Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a used Porsche emblem template they want to rent/sell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 10:49 AM
madsedan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

So if I was to just buy all this and be the keeper/renter/shipper for it what would be a fair rental rate for a week or so to fellow rennlisters?
Old 05-18-2023, 02:02 PM
Heartwork
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by madsedan
So if I was to just buy all this and be the keeper/renter/shipper for it what would be a fair rental rate for a week or so to fellow rennlisters?
How about free and the renter pays a deposit (refundable) + shipping fees

I'd say $50 - $100 rental fee? Would take 15-30 rentals to break even.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Heartwork
How about free and the renter pays a deposit (refundable) + shipping fees

I'd say $50 - $100 rental fee? Would take 15-30 rentals to break even.
I think 75-100 shipped would be a fair rental rate, I believe that's what porsche charges to their dealership to rent this template.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:46 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Here's the PDF that dealers use to rent these.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...86390-0001.pdf
Old 05-18-2023, 08:04 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by madsedan
I’d suggest just renting out the holder, as well as the template you needed for your car. If someone needs a different template, they could source that themselves (and then maybe they would be nice enough to rent that out when finished). That way you only need 5 or 6 renters to break-even. Consider a week for shipping time each way, then if the renter needs it for a week, that’s 3 weeks before then next rental would start. Usually it would be less than that, but “I didn’t have time to get to it for a few days,” or “I underestimated the prep time needed,” shipping delays, or delays in getting the emblems, etc.

I thought for a while about buying and sharing too. I think I would sell it for the price I paid, with an agreement to buy it back, less rental-fee and shipping fees. That way, I wouldn’t be out ~$800 because somebody kept it too long, if it was damaged at any point in the process, if they decided they wanted to be the keeper of the jig. Figuring out PayPal fees/witholdings and what to do once it paid for itself, and dealing with impatient or unreasonable people scared me off of wanting to be “the guy” who fronted the cash and rents it out.

There are other ways, of course…. Getting a group of committed/trusted people together, splitting the total cost evenly, then each person gets it for a month and agrees who gets to keep it when all done. Direct shipping from one renter to the next, revenue sharing if there are enough 991.1 people with who don’t trust painters tape and duct tape and internet pictures and measurements and does-it-look-right posts

People need to realize that even with renting the template, total cost is still steep: $100+shipping for renting the holder, $250+tax+shipping for a template (if necessary), ~$160+tax+shipping for emblems….Up to ~$500! Cheaper if reusing emblems or if a template is available to rent.

If you or someone else decides to do this, I’m definitely interested in signing up for a rental, I’d want the narrow-body template for PORSCHE with just 911 underneath, and I promise that I wouldn’t ask you to ship it to me without having emblems (and template if necessary) in-hand, with car prepped and ready for the new emblems. I’d also promise I wouldn’t be impatient or unreasonable, for whatever that’s worth
The following users liked this post:
Cur (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 09:59 PM
Cur
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jberb55
If you or someone else decides to do this, I’m definitely interested in signing up for a rental, I’d want the narrow-body template for PORSCHE with just 911 underneath, and I promise that I wouldn’t ask you to ship it to me without having emblems (and template if necessary) in-hand, with car prepped and ready for the new emblems. I’d also promise I wouldn’t be impatient or unreasonable, for whatever that’s worth
Add me to this, too. 100%
Old 05-18-2023, 10:53 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 288 Posts

Is there a difference between widebody and narrowbody for the holder? It would make sense that they are the same in the middle, but don't know for sure.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:59 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For the holder, there isn’t anything in Suncoast’s description that implies there are different holders for wide or narrow body. But for the template part number (as you pointed out in an earlier post), there are three different parts included for “PORSCHE,” with or without the “911” underneath. The description says for “Carrera, Carrera 4, and Turbo” … I assume the holder is agnostic and can be used for NB or WB. Pictures of the three templates have the “PORSCHE” part at different distances from top, depending on if it is a C2/2S, C4/4S, or Turbo. Call it high, medium, and low. Not sure which goes with which. Maybe it is dependent on the center light-bar, and cars without the light-bar use the highest position? Hopefully that can be determined/confirmed with something stamped on the templates themselves.

What I can’t figure out from the pics or descriptions, is which size “911” emblem should be ordered to fit the template(s): the “standard” or “optional small”

Last edited by jberb55; 05-19-2023 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:45 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I am tempted to just buy the templates without the holder. I think the hardest part is getting the spacing between letters correct. Could use painters tape and maybe a level or bodylines to temporaritly mount the template. You could even use dry erase markers to test before placement.

Obviously at the factory having the holder is a must, but on a one off situation, measuring and taping is probably pretty doable with factory level results. It would just take a bit longer.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:23 AM
997.2cs
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any 3d printed options out there?
Old 05-10-2024, 09:45 AM
jimmiejam
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
I am wondering with some painters tape and tape measure could you just make the templates work without the holder?
It's done all the time by detail shops. Very easy to do and very accurate.....
Old 05-10-2024, 09:53 AM
997.2cs
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiejam
It's done all the time by detail shops. Very easy to do and very accurate.....
yeah I will most likely go this route. I just don’t trust myself with getting it straight.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:13 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

For my 991.1, I bought the set of 3 templates for PORSCHE only (no 911 Carrera etc). This was $300 or so from Suncoast.

I did not buy the holder as it seemed ridiculous.

I simply figured out the measurement (ie how far "down" the letters go from the top body line where bumper and spoiler meet) and then used tape to secure the template to the car at that exact spot. Plopped the letters in and it's perfect.

In other words, if you have the actual templates, the template holder isn't needed if you can measure the top distance and use the right template.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a used Porsche emblem template they want to rent/sell?