Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 10:56 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice car and good find. The interior colors are interesting with the dark blue metallic exterior. If you’re still looking to spend money after you add the sport exhaust (or after market exhaust) … consider replacing the multi function button steering wheel with the new multi function steering wheel with paddle shifters.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1005...t-success.html
Old 01-09-2023, 10:58 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

First, a beautiful car and I do hope you get to drive it way more than the 1st owner. Regarding the sound you describe & desire, your car (& mine) had a recall/campaign and in fact is involved in a class action lawsuit for, among other things, a snap crackle pop sound that Sport Chrono equipped cars displayed in Sport & especially in Sport plus mode. The sound was produced with additional gas injected into the exhaust and that was an issue for the EPA and some owners who also discovered their claimed MPG was not correct. The car’s actual mpg did not meet the standard. So although PSE will make more noise (nice sound), if the dealership did the recall software update, you are out of luck. Sorry. I did not take my car in for this reason.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:54 PM
Saul_Goodman
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

10k miles is crazy good. I wish I found something like that
Old 01-10-2023, 12:02 AM
Saul_Goodman
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
First, a beautiful car and I do hope you get to drive it way more than the 1st owner. Regarding the sound you describe & desire, your car (& mine) had a recall/campaign and in fact is involved in a class action lawsuit for, among other things, a snap crackle pop sound that Sport Chrono equipped cars displayed in Sport & especially in Sport plus mode. The sound was produced with additional gas injected into the exhaust and that was an issue for the EPA and some owners who also discovered their claimed MPG was not correct. The car’s actual mpg did not meet the standard. So although PSE will make more noise (nice sound), if the dealership did the recall software update, you are out of luck. Sorry. I did not take my car in for this reason.
Is there a way to tell if a car has had this update? Can it be reversed with programming to late the pops and bangs?
Old 01-10-2023, 12:10 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
LOL I think I sold you my old PSE from LA to SEA right?

to the OP if you want to hear an AWE system on a 991.1 C2S, ping me if you are ever around DTLA. Happy to Rip around with you.
haha, yes sir Luckily it still was a PSE muffler and not base, so I could sell it locally and break even.
The AWE has grown on me.. besides, my 5 yo son loves it too and always asks for loud mode
I still haven't found my ducktail though..
Old 01-10-2023, 02:16 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by UCLA92
I just purchased my first Porsche a 2013 911 2S! It was a CPO with less than 10k miles. It has all the bells and whistles that I wanted, except PSE (you saw that coming). Anyway, I've been in several 991.2 cars with PSE and really enjoyed the PSE. I want my car to be louder and have the pops and bangs on the downshifts. Will I be happy with the OEM PSE installed by my local dealer? Does it sound like the 991.2 PSE on an S model? Or will I have to go straight to the aftermarket? Thanks for your help!

Gorgeous car, minty and well taken care of.

I would go OEM. Keep the car factory-ish. I’m not a big aftermarket fan especially on a very clean, original car like that.

PSE will give you plenty of fun.

Good luck and enjoy that beautiful car.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:56 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 571 Likes on 289 Posts

I just purchased my first Porsche a 2013 911 2S! It was a CPO with less than 10k miles. It has all the bells and whistles that I wanted, except PSE (you saw that coming). Anyway, I've been in several 991.2 cars with PSE and really enjoyed the PSE. I want my car to be louder and have the pops and bangs on the downshifts. Will I be happy with the OEM PSE installed by my local dealer? Does it sound like the 991.2 PSE on an S model? Or will I have to go straight to the aftermarket? Thanks for your help!
Oh boy, are you in for pops and crackles heaven with the 991.1 motor. You already have the valves stock on the S. They open up on their own at a certain RPM. The PSE button only gives you the ability to manually open the S' valves before 3500+/- RPMs. Just get an exhaust like the AWE (that's what I have). Zero drone and nearly OEM in normal mode and low RPM, but put it in sport and listen to it sing and pop. Attached is a video of mine.

https://streamable.com/stetux
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (876.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-10-2023, 12:18 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

The dealer can confirm, and no, I don’t think it can be reversed, and no after market exhaust (even PSE) can’t bring [back] the snap crackle pop sound.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:58 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

With 991.1 OEM PSE at $1900 (Suncoast), what aftermarket options are both better and less expensive? I understand “better” is subjective
Old 01-10-2023, 03:48 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jberb55
With 991.1 OEM PSE at $1900 (Suncoast), what aftermarket options are both better and less expensive? I understand “better” is subjective
$1895 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991SSPSE.html
This is the PSE kit for the S cars => ones that already have the vacuum tubing etc

$2595 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html
This is the PSE kit for base cars => ones that don't have valves or vacuum tubing

In any case, looks like the prices for both AWE and Soul have gone up significantly! (maybe its been a while since I checked).
AWE is $3500 and Soul is $4500! You're right that "better" is subjective - some folks are totally happy with PSE when compared to base.
Others find AWE/Soul to be better than PSE. The best way to find out which one you like is to hear them in person - videos only go so far.

Old 01-10-2023, 04:25 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 134 Posts

@Tier1Terrier thanks for your reply. I guess, what I'm missing with the car are the burbles, pops and bangs on the overrun. The 991.2's I've driven have that and I can't hear anything like that, in any mode, on my new car (at least from the driver's seat).
The burbles and cracks are more from the tune vs the exhaust. Even if you add PSE it won’t really add what you are looking for unless you add an aftermarket tune.

Be careful adding a tune because it will void your CPO if it is detected . Someone on here said it won’t void CPO if you add an aftermarket exhaust that is also false. A car with aftermarket products is NOT eligible to be CPO’d although I have seen some dealers do it. You can run into trouble because PCNA can deny warranty claims if they know you have added after market parts. As a matter of law though they can only deny a warranty claim if the after market part affects the defective part. So if you had a problem with your brakes they can’t deny your claim because you changed the exhaust.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:49 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good point. The $2.6k for the 3.4L kit also includes (needed) tips. But the OP is looking to upgrade an S without PSE. I assume the $1.9k is the applicable one. Pre-2022 was a better time for buying aftermarket exhaust upgrades. Maybe most upgrades.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:56 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
$1895 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991SSPSE.html
This is the PSE kit for the S cars => ones that already have the vacuum tubing etc

$2595 - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html
This is the PSE kit for base cars => ones that don't have valves or vacuum tubing

In any case, looks like the prices for both AWE and Soul have gone up significantly! (maybe its been a while since I checked).
AWE is $3500 and Soul is $4500! You're right that "better" is subjective - some folks are totally happy with PSE when compared to base.
Others find AWE/Soul to be better than PSE. The best way to find out which one you like is to hear them in person - videos only go so far.
HOLY COW, that's insane expensive. I found my AWE used for $900. Not sure I would do $3500 for it.

Old 01-10-2023, 05:42 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jberb55
Good point. The $2.6k for the 3.4L kit also includes (needed) tips. But the OP is looking to upgrade an S without PSE. I assume the $1.9k is the applicable one. Pre-2022 was a better time for buying aftermarket exhaust upgrades. Maybe most upgrades.
My bad. I kept ogling at the pictures but overlooked the fact that OP has an S
Old 01-10-2023, 07:08 PM
UCLA92
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

@gripster - thanks for your reply. Exactly what I was looking for. I need to focus on 991.1 non PSE car that was retrofitted with PSE for my final decision. Do you have any audio or video to share when you have the PSE engaged? Please feel free to message me. Additionally, I'm not to far from San Diego and my son goes to UCSD. Can you share which shop did your install?

Quick Reply: PSE Question