Sponsored by:

CPO ed cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 09:38 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts
Default CPO ed cars

I have been looking at 991's and i'm leaning toward buying a CPO car from a Porsche dealer
The dealer cars seem to be priced not that more than private sellers are asking (what they are actually selling them for is another story)
My question is...How much "faith" can you put into a dealer selling a CPO car...How fussy are they with the cars they CPO?
Old 05-02-2023, 09:47 AM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

I just bought one with 49k miles. The checklist is mostly super basic **** “seatbelts are safe. Headlight light” but they do have minimums for tires and brakes which is nice, and I have 2 years of peace of mind about major problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoTime:
dak911 (05-02-2023), huntflyer (07-07-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 10:51 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

One thing to pay attention to is the end date of the CPO period.

When I bought my '15 991.1 GTS in 2019, the business manager at Hendrick Charlotte that walked me through all the paper work indicated that the CPO period ended a few months shy of two years. I said wait a tick, CPO is two years. Apparently they had CPO'd the car when it was first placed on sale a few months before I decided to purchase, and that starts the clock. My response was, nope, I was buying a CPO car which as far as I am aware has a full two year warranty from the day of purchase.

To their credit and to remedy the situation, they brought the car into the service bay and did another full CPO inspection, oil change, battery change in the remotes...the whole thing. They then re-filed the paperwork with Porsche, which re-started the clock, but it also cost the dealer several grand which is what Porsche charges a dealer for CPO. The business manager commented that this will be a teaching moment for my salesman, who should have made the reduced CPO period clear. I don't know if this is common or not, but pay attention when doing your paperwork. It was only a few months difference, but imagine having a costly issue at the end of the CPO term and only then found out that you were shorted a few months of coverage.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 05-02-2023 at 10:52 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BGLeduc:
dak911 (05-02-2023), DarienA (05-04-2023), john6l6 (06-08-2023), pkalhan (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 11:58 AM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Also keep in mind that CPO does not address cosmetics (including rattles, etc.) and these are not covered by the warranty. The degree of cosmetic reconditioning that a dealer does is seemingly all over the map. Make sure that these sorts of things have been taken care of before you buy the car.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:10 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by BGLeduc

When I bought my '15 991.1 GTS in 2019, the business manager at Hendrick Charlotte that walked me through all the paper work indicated that the CPO period ended a few months shy of two years. I said wait a tick, CPO is two years. Apparently they had CPO'd the car when it was first placed on sale a few months before I decided to purchase, and that starts the clock. My response was, nope, I was buying a CPO car which as far as I am aware has a full two year warranty from the day of purchase.

To their credit and to remedy the situation, they brought the car into the service bay and did another full CPO inspection, oil change, battery change in the remotes...the whole thing. They then re-filed the paperwork with Porsche, which re-started the clock, but it also cost the dealer several grand which is what Porsche charges a dealer for CPO. The business manager commented that this will be a teaching moment for my salesman, who should have made the reduced CPO period clear. I don't know if this is common or not, but pay attention when doing your paperwork. It was only a few months difference, but imagine having a costly issue at the end of the CPO term and only then found out that you were shorted a few months of coverage.
That is very interesting as when I bought my CPO 991.2 a year ago, there was another model that was also labelled as CPO but my salesman said that it only had 18 months of coverage compared to the 24 months on the car I purchased. When I inquired more, he mentioned the alternate vehicle was traded-in which already had the CPO coverage from original buyer who purchased the vehicle 6 months earlier. In your case, Porsche CPO website clearly states the following:
2 Years / Unlimited Miles Warranty after the expiration of the new vehicle limited warranty or from the date of sale if the new vehicle limited warranty has expired.
Sounds like your dealer may have been trying to offload a traded-in vehicle that was purchased as CPO by previous buyer?

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/certified-preowned
The following 2 users liked this post by ash_schwin:
BGLeduc (05-02-2023), bradthe (05-06-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:24 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 105 Posts

I had the same situation. I found the CPO car I liked and basically made the price deal over the phone pending my inspection and pick up. The dealer was 120 miles from my house so I negotiated on the phone somewhat. The dealer wanted me to come see the car and I said I wasn't driving almost 250 miles not to buy a car. So he did a video of the car and we settled on a price I was willing to pay. I went to drive and inspect and everything was good until we sat down to do the paperwork. That is when I saw the CPO warranty only had 13 months left on it. I got up and said that is a deal breaker and reminded the guy we discussed CPO 2 years unlimited mileage. I made it clear I would not have driven all that way without a full two year from date of purchase warranty which is why I only looked at CPO cars. The car only had 18K miles. They did the right thing and revised the warranty to begin on my purchase date so the deal went through. It is imperative to know the dates as they label cars CPO even thought the clock has been ticking on the warranty. I also added a Porsche backed extended warranty for 5 years and 60K miles just because my experience with Porsche is that while the cars are generally solid the repairs are astronomical and if you have a good local dealership relationship you can definitely get you moneys worth. Especially if you a on top of every thing like minor oil leaks as generally they will lead to fixing things you want taken care of. Also I think the reason the reason the CPO sounds good is that it is unlimited mileage, but frankly very few people put a lot of miles on a car like a 911. So two years is how many miles on average for a 911 driver? Even if you do say 12K per year which most would consider high, it's only 24K miles. Not much of a warranty on a 4 or 5 year old car with only 18K miles and not much risk for Porsche. My plan with the extended warranty is to be comfortable enough with the coverage so I can drive it the way I want for 5 years putting 12k annually on the odometer and not worry about repairs while making a car payment. I like to have a relatively predictable cost of driving so the extra $100 bucks a month is really worth the piece of mind IMO. BTW I have never purchased a warranty on any product in my life as I believe in self insuring until I purchase a used 2011 Cayenne S 8 years ago. The $4700 I paid for a 5 year 75K warranty wound up covering some $15K plus in repairs over a 5 year period.
The following 2 users liked this post by Atheist:
BGLeduc (05-02-2023), Cur (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:39 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

