Sponsored by:

How long did your battery last

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 11:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
What is the most commonly purchased aftermarket battery since were going down that hole
The same type that came with my car from the factory because it works and lasts. AGM, 12V and 80 Ah. I do not know why people over-think this.

I might go with companies that are battery manufacturers like East Penn instead or auto-parts store batteries. I have one in my other P car.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:48 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

Only asking because I have seen many threads about other battery options, never actually red them
Old 09-05-2023, 11:55 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,125 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The same type that came with my car from the factory because it works and lasts. AGM, 12V and 80 Ah. I do not know why people over-think this.

I might go with companies that are battery manufacturers like East Penn instead or auto-parts store batteries. I have one in my other P car.
Aren't the auto parts store batteries just rebranded batteries from East Penn, etc?
Old 09-05-2023, 12:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Aren't the auto parts store batteries just rebranded batteries from East Penn, etc?
But is the quality the same? I am not saying it is or isn't.

They can be or Johnson Controls and a very few others that all fall under JC ownership.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Only asking because I have seen many threads about other battery options
What options?

For 99% of us, if most of us can get 7 to 10 years out of a battery as shown in this thread, why would I pay 5 times as much for another option. Will I get 35 to 50 years out of that battery? Simple answer is NO. Like battery chargers, these high-tech battery manufacturers make quite a few BS claims that are meaningless.
Old 09-06-2023, 03:45 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yes you are correct, there are only a few perhaps more than a few about 6-10 including some of the larger Korean and Chinese suppliers.

Also if they are the exact same battery case exterior they are the same battery and can have a large price variation based on brand, but are the same battery. Deka and the Braille in the 30 size are the exact same Battery and the braille is much more expensive, but exact same battery exact same case, exact same interior and East Penn the manufacturer, they just have different brand names.

Manufacturers do not focus on changing the whole assembly line to make a lower quality in the same case format, so if it is a different quality it will have a different exterior case, even if its the same H6 size for example, but then again if it is a similar exterior case those two lower quality ones will be the same manufacturing line... so a good way to tell is if it is the exact same exterior case.
Old 09-06-2023, 03:58 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What is the most commonly purchased aftermarket battery since were going down that hole
No way to really say, because they can report sales differently, but definately in terms of known brands.... Optima, Die Hard, Interstate as all some of the most popular.... but Walmart sells a tons of their models and their Platinum Series are top of the line are Clarios which was Johnson Controls Start Battery Arm ... but it changes a bit and East Penn will also make models for Walmart.

Antigravity is biggest seller in Aftermarket Automotive Lithium Starter Batteries in the Auto Market.... But that is a very tiny portion compared to Lead/Acid Starter Batteries.

Last edited by Antigravity; 09-07-2023 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:17 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Antigravity is biggest seller in Aftermarket Automotive Starter Batteries in the Auto Market....
Somehow I highly doubt that. You are talking about the "Aftermarket", well that would include all auto shops, Costco, Sams, etc. because the vast majority of car owners do not get a battery at the dealer. They go to Walmart, PEP Boys, Advance Auto Parts. Somehow I doubt the aftermarket all have the money to buy a $$$Lithium$$$ battery.

But you know what they say, bigger is not always better. They just have a slick marketing scheme and me being an advertizing execs worst nightmare, well you know the rest...

The factory starter battery in my car is from Banner; I just do not use that function and switched it off the day I took delivery of my car.
The following users liked this post:
asellus (09-06-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 12:54 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Somehow I highly doubt that. You are talking about the "Aftermarket", well that would include all auto shops, Costco, Sams, etc. because the vast majority of car owners do not get a battery at the dealer. They go to Walmart, PEP Boys, Advance Auto Parts. Somehow I doubt the aftermarket all have the money to buy a $$$Lithium$$$ battery.
I meant "Lithium" Starter Batteries aftermarket. We don't even scratch the surface compared to the Lead/Acid Battery aftermarket... that is like a 3 billion dollar a year industry.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:36 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
... that is like a 3 billion dollar a year industry.
I can understand that considering the grossly overpriced batteries that they are, that nobody really needs, other than for bragging rights. If I can't get 5 times the life out of one, why would I buy one?
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 10:48 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

I can understand that considering the grossly overpriced batteries that they are, that nobody really needs, other than for bragging rights. If I can't get 5 times the life out of one, why would I buy one?
So yer replacing your battery tomorrow, what are you getting?
Old 09-07-2023, 11:16 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

So yer replacing your battery tomorrow, what are you getting?
No need to, hell my last two batteries lasted 14 and 16 years but then they were a conventional lead-acid battery not even an AGM, so I hope to get to at least 10 years with this Banner AGM which at the moment is 8Y and 4M old. It isn't aways on a maintainer for weeks at a time.

I'd like to go with another East Penn that I have in my 993. I worked in a defense battery lab for many years so I don't buy into so much of the advertizing BS.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:20 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Warning you in advance, I'll be PMing you when the day comes for me to do a swap out.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:32 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

8 years on my 2015 GTS. I just replaced it out of caution, but no signs of any problems with it.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:37 AM
First991C2
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rensoyka;[url=tel:18997383
18997383[/url]]battery number should be stamped on the top of one of the posts. top 2 numbers are the week made, bottom 2 numbers are the year. if this is the original battery then you are getting close to being stranded some day soon.
Thank you for your response. I finally got out there to check it out. I have a Banner with 06/20 date stamp. So it should be ok, right? I just don’t understand why it’s so low after only a couple of days.

Quick Reply: How long did your battery last