Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 high beam upgrade to LED, staying on even after car is turned off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 07:08 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

wow they look awesome!
Old 03-27-2023, 11:48 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

also i apologize for whoever botched your front bumper cover. I cant imagine any owner botching a front license plate install like that. Its like someone tried to install it 3 times and kept failing?!?!?! im sure you bought it like that and tried your best to cover it up??

Last edited by mikescayenne; 03-27-2023 at 11:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
911hammer (04-02-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 12:25 AM
sunnyc123abc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Lol, yea it was like that when I removed the dealer front plate. The hole on the left thats out of place is from the k40 radar scanner wire.

Originally Posted by mikescayenne
also i apologize for whoever botched your front bumper cover. I cant imagine any owner botching a front license plate install like that. Its like someone tried to install it 3 times and kept failing?!?!?! im sure you bought it like that and tried your best to cover it up??
mikescayenne (03-29-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 08:01 PM
99-911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Late to the party I know but just wanna answer the OP's original question.
the reason for LED "upgrade" bulbs to stay on or flicker or give error messages is that the electrical system (designed for halogen bulbs) will send low currents / pulses throughout the system to test the bulbs, if there is resistance = bulb is OK, no resistance = bulb is dead. LED bulbs, however, has very low resistance so they will faintly illuminate with these testing pulses /currents.
The following 2 users liked this post by 99-911:
doctj (11-29-2023), mikescayenne (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 08:30 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99-911
Late to the party I know but just wanna answer the OP's original question.
the reason for LED "upgrade" bulbs to stay on or flicker or give error messages is that the electrical system (designed for halogen bulbs) will send low currents / pulses throughout the system to test the bulbs, if there is resistance = bulb is OK, no resistance = bulb is dead. LED bulbs, however, has very low resistance so they will faintly illuminate with these testing pulses /currents.
Good to know... i figured it had to be something like that. What was shocking was the expensive Phillips bulbs were worse, they flickered, and then when i connected their adapter that was supposed to stop the flickering, they didnt work at all. Ofcourse flickering is an absolute no no, but ive already gotten used to the chinese ones being on very faintly (i thought because of my OCD it would drive me crazy, lol). During the day you cant see anything at all, and i noticed even in parking lots that are lit up you cant see it either. The only time you really see it is in the garage with all the lights off, like in the picture i posted in the previous post. But i noticed like what @sunnyc123abc stated that it gets more faint with time. I haven't let the car sit for a week yet, but i notice even the next day its a little more faint. Either way im already used to it, and very happy with them. The only issue currently is I cant shake the feeling when i have them on for a long time, that they may overheat and mess something up. I'm a little skeptical about the fact that they all used to have fans on the back of them, even the chinese ones, and recently all the new designs on amazon dont have a fan. In all the amazon listings they claim there is some new chip that prevents overheating but i dont believe any of that crap, lol. I immediately think its solely to save money not having to manufacture that fan on the back of them. Im just hoping that if it does do harm, its just that the bulb dies after a year or whatever and that it just doesn't burn the harness.

Edit: by the way, the D3S LED replacements for the Xenon bulb works perfectly, no faint light on or anything. So what your saying is definitely correct, i just dont understand why they would be sending that tiny amount of power to the halogens with the car off? Im assuming its probably because it allows you to flash your high beams with the car off, so its probably just coincidently a high beam thing, and it probably wouldnt do that on any of the other halogen bulbs that would never be on when the car is off? Im thinking of changing the H7 cornering lights on my Cayenne to LED, i guess ill find out then.

Last edited by mikescayenne; 04-01-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:49 AM
sunnyc123abc
Rennlist Member

Ive done the H7 led on my Panamera. Works well, but the lights do turn on and off instantly compared to the fading in and out of the halogen.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-01-2023, 05:54 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sunnyc123abc
Ive done the H7 led on my Panamera. Works well, but the lights do turn on and off instantly compared to the fading in and out of the halogen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
haha, you do it on all your Porsches you must be happy with it. It does look good on your carrera, but do people flash you when you only have your low beams on? Im reading that LEDs that are put in a projector lens made for Xenon bulbs have totally incorrect light output. Its just a messy, massive amount of light projected everywhere, that is blinding to oncoming traffic, and actually doesnt improve your vision at night because its usually a higher color temp that looks good but isnt as good at lighting up the road. I think the stock HID's are 4300K light temp which is like the ideal white light with very slight hue of blue. Im seeing all these LEDs on amazon are 6500K. Also some of these operating wattage LEDs on amazon are crazy. Stock HIDs operate on 35w, and im seeing some of these bulbs operating at 120w (yikes!) and its probably way more! I'm feeling less comfortable replcing the low beams after doing some research. Maybe ill try it out for a few days since you actually did it and are happy with it. A lot of this stuff you read are people just talkin out of their a** pretending to be experts.

Last edited by mikescayenne; 04-01-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:32 AM
sunnyc123abc
Rennlist Member

The low beam leds are little more blue then I would like. I tried to look for a warmer color but couldn’t find any yet.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:28 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

I decided to go ahead and install the LED low beam bulbs I had ordered. Either it’s because I can’t leave well enough alone or blame Porsche for making the 991.1 headlight housing so easy to access. Plus I love the way they look on yours @sunnyc123abc . I also love to go against the status quo that thinks this is so sacrilege lol. Anyways here are the results so you can judge for yourself.

Here is the stock HID. OSRAM Xenarc on both sides. I call this shape the double cadillac rectangles lol

This is what both headlights look like head-on with the stock bulbs.

