Sponsored by:

Touch-up paint for Carrera Classic wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 01:33 PM
trekr
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Touch-up paint for Carrera Classic wheels

Hi everyone. I'm looking for touch-up paint to fill some small chips in my wheels. They are 20" Carrera Classic wheels, which came on my 2014 911 Carrera S, and I'm attaching a photo for clarity.

The color I'm looking for is the inside dark gray portion. (not the bright silver color on the face)

Does anyone have any leads on this? Thank you.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:35 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

I can’t help you with the paint color, but you could try calling Suncoast and ask them. If you have only pinpoint peeling, it will probably turn out decent. Otherwise, the touch up paint is really obvious…though you could try applying it with a toothpick instead of the brush for better results.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:41 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trekr
Hi everyone. I'm looking for touch-up paint to fill some small chips in my wheels. They are 20" Carrera Classic wheels, which came on my 2014 911 Carrera S, and I'm attaching a photo for clarity.

The color I'm looking for is the inside dark gray portion. (not the bright silver color on the face)

Does anyone have any leads on this? Thank you.

go to a local dealership and ask who they use for rim repair. That person should be able to hook you up cheap
Old 10-22-2023, 08:52 PM
trekr
Track Day

Thank you for the advice. I'll give Suncoast a call. Yeah I know it won't look "great" filled, but right now the white shows up from underneath, which is a stark contrast to the dark gray, so I think as long as I'm careful and don't over-do it, it should look better filled than it does now. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:54 PM
trekr
Track Day

Ahh yes, calling a dealer about rim repair makes sense. Thanks for that idea.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:20 PM
trekr
Track Day

Originally Posted by trekr
Thank you for the advice. I'll give Suncoast a call. Yeah I know it won't look "great" filled, but right now the white shows up from underneath, which is a stark contrast to the dark gray, so I think as long as I'm careful and don't over-do it, it should look better filled than it does now. Fingers crossed.
FYI -- I inquired with Suncoast and they said they do not sell specific paint for Porsche wheels, though they do sell new wheels of course. They recommended looking at local part stores for something that is close.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:48 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts
Angry

TRY to find out who the dealers used car department uses for wheel touch ups, I have seen these "guys absolutely match the colors on a repair
Trying to match it from touch up paint is a waste of time...you "may" thin it will match...then it dries

Last edited by dak911; 10-28-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:49 PM
trekr
Track Day

Originally Posted by dak911
TRY to find out who the dealers used car department uses for wheel touch ups, I have seen these "guys absolutely match the colors on a repair
That seems like the best approach with highest probability of success - thank you.
Old 10-28-2023, 01:13 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,185 Posts

those appear to be the "titanium" coloured two-tone wheels.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU71820CCW.html

I do not see any Porsche-specific touch-up paints offered in the wheel colours, only the body colours.

As far as body colours, the D7Z paint code for the early Cayenne is "titanium" and looks similar. Might be worth trying to find that, but that'll be a $10-20 gamble.

Otherwise, I'd just call a mobile wheel repair shop and see what they have to say. They might be able to just do it for you for like $50-80 if it's just a little touchup paint.
The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (11-08-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 01:40 PM
trekr
Track Day

Originally Posted by asellus

I do not see any Porsche-specific touch-up paints offered in the wheel colours, only the body colours.

As far as body colours, the D7Z paint code for the early Cayenne is "titanium" and looks similar. Might be worth trying to find that, but that'll be a $10-20 gamble.

Otherwise, I'd just call a mobile wheel repair shop and see what they have to say. They might be able to just do it for you for like $50-80 if it's just a little touchup paint.
That is some great sleuthing, Asellus. Thank you for that. I may take that gamble...sounds reasonable.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:34 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

For silver wheel paint, Wurth makes a good quality aerosol can. I just checked their website - while they don’t have a wheel paint for dark gray, they do have a “dark gray” which seems close to the Titanium that Asellus mentioned. Just another small gamble - https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Pr...z/p/3966150010
Old 10-28-2023, 04:00 PM
trekr
Track Day

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
For silver wheel paint, Wurth makes a good quality aerosol can. I just checked their website - while they don’t have a wheel paint for dark gray, they do have a “dark gray” which seems close to the Titanium that Asellus mentioned. Just another small gamble - https://www.wurthusa.com/Chemical-Pr...z/p/3966150010
Thank you for that -- it sounds like another great option to try.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:58 AM
trekr
Track Day

Originally Posted by asellus

Thank you for this advice, Asellus. I ordered some D7Z paint from ScratchesHappen.com and it worked out well. The color was a match, at least to my eye, and the kit that I purchased came with some tiny brushes, a bottle of colored paint, and a bottle of clear coat. If I had to do it over again I'd buy the same thing.
The following 3 users liked this post by trekr:
MingusDew (11-08-2023), regajohn (11-08-2023), shyamvenky (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 11:12 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Awesome to hear, thank you for the followup!

Quick Reply: Touch-up paint for Carrera Classic wheels