Sponsored by:

Rear License Plate Light warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 11:47 AM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Rear License Plate Light warning

When i start up the car and turn on the headlights I get a warning stating that my Rear License Plate Light is not working. In my haste, I figured it was the bulbs. After dropping $90 to replace the light assemblies, I still get the warning and the rear license plate lights are not working. Seems odd that both license plate lights are not working.

I'm wondering if the license plate lights have a dedicated fuse that could be blown (seems unlikely that the these lights have a dedicated fuse) or if the lights some how got disconnected on the other end...behind the bumper. Before I start taking off the rear bumper cover, I wanted to see if you have any suggestions.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:29 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Brake lights work? Backup lights work? Rear spoiler goes up and down without issue?
Old 12-03-2022, 12:34 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by Jack F
Brake lights work? Backup lights work? Rear spoiler goes up and down without issue?
Yes, everything else works.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:51 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

It's not a fuse, nor is it a ground. It's probably just unplugged somewhere, either at a connector or a wire got cut.

The plate lights are both driven by a green/yellow wire from the rear BCM, and they are grounded to GP8, on the left side of engine compartment. GP8 is shared by the brake lights, rear defrost, the coolant level sensor, and some other miscellaneous stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by asellus:
jimmiejam (12-05-2022), MingusDew (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 03:24 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
It's not a fuse, nor is it a ground. It's probably just unplugged somewhere, either at a connector or a wire got cut.

The plate lights are both driven by a green/yellow wire from the rear BCM, and they are grounded to GP8, on the left side of engine compartment. GP8 is shared by the brake lights, rear defrost, the coolant level sensor, and some other miscellaneous stuff.
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2022, 06:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrat
Yes, everything else works.
What is the history of the car in regards to the rear? Recent maintenance work? Modifications? Any love taps with other cars or poles?
Old 12-03-2022, 06:41 PM
roadrat
Pro

What is the history of the car in regards to the rear? Recent maintenance work? Modifications? Any love taps with other cars or poles?
No mods or accidents. I did change the air filters out a year ago and had to remove the bumper cover. I suppose it's possible that I disconnected the cable on the other side as another poster suggested... But the warning light only came only recently.
The following users liked this post:
Laszlo_Laz (12-04-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 01:10 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

That's happened to me twice, most recently last Thursday when my car was in for an 8 yr service ($2,400). They had to remove bumper to change engine air filters and forgot to reconnect the wire for the license plate lights. Pissed me off because I told them that when I was in about a year ago for the heat shield modification/recall, they also failed to reconnect the license plate lights. They assured me that would not happen this time. I turned on my headlights before I left the dealership and there was the warning light again. If I had not checked before I left, I would have had to drive back to dealer to get them to fix the problem they created.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:34 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
That's happened to me twice, most recently last Thursday when my car was in for an 8 yr service ($2,400). They had to remove bumper to change engine air filters and forgot to reconnect the wire for the license plate lights. Pissed me off because I told them that when I was in about a year ago for the heat shield modification/recall, they also failed to reconnect the license plate lights. They assured me that would not happen this time. I turned on my headlights before I left the dealership and there was the warning light again. If I had not checked before I left, I would have had to drive back to dealer to get them to fix the problem they created.
You jogged my memory. My car was in for service in June and I haven't driven it at night since then.

Quick Reply: Rear License Plate Light warning