Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which ceramic coating to use on Satin Black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 05:51 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts
Default Which ceramic coating to use on Satin Black wheels?

Now that I'm on my 2nd 911 with Satin Black finish I realize they can go to crap permanently if you do the wrong things and I want to ceramic coat them. If you did so, please let me know what you used.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:11 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 141 Posts

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
P991GTS (10-22-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 08:47 PM
LesPaul
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep that's what I used. Easy application and now most dirt hoses right off.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:59 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 502 Posts

I had Gyeon Rim installed when the car had PPF installed and was coated. I top the wheels off yearly with CanCoat. No issues. Very easy to clean. Can apply Cure on top for super slick feel and increased hydrophobicity.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:09 AM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 134 Posts

To be honest I dont know of any ceramic coating that holds up on wheels. First it is an area with a ton of contamination form the road and brake dust. Also the wheels get hot and that also is not great for the coating.
The following 3 users liked this post by NHmacan:
911boy (04-15-2024), Cityfisher (04-17-2024), SilverSFR (04-14-2024)
Old 06-16-2023, 11:08 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NHmacan
To be honest I dont know of any ceramic coating that holds up on wheels. First it is an area with a ton of contamination form the road and brake dust. Also the wheels get hot and that also is not great for the coating.
What products have you tried and how do you maintain them? I can get my wheels 90% with just foam and rinse. To rejuvenate a clogged coating, iron remover will get things even better.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:48 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
Agree, tried once, made zero difference. Haven’t done since. Just clean them often.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:36 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
Agree, tried once, made zero difference. Haven’t done since. Just clean them often.
Interesting…what coating have your applied and did you do anything afterwards to maintain or just applied and nothing? How long after application did you notice that it did nothing?
Old 06-19-2023, 09:47 AM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
What products have you tried and how do you maintain them? I can get my wheels 90% with just foam and rinse. To rejuvenate a clogged coating, iron remover will get things even better.
My wheel routine wash with pressure washer first no soap. Then I spray Irion remover and let sit for a few minutes. Rinse with water, then wash with a soft brush and wheel ***** to get the barrels. Then I dry and occasionally I will use Adams Graphine spray but like I said it really doesn't seem to do much.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:23 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Curious what is in iron remover?

I'm still going to try a ceramic coat. As long as there is no downside.

Any other experiences are welcome.
Old 10-21-2023, 05:57 PM
LawrieK
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio

Iron remover like this:
Amazon Amazon

Removed iron particles which have come off the (non ceramic) brake disk pads. Coming off hot, the particles tend to stick to the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
P991GTS (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 03:24 PM
GoaterAz
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 9 Posts

Having recently ceramic coated my first set of wheels, I thought I share my personal experience.

My goal was the reduce the amount of brake dust that accumulated on the wheel between washes (2019 T with stock steel brakes).

Process: Removed wheels from car, cleaned with Adams Wheel Cleaner, cleaned with Dawn dish soap, wiped with Isopropyl Alcohol, applied CARPRO CQuartz DLUX

Before (this is what I was trying to mitigate):

Post ceramic coat beauty shots:

After driving pictures (2 weeks later, 150mi, normal driving):

As you can see from the before vs. after driving picture, there was a slight improvement but not earth shattering. I will say that the wheels are much easier and more enjoyable to clean. They certainly have a depth to them when clean (until you leave the driveway and hit the brakes for the first time lol).

Is it worth it? I'd never argue with someone that it is, but now knowing what I know and the fact that I really enjoy detailing the car, trying new products etc I think I will continue to ceramic coat them. I don't think I would ever pay someone to do this, but that's just me.

The 30ml bottle of ceramic coat will complete 2 sets of wheels. I hope this helps!

Old 10-23-2023, 09:37 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoaterAz
Having recently ceramic coated my first set of wheels, I thought I share my personal experience.

As you can see from the before vs. after driving picture, there was a slight improvement but not earth shattering. I will say that the wheels are much easier and more enjoyable to clean. They certainly have a depth to them when clean (until you leave the driveway and hit the brakes for the first time lol).

Is it worth it? I'd never argue with someone that it is, but now knowing what I know and the fact that I really enjoy detailing the car, trying new products etc I think I will continue to ceramic coat them. I don't think I would ever pay someone to do this, but that's just me.

The 30ml bottle of ceramic coat will complete 2 sets of wheels. I hope this helps!
Super helpful. Thanks. I did it on my last 911 because I had the wheel color changed and did so before mounting new tires.

Would I remove them to do it right? Don't think so. Isn't the iron remover acidic?
Old 10-23-2023, 10:55 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Super helpful. Thanks. I did it on my last 911 because I had the wheel color changed and did so before mounting new tires.

Would I remove them to do it right? Don't think so. Isn't the iron remover acidic?
Many iron removers are pH neutral.

I think I see what the issue is for some people. They think applying a ceramic coating will eliminate break dust build up. It doesn’t. It just make cleaning very easy when they are dirty.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack F:
cbredesen (10-24-2023), wkearney99 (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:19 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
Agreed 100%. I clean them once/week. Ceramic made zero difference.

Last edited by 911boy; 10-24-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Which ceramic coating to use on Satin Black wheels?