Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which ceramic coating to use on Satin Black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 05:59 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Many iron removers are pH neutral.

I think I see what the issue is for some people. They think applying a ceramic coating will eliminate break dust build up. It doesn’t. It just make cleaning very easy when they are dirty.
I'll go along with this... I use Sonax "The Beast" wheel cleaner and it sure smells like there is some iron remover in the mix (it stinks!) and it's PH neutral. It works extremely well, but the biggest factor for me is cleaning often and moving to a ceramic pad for street driving. Made a HUMONGOUS difference in the quality of my life. I would venture to say they make 20% of the dust OEM pads make -- maybe less.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:27 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 455 Posts

what ceramic pads Im interested,,needing brakes soon.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:31 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
what ceramic pads Im interested,,needing brakes soon.
Below are the pads I ordered. I swap with Pagid RS29s when I go to the track. The EBCs have been great.

https://shop.redline360.com/products...-front-or-rear

Old 02-05-2024, 01:31 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Well it's dumping rain for a while, and I'm going to work on my cars. Time to ceramic coat the wheels.

I wonder if there are any new comments/experiences or products to consider?
Old 02-05-2024, 02:35 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Now that I'm on my 2nd 911 with Satin Black finish I realize they can go to crap permanently if you do the wrong things and I want to ceramic coat them. If you did so, please let me know what you used.
Shine Supply Clutch does a great job of restoring the blackness of satin finish wheels but doesn't last as long as we might expect a good ceramic coat to last. Visually it works great. Got the tip on reddit and posted a follow up here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoDetaili...eels_restored/
The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (02-05-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 01:22 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 502 Posts

My recommendation is to use a gentler iron remover first. I use Gyeon Iron that is ph neutral. That works great but my whole car is coated and this makes clean up super easy. On the other hand P&S Brake Buster is very acidic. I believe that it is over pH 12. Since the ph scalemis logarithmic, ph 12 is 10 stronger than 11, ph 11 is 10 x stronger than 10. You can do the math for your self and see just how aggressive some of these acidic shell cleaners are relative to ph neutral. I believe that Gyeon coating resist chemical to about a ph of 13. So in my opinion if you are using harsh aggressive chemicals you are negatively effecting the coating that was applied.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:39 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
My recommendation is to use a gentler iron remover first. I use Gyeon Iron that is ph neutral. That works great but my whole car is coated and this makes clean up super easy. On the other hand P&S Brake Buster is very acidic. I believe that it is over pH 12. Since the ph scalemis logarithmic, ph 12 is 10 stronger than 11, ph 11 is 10 x stronger than 10. You can do the math for your self and see just how aggressive some of these acidic shell cleaners are relative to ph neutral. I believe that Gyeon coating resist chemical to about a ph of 13. So in my opinion if you are using harsh aggressive chemicals you are negatively effecting the coating that was applied.
P&S is listed as "acid free" but it would be interesting to know if it were actually not neutral. Also, the pH scale goes the other way -- high numbers are alkaline. Maybe someone has tested it?
Old 04-17-2024, 08:29 AM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 94 Posts

I used high heat gyeon formulated for wheels.

It did add a little more shine to satin black, but its doing its job. dust just washes off
Old 04-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

everytime I freshen up my Mequirs hybvrid Cermamic wax spray .. i do the same to the rims. I doubt it does much since the rims get dirty almost everytime i drive it maybe a little easier to clean.

Quick Reply: Which ceramic coating to use on Satin Black wheels?