Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennstand or Jackpoint Jack Stands?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 11:54 AM
straka
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Rennstand or Jackpoint Jack Stands?

I want to purchase a pair of jack stands for my 2017 991.2. After searching it appears that the two most popular are the Rennstand and Jackpoint brands. Any feedback on these stands? They are priced nearly the same. I've been placed on a waitlist for the Jackpoint brand and I don't know for how long. The Rennstands appear to be available.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:38 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Jackpoint stands are strong and very sturdy but they aren’t very tall. They are good for brake work and oil changes (for most cars). Rennstands have height adjustment (upto 16.5 inches)
The following users liked this post:
Winnetka (01-28-2024)
Old 05-14-2023, 07:05 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Jack Point Stands

Originally Posted by straka
I want to purchase a pair of jack stands for my 2017 991.2. After searching it appears that the two most popular are the Rennstand and Jackpoint brands. Any feedback on these stands? They are priced nearly the same. I've been placed on a waitlist for the Jackpoint brand and I don't know for how long. The Rennstands appear to be available.
I have a set of jack point stands that I no longer need Let me know if you're interested.

Mark
Old 05-15-2023, 01:05 PM
straka
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkG123
I have a set of jack point stands that I no longer need Let me know if you're interested.

Mark
Just sent you a private message concerning the stands.
Old 05-15-2023, 03:42 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm a huge fan of my Jackpoint stands. They work really well and are simple to use. I have no experience with the others you mention so I can't compare, but just wanted to say you wouldn't go wrong w/ Jackpoint IMO.
Porsche_nuts (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 04:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,121 Likes on 670 Posts

I was ready to get rid of my Jackpoints because I bought Quick Jacks. Recently, was short on time and had to lift car quickly. Taking out the Quick Jacks, connecting, repositioning, etc, just did not have time. Let along breaking everything back down and storing again afterwards. So got out the old jack under the cross member then fitted the Jackpoints underneath. Took about10 minutes.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:22 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 544 Likes on 287 Posts

I use these, they are great and very sturdy.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/TOL104981.htm
Old 05-16-2023, 02:46 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
I use these, they are great and very sturdy.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/TOL104981.htm
Those aren't quite the same as Jackpoint or Rennstand in that those can be slid under (or attached to) the same jack point as the jack is on - no need for lifting elsewhere. Somewhat convenient.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:44 PM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 158 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I was ready to get rid of my Jackpoints because I bought Quick Jacks. Recently, was short on time and had to lift car quickly. Taking out the Quick Jacks, connecting, repositioning, etc, just did not have time. Let along breaking everything back down and storing again afterwards. So got out the old jack under the cross member then fitted the Jackpoints underneath. Took about10 minutes.
This. Jackpoints are great for quick jobs. Quick Jacks are great for everything else.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:55 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

I've had a set of RennStands briefly, and I found them not to be as stable as Jackpoint stands especially during raising and lowering the car.
When you raise a single corner, the car goes into a significant tilt (both side-to-side and front-to-back) and I wasn't comfortable with a tilted car landing on the RennStands.
This tilt is more significant when you set a taller height on the RennStand. I saw the stand slip a couple of times and was very scared.
The safer approach is to use 2 floor jacks and raise both sides of the car and reduce the side-to-side tilt of the car.

Very quickly I moved to using Jackpoint stands and while you still require some minor adjustments as you raise/lower the car onto them - it's nowhere as nerve-racking as RennStands.
Since then I've also gotten a QuickJack and I pick QJ vs Jackpoint depending on the job.
I "store" my QJ on the floor under the car, so positioning it and connecting the hoses is not very significant work - but still for smaller jobs I prefer the Jackpoint stands.
Winnetka (01-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Rennstand or Jackpoint Jack Stands?