Sponsored by:

Best Way to Sell My 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 04:03 PM
Elmiko
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Best Way to Sell My 991

I’m thinking about selling my 2015 C2S here in New Jersey. While I love the car, I just don’t drive it enough these days to justify the cost of keeping it in the garage 95% of the time. It’s a beautiful build-rhodium silver with 2-tone black/garnet red leather interior, MT, sport chrono, Aerokit cup. It’s been years since I sold a vehicle outright. Any thoughts on most effective ways to get the word out if and when I make the decision? I’d want to do it in a safe (minimum scam possibility) way and directed to buyers who really know and appreciate these cars. Any and all advice will be appreciated!
Old 08-30-2023, 04:12 PM
Jpbarnlight
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

I don’t have enough posts to send you a DM.
I sent you a friend request

I’m in NJ, send me details.

Thx!
Old 08-30-2023, 04:13 PM
itogliano
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rennlist classifieds. If not getting the interest you expect/want, BaT
The following users liked this post:
huntflyer (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:35 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by itogliano
Rennlist classifieds. If not getting the interest you expect/want, BaT
If you go with BAT, and I think that's a smart move given you have a fairly rare spec that's well kept, here's some things I think are worth keeping in mind:

1. Do professional photos
2. Have all service records - OVERSHARE
3. Interact on the comments during the lifecycle of the listing. BAT regulars have zero tolerance for absentee sellers.
4. Go No Reserve if your nerves can handle it

Mind you, I have no direct experience but I've watched a ton of auctions and these tips kinda seem to generalize. GLWTS!!
Old 08-30-2023, 04:39 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

while you're mulling it over, do the KBB instant offer. when I sold my 2017 that was something like 8k below what I could have gotten for it private party, except with zero hassle whatsoever.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:08 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

carmax, carvana, and the like....... I bet your local dealer will even sell it for you.

This won't cost you anything except some time but it will give you a ball park.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:13 PM
itogliano
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just going to draw attention to OPs penultimate sentence before anyone else suggest KBB ICO, Carmax, Carvana, et. al.

"...directed to buyers who really know and appreciate these cars."
cbredesen (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 07:07 PM
Elmiko
Racer

I did request the KBB offer and actually got a call back within a minute, asking me to go to their local office so they could look at the car first hand. I didn’t provide any details or pictures, and their figure was low, but not crazy low. I also got a call from a local Acura dealer where I always see a few nice Porsches on their lot, and they emphasized that they might offer more than the KBB figure after seeing the car. If I move ahead, I think I’ll do a listing in the Rennlist marketplace first. As I said in my original post, I think my car has some unique features (including the MT) that would be valued more by a knowledgeable buyer.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:33 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

BAT is the way to go. You will get a bidder frenzy for a well kept, nice spec car. I agree with the previous poster except on the no reserve recommendation. Too much risk. Set the reserve as low as you can expect from another source, and watch the auction. If it is as nice as you say, you will get a bidding war for top dollar.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:45 PM
Elmiko
Racer

BAT is always fun to browse, but is it reliable? Can you rely on buyers to complete their purchases?
911T4ME (08-31-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 11:19 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmiko
I’m thinking about selling my 2015 C2S here in New Jersey. While I love the car, I just don’t drive it enough these days to justify the cost of keeping it in the garage 95% of the time. It’s a beautiful build-rhodium silver with 2-tone black/garnet red leather interior, MT, sport chrono, Aerokit cup. It’s been years since I sold a vehicle outright. Any thoughts on most effective ways to get the word out if and when I make the decision? I’d want to do it in a safe (minimum scam possibility) way and directed to buyers who really know and appreciate these cars. Any and all advice will be appreciated!
Rennlist Classified would be my go to. Did not put anything anywhere else when I sold my old Porsche.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:03 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Both Rennlist (preferred) and PCA Classifieds usually put you in direct contact with previous Porsche Owners who have some knowledge on these kind of cars. First time buyers also have been on the site and have some background. GLWS.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:59 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 387 Posts

You may have already done some research, nevertheless I would scan the market and compare that with what you want to get from your sale.

I’m also an advocate for listing on RL. I can share two recent examples. Last year (early 2022) I sold my 991.1RS to a fellow member. Never even got to the point of listing the car. I started somewhat similar to your post and mentioned I would be putting my car up for sale soon. Provided a couple pictures and pertinent details. Had several people PM me and sold it to the first in line. First PM, then texts, then a couple phone calls, PPI and wire. This on a +200k transaction. Had title in hand and records on PDF. Was easy. And my car went from WA to FL. Second example, I just helped a friend sell his 991.2RS. I had a couple inquiries from a starter thread but price was well above current market. A couple weeks later my friend got serious and this week I put an ad up on RL. It sold in two days. No fire sale. Yes I did receive those types of offers, but the market is straightforward. It was priced right for what it is. Again couldn’t have been easier. PM, texts, call, connected the buyer with the seller and done. Car passed the PPI today.

Yes there are plenty of people who hate to do the work. Who don’t like dealing with PMs and such. In both instances it was painless. Even the lower offers were still polite, courteous, etc. I don’t blame anyone for wanting a great deal. I don’t find it difficult to discern between a serious buyer and some type of scam, etc. When you take the car to the dealer for the PPI and the buyer pays direct it rarely falls apart from there, as long as the car is as advertised. In both instances these were mature RL members ready to purchase.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:38 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,740 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Success on BaT requires the equivalent of a real estate listing agent. I know a guy who has been doing it as his full time job — and hugely successful at it. The work is beyond just doing the professional photography. If you find yourself going down that route, DM me and I will get you his contact info.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:56 AM
neptune36
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

For same reasons, I've had my 2019 4S still under warranty on Rennlist classified for a month. 3500 views one dealer contact and couple casual replies, so be patient on Rennlist. Other option is to take a big hit and go to a dealer but sounds like you are not that anxious to sell. BaT seems to get prices between full retail and trade in values. I suggest rennlist to start and enjoy the rides in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Sell My 991