The only advantage I see to CPO is all maintenance must be up to date. So if you have a 4 year old 911 with 18K miles the dealer is required to replace plugs, filters as it is older than 4 years even though it doesn't have 40K miles. Two cars priced the same I would go CPO if one was $2.5K or more cheaper go without CPO.
The following users liked this post:
Cur (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 05:03 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 100 Posts

my car is CPO, 2017 C2. the 2 year clock started when I gave them the cheque last July. obviously it doesn't cover everything but it does cover the important parts. only had 15k miles on it but the time schedule for maintenance also had to be honoured. they put on new tires, oil/filter and brake flush. I just replaced the original battery out of caution, 7 years old. next up is oil change in a few months and then the next big service will be in a year or so, likely including air filter and plugs, so far brakes are good. pay to play. laying out this amount of cash was made easier with the peace of mind that if the engine blows or the pdk seizes I'm covered.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:23 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
The only advantage I see to CPO is all maintenance must be up to date. So if you have a 4 year old 911 with 18K miles the dealer is required to replace plugs, filters as it is older than 4 years even though it doesn't have 40K miles. Two cars priced the same I would go CPO if one was $2.5K or more cheaper go without CPO.
You need to be very careful with this. Many dealers don’t do proper inspections or bring the maintenance up to date. I bought a CPO car once and later found it had 5 plugs in one tire. It should not have passed CPO. I also sold a car to a dealer that CPO my car when it should not have been because I had work done at an indy. According to CPO all maintenance is required to have been done by a dealer. I’ve also seen cars being sold as CPO with aftermarket exhaust also not allowed. The moral is the dealers often don’t do a great inspection on these cars so buyers be aware.
The following 2 users liked this post by NHmacan:
bradthe (05-06-2023), regajohn (05-09-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 04:17 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ram_g
Also keep in mind that CPO does not address cosmetics (including rattles, etc.) and these are not covered by the warranty. The degree of cosmetic reconditioning that a dealer does is seemingly all over the map. Make sure that these sorts of things have been taken care of before you buy the car.
True. Just went through trying to purchase a CPO car and the dealer revealed that the front and rear bumper had been repainted. This car is a CPO and still for sale, they emailed me last night about a price drop. As they say practice due diligence.

Here is the thread. I guess paintwork can still qualify for a CPO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1346...purchased.html

Mike

Last edited by Arena993; 05-03-2023 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:19 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Up to 3 panels can be destroyed replaced under cpo

Painting a bumper would not bother me but a wreck is a problem. Independent PPI always.

Originally Posted by Arena993
True. Just went through trying to purchase a CPO car and the dealer revealed that the front and rear bumper had been repainted. This car is a CPO and still for sale, they emailed me last night about a price drop. As they say practice due diligence.

Here is the thread. I guess paintwork can still qualify for a CPO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1346...purchased.html

Mike
Old 05-03-2023, 10:01 AM
360spider
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased 2 CPO Porsches, a Macan S and a 991 S. Received the "gift" kit with CPO cards. No dates are shown.
Does Porsche notify you in advance prior to the CPO expiration date?
Old 05-03-2023, 10:36 AM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

This is common for cars that were CPO’d and then traded in soon after. Haven’t heard on the CPO clock starting from the day they certify it, should be from the sale date. The dealer can transfer the remaining warranty but to get the full two years they have ti pay the CPO cost again. Ferrari does the same thing.

Last edited by dgoldenz; 05-03-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:43 AM
bds
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ram_g
Negotiate these items before you close the purchase. For example, my leather dash was warped from sun damage. Negotiated that dealer would replace it as part of the purchase agreement. That would've been out of CPO. That said, I've also had a good experience with CPO overall - new headlights, key fob issue remedied. If you've got a good dealer nearby, it gives you some peace of mind.

Last edited by bds; 05-04-2023 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (05-11-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 12:02 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

My CPO period started from the date of sale.
I'm certain the sport design front bumper and duck tail were added by the P.O., probably to repair some (reported) damage.
It had been traded in with fresh brakes all around, but not OEM parts. The dealer had to do all new pads and rotors. My extra wheels and winter tires were specifically included "as is". They also had to do the full 40k (60k km up here) service.
It's possible they made a mistake advertising the car as CPO before they looked at it closely enough, because after I made my offer, they changed the ad to just "pre-owned".
When I confirmed I would take it they still honoured everything in the ad and did all the work, but they were less flexible when considering my lower offer. I think they just changed the ad in case I backed out. .

Quick Reply: CPO ed cars