Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Cost - Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 11:57 PM
keebin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 39 Posts

Had this happen a few months ago it really depends on your insurance. Insurance normally doesn’t want to pay for the oem glass and will almost force you to go with a 3rd party brand as they will not pay over 2k for the windshield replacement. Also Porsche quotes an insane amount for the glass and the install. I even thought about buying a glass oem glass off eBay and just having it installed. But ultimately i went with the 3rd party glass because it was free and my car sees the track and back roads with other 911’s that throw rocks.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:33 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Repeating the above. No Porsche dealer is replacing glass. They call the safelite guy who does it in the lot ‘round back. They are just billing you Porsche rates.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:24 AM
Bill Rausch
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some Porsche dealers are authorized to install glass; it’s a very select few. I heard this from the lead service guy at this dealer about 4 years ago,

Yes my insurance will cover the cost but I’ve got to pay the deductible; North Carolina is not one of the states that has zero deductible on that.

It’s not paying the deductible that bothers me. What bothers me is the price gouging; “oh the insurance will cover so we will jack up the price”. Over the long haul this increases everyone insurance cost.

It’s like the $600 oil change. $100 in parts & materials. It doesn’t take more than an hour to change the oil. Run the car for 10 min to heat it up and the rest is easy peasy.

Last edited by Bill Rausch; 01-15-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:41 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,125 Likes on 672 Posts

It is not called price gouging around here.

It is called the Porsche Tax.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:56 AM
Bill Rausch
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was the point of the thread; I’m okay paying the Porsche tax; this particular dealer has taken it up a level.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:42 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Rausch
That was the point of the thread; I’m okay paying the Porsche tax; this particular dealer has taken it up a level.
If it's an individual dealer issue then you need to vote with your wallet. Go somewhere else. I have the luxury of having three dealerships within driving distance of me. Frustrated with one, I took my business to a second dealer, very happy now. When I had a windshield replace, I went to the dealership and asked "who they used"? Went there and had a trouble free replacement. As previously stated, dealers usually farm this work out and just add the Porsche tax to handle it for you.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:00 PM
Unsu01
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the "Porsche Tax" actually work for me.

I purchased a 2019 911 T in March of last year and a non-negotiable line on the invoice was Windshield Protection for $998; I paid and moved on. In August a rock from a truck hit the windshield and left a 1/2" chip; tried to repair, too big. Called the Windshield Protection insurance company and had the windshield replaced with no issue, I still have coverage left with them. Part of the claim process was to get a quote from the dealer, nearly $3000 to replace. Insurance company had me use Safelite instead, $1800 for a Porsche Windshield, would have been cheaper if I went with generic.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:15 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts

Porsche charges what they charge because some will pay. Glass is made from sand. You can get an "aftermarket" windshield installed in the $600 range. Nothing is guaranteed the minute you pull out after a new windshield is installed a rock doesn't bust it again. Out of curiosity I watched some YouTube videos on 911 windshield replacements, less intrusive than removing the rear bumper.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:59 PM
Curious Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have considered replacing my factory windshield on account of the gummy residue releasing from the seal. These prices/quotes help me make an informed decision so I appreciate all of those!
The following users liked this post:
Dgags (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 04:19 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I had insurance cover my windshield through Safelite. My insurer refused to pay for OEM glass and told me I would have to pay out of pocket for the difference. Fair enough, that's stated in the fine print of my policy. But when I inquired with Safelite, they informed me that there was no aftermarket alternative and thus OEM glass would be installed at no extra charge.

By the way, if you are seeking a quote outside of insurance, don't assume that is the same price that your insurance company will pay. They always have a negotiated rate that is much lower. (Just like health insurance and hospitals) There is no sense in going around your insurance company, even with a deductible. Just call your insurer and arrange for a replacement.
The following 3 users liked this post by JW911:
DarienA (01-17-2023), DR911s (03-12-2024), regajohn (01-16-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 12:41 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
I had insurance cover my windshield through Safelite. My insurer refused to pay for OEM glass and told me I would have to pay out of pocket for the difference. Fair enough, that's stated in the fine print of my policy. But when I inquired with Safelite, they informed me that there was no aftermarket alternative and thus OEM glass would be installed at no extra charge.

By the way, if you are seeking a quote outside of insurance, don't assume that is the same price that your insurance company will pay. They always have a negotiated rate that is much lower. (Just like health insurance and hospitals) There is no sense in going around your insurance company, even with a deductible. Just call your insurer and arrange for a replacement.
I've had 3 or 4 windshields replaced by Safelite and exact same scenario. They are all OEM glass at non-OEM prices. @Bill Rausch , I would consider a 3rd party and save yourself $2K.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:20 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 118 Posts

Safelite did my daughters Merceds GLA for $600. Said it would have been $2000 at the dealer. Worth giving them a call and finding out.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:50 AM
HardRider
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts

Three type of windshield replacement. Dealer, Aftermarket name brand. Aftermarket. Only difference is quality of labor. Dealer is dealer. Safelite screws up all the time, replaced windshield in 4 runner it leaked and fried PCM but their bureaucratic process will eventually pay. Bottom of barrel same glass but you might find some glue on your dash from rear view mirror install. 4runner dealer wanted $945, Safelite $460, Bottom of barrel $249. I made bottom of barrel life miserable and I think he finally got the point to throw a towel on the dash when replacing windshields. In the end his windshield is identical to the factory in every way, even had defroster for windshield wipers.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:58 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,125 Likes on 672 Posts

I initially went to Satellite. Saw a bunch of 17- 20 year olds working there. Said no way.

Went to the guys that the dealer uses. Was plenty out of the way, but was plenty happy in the end.
2hot (03-09-2024)
Old 01-18-2023, 02:50 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I initially went to Satellite. Saw a bunch of 17- 20 year olds working there. Said no way.

Went to the guys that the dealer uses. Was plenty out of the way, but was plenty happy in the end.

FWIW you can ask for their 'master installer." I was told that when replacing high-end car windshield, they send their experienced techs. Who know if true or not but I've never had an issue...but maybe I was just lucky.
2hot (03-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Dealer Cost - Windshield Replacement