Gavia and those similar to it because when two opposing cars meet, one of them has to back up on the pass road making it miserable for people (motorcyclists) that can pass on the very edge. The two Boxsters I came across coming down the south ramp of the Gavia this year as I was heading up must have been ****ting bricks as my engine protection bars were within inches of their paint. Same goes for those NL plates pulling campers.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:28 AM
capiii
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Alex, Where is that first picture?? And Hotel name?
Old 07-22-2022, 12:39 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by capiii
Alex, Where is that first picture?? And Hotel name?
Hotel Paradiso in Tremosine sul Garda. The rooms were nothing fancy and certainly not air conditioned. During the day, we left the room door open and opened up the door at the end of the hall for a nice breeze while we sat on the balcony. Breakfast was a brioche and coffee, not the usual buffet breakfast I had everywhere else. Of course they made their money in the restaurant. Room costs in Europe are per person and this place was a steal in June at €45 pp/per night.

You'll love the drive to the hotel. I was coming from the north - Riva del Garda. The rider in the video is coming up the road from the south before he turns into the Strada della Forra aka Brasa Schlucht (gorge). Unlike in the video, they close the road to one way traffic for most of the day and when heading back down, you take another nice twisty road towards Limone sul Garda which lies on the main road around the lake.

Quick Reply: Help with tour of Europe with European delivery