This is with one LED bulb in on the drivers side. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to be sloppy and light everywhere and compare it with the stock HID on the passenger side. The shape is different ofcourse, the LED seems to put a little bump in the bottom of the cadillac rectangle, but the spread seems to be the same, which is good. Looks a little wider, but the height of the light and the cleanliness of the line was the most important to me so that i do not blind traffic.

This is the head-on with the one LED in on the driver side. You can see the more blue hue due to these LED's are 6500K vs the HIDs are 4300K. Unfortunately i couldnt find LEDs in 4300K, i really did want 4300K since that is what produces the most amount of light output.

Now this is with both LEDs in. No more cadillac rectangles...very clean line still just a little brighter than the HIDs this is exactly what I wanted to see.

This is the head on with both LEDs in.

I took this picture to see exactly how the HIDs looked against my cayenne and that garage across the street so that I can compare once the LEDs were in. you can see there isn’t much difference with the picture below

This is the final result with both LEDs in. This was the most important picture to me. I wanted to make sure the light was clean against my cayenne just like the HIDs were so that I’m not blinding people I’m behind or oncoming. The height was very important to me (if it was going to be any higher, i was going to put the HIDs back). This was pretty convincing evidence that it’s almost exactly the same as the HID bulbs, just a little brighter.

Last edited by mikescayenne; 04-05-2023 at 01:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikescayenne:
GoTexas (04-05-2023), Schorsch (07-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 10:04 PM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

One last thing... in case anyone was wondering, the low beam D3s LED replacement bulbs do not have the same issue that the H7 halogen LED replacements do (staying on when the lights should be off). They work 100% properly. I think @sunnyc123abc had mentioned that in one of his replies, and i can confirm this is correct.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:41 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great! Browsing Rennlist is dangerous...

Last edited by THPorsche; 04-05-2023 at 10:44 PM.
mikescayenne (04-05-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:10 AM
Yosmarjair
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 2017 Cayenne was wondering if you have the same set up?

I decided to go ahead and install the LED low beam bulbs I had ordered. Either it’s because I can’t leave well enough alone or blame Porsche for making the 991.1 headlight housing so easy to access. Plus I love the way they look on yours @sunnyc123abc . I also love to go against the status quo that thinks this is so sacrilege lol. Anyways here are the results so you can judge for yourself.

Here is the stock HID. OSRAM Xenarc on both sides. I call this shape the double cadillac rectangles lol

This is what both headlights look like head-on with the stock bulbs.

This is with one LED bulb in on the drivers side. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to be sloppy and light everywhere and compare it with the stock HID on the passenger side. The shape is different ofcourse, the LED seems to put a little bump in the bottom of the cadillac rectangle, but the spread seems to be the same, which is good. Looks a little wider, but the height of the light and the cleanliness of the line was the most important to me so that i do not blind traffic.

This is the head-on with the one LED in on the driver side. You can see the more blue hue due to these LED's are 6500K vs the HIDs are 4300K. Unfortunately i couldnt find LEDs in 4300K, i really did want 4300K since that is what produces the most amount of light output.

Now this is with both LEDs in. No more cadillac rectangles...very clean line still just a little brighter than the HIDs this is exactly what I wanted to see.

This is the head on with both LEDs in.

I took this picture to see exactly how the HIDs looked against my cayenne and that garage across the street so that I can compare once the LEDs were in. you can see there isn’t much difference with the picture below

This is the final result with both LEDs in. This was the most important picture to me. I wanted to make sure the light was clean against my cayenne just like the HIDs were so that I’m not blinding people I’m behind or oncoming. The height was very important to me (if it was going to be any higher, i was going to put the HIDs back). This was pretty convincing evidence that it’s almost exactly the same as the HID bulbs, just a little brighter.

I have an 2017 Cayenne, one of my low beam went bad so I’m trying to decide which bulb to buy. I want to go LED because I want to match the running day lights and I heard some of those give you error messages, did yours gave you any errors messages and did you got to install them in your Cayenne too? And can you send me the link for the low beam you have thanks.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:39 AM
mikescayenne
Rennlist Member

No error messages at all. I replaced all of the lights in my cayenne as well (2014), and they are excellent. Here are the newest versions of the ones I have:

low beam - SUPAREE D1S D1R LED Headlight Bulbs, 30000LM 150W +600% Brightness, Plug and Play, HID Replacement Bulbs, 6500K Cool White, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/5XOESuV

Cornering lights/high beam - Limited-time deal: Krieges Fahren H7 LED Bulbs 6500K White,16PCS Chips 20000LM Super Bright,1:1 Halogen Size, No Adapter Needed, All in One Easy Plug & Play H7 LED Bulb with Cooling Fan, Canbus Ready Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/6JBWWks

Last edited by mikescayenne; 12-04-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:18 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 142 Posts

No error messages at all. I replaced all of the lights in my cayenne as well (2014), and they are excellent. Here are the newest versions of the ones I have:

low beam - SUPAREE D1S D1R LED Headlight Bulbs, 30000LM 150W +600% Brightness, Plug and Play, HID Replacement Bulbs, 6500K Cool White, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/5XOESuV

Cornering lights/high beam - Limited-time deal: Krieges Fahren H7 LED Bulbs 6500K White,16PCS Chips 20000LM Super Bright,1:1 Halogen Size, No Adapter Needed, All in One Easy Plug & Play H7 LED Bulb with Cooling Fan, Canbus Ready Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/6JBWWks
FYI, maybe for the mods, but for me these links are hijacked to a non-Amazon site. Cut & paste works though. Thanks for the product links!
Old 02-16-2024, 08:53 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Would love to see a how to DIY on bulb replacement

If any of you smart guys want to share a video that would be aŵesome !

Quick Reply: 991.1 high beam upgrade to LED, staying on even after car is turned off!