Sponsored by:

2017 Miami Blue C4S Cab almost purchased

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 07:52 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2017 Miami Blue C4S Cab almost purchased

Hello all. Haven't posted much since I purchased my 12' 991 but wanted to share my experience on this car.

https://www.harperporsche.com/certif...4593629519.htm

I have been actively searching for a C4s Cab and came across this one. Made the deal on my trade and purchase price of the car. Was ready to drive down this weekend and pick it up. As I was looking at the pictures for the 10,000th time I noticed an issue with the rear bumper. The emblems were misaligned, and the only way this could happen would be if the bumper was painted and the emblems attached without using the template.

When I inquired about this with the sales associate he immediately apologized and even looked at the car closer. He then revealed that the front and rear bumper showed paintwork. In defense of he sales associate and the dealership they were excellent to work with and I truly believe he did not know or recognize the emblems being off. They just took the car in on trade and it did not show up on their Carfax Report. Heck, it took me a couple days and multiple views of the photos to catch it. The sales associate and dealership fully refunded my deposit and we went our separate ways.

The reason for the post is information based. I would definitely buy a car from them purely based on their response and professionalism. I did not want to spend that kind of money for a car that had paintwork. It may not be a deal killer for others as the car is still a CPO. This cab does check a lot of boxes if anyone is interested.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:29 AM
digs
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

On the upside , that color probably matches nicely with the other panels vs some metallic colors . less chameleon effect . Badges would look better black anyway ? Enjoy the search !
Old 04-28-2023, 06:57 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry to hear and good luck with your search. Keep in mind some people (me) remove the emblems for PPF/detail and reinstall them. I actually did that twice, once when I bought the car to replace the model with just "911" and again when I had PPF put on the rear bumper... The point is it does not mean the car is damaged although in this case the fact that they did a poop job re-installing them tells you something about the rest of the job...
Old 04-28-2023, 08:11 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tpup
Sorry to hear and good luck with your search. Keep in mind some people (me) remove the emblems for PPF/detail and reinstall them. I actually did that twice, once when I bought the car to replace the model with just "911" and again when I had PPF put on the rear bumper... The point is it does not mean the car is damaged although in this case the fact that they did a poop job re-installing them tells you something about the rest of the job...
Thank you for your reply Tpup. If the misalignment was due to PPF I would fully understand both bumpers were repainted as stated by the seller and that's where the rub comes in. I guess I'm being a bit **** here, but what if the PO incurred some damage and traded the car in shortly after then it would not be on a Carfax. No car is forever, eventually it will be sold and paying full retail and trading my car for wholesale for a front/rear bumper repaint may result in resale issues. Agree, this car does hit all the right boxes and I definitely tried to buy it knowing the damage. The seller would not reduce the price, which is his right so I moved on. Definitely a very nice ride that I would love to have in the garage.
The following users liked this post:
Cur (04-28-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 07:31 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 188 Posts

That is a great price for that car (108). It’s nearly a GTS but for the motor / turbos perhaps. Did the dealer lower the price from your deal? If I were in the market, I might have a PPI done pulling off the bumper to make sure there was nothing underneath. Like you said, it is CPO.
Booth9999 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 08:34 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts

On another note...I generally remove the model designations on my cars,,,I like a clean look
Booth9999 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:03 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

my 2017 C2, new to me last year, had a rear bumper replacement, someone rear ended the original owner when the car was less than a year old. noted on the carfax and sales bill (about $4k repair), had no effect on my decision to buy the car or the price paid. chasing the "perfect" car will consume and stress you for nothing, unless you plan on leaving it a garage while you sit on a lawn chair spouting "damn that's a nice car I own".
The following 2 users liked this post by rensoyka:
Booth9999 (04-29-2023), likes2drive911 (04-30-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 02:56 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
That is a great price for that car (108). It’s nearly a GTS but for the motor / turbos perhaps. Did the dealer lower the price from your deal? If I were in the market, I might have a PPI done pulling off the bumper to make sure there was nothing underneath. Like you said, it is CPO.
I asked them if they would reconsider the price due to both bumpers being painted and they decided not to. I get it as they could most likely sell the car for the list price and make more $$, they did just get it in on trade last week. I could buy it and be OK with the paint work just not ready to settle for less at this point in the search. Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:18 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by rensoyka
my 2017 C2, new to me last year, had a rear bumper replacement, someone rear ended the original owner when the car was less than a year old. noted on the carfax and sales bill (about $4k repair), had no effect on my decision to buy the car or the price paid. chasing the "perfect" car will consume and stress you for nothing, unless you plan on leaving it a garage while you sit on a lawn chair spouting "damn that's a nice car I own".
Agree. A car is only new once in it's life and I'm not expecting that by any means. I have a 991 now and believe me it's not sitting in the garage with me in the lawn chair. Ha Ha. However, I'm wiling to wait for a better example. I tried to buy it as I said earlier but the dealership passed. They wouldn't budge on the price. I guess you get to an age or a time in life where you wait for what you want. Believe me, I liked that car and still do.
George from MD (04-30-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 93 Posts

The car has like zero depth in the paint on the website. Not sure if the phots are playing tricks or its beat
Old 04-29-2023, 04:45 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
They wouldn't budge on the price.
I've been aggressively tracking pricing on 991.2 C2S / C4S / coupe and cab since Jan 1.

You're going to find this is how it is right now. These cars sell in days / weeks if priced within reason.

Old 04-29-2023, 05:19 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

when I bought my C2 last year it had been sold back to the dealer as the owner didn't drive it due to covid. they put it for sale as a CPO at an inflated price and it sat for over 2 months at the dealer without even one look at it. they dropped the price to something more realistic to move it and I came along and moved it for them. you will find what you want, hopefully at a price that you can live with.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:39 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 505 Posts

Front and rear repaint? Could have been rear ended and then pushed into car in front. Run, don’t walk.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:42 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jack F
Front and rear repaint? Could have been rear ended and then pushed into car in front. Run, don’t walk.
My point exactly too many unknowns. If the car was higher priced without the repaint I would have made a deal. I'm sure it will make someone a nice car. I have a 2012 991 and purchased it because it was a 1 owner, serviced every year, all records and books stamped, no stories and needed nothing. The comfort level is just a higher priority for me.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:49 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 455 Posts

paint job looks awful, or bad pics..

Quick Reply: 2017 Miami Blue C4S Cab almost purchased