Sponsored by:

Sanity check on dealer service quotes for a few issues on my 2016 C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 01:54 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluey
Exactly! He told me these were round numbers until he got the final labor and parts estimates, but wtf how long does it take to flush the pdk and recalibrate it??

I will be sitting down with them and going over everything with a fine toothed comb…ugh what a PITA.
they literally click the mouse a few times in piwis for the recalibration
Old 11-23-2023, 02:09 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

My father-in-law lived in Seattle, owned many Porsches, got tired of being ripped off by the local dealers and eventually took all his business (sales & service) to the dealer in Bellingham, where he was very happy. If the distance isn't too much of a hassle for you, give them a call and get a quote.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:13 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
My father-in-law lived in Seattle, owned many Porsches, got tired of being ripped off by the local dealers and eventually took all his business (sales & service) to the dealer in Bellingham, where he was very happy. If the distance isn't too much of a hassle for you, give them a call and get a quote.
Great suggestion. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2023, 02:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluey
This is Porsche Bellevue (AutoNation) in Bellevue WA.
Ahhh, all those Microsoft employees are rich. No wonder you are seeing those prices.

Look at the bright side. Its a good thing the shop isn't anywhere around Apple headquarters or it would cost 5 times as much, just like their products.

Last edited by IXLR8; 11-24-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2023, 02:24 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Ahhh, all those Microsoft employees are rich. No wonder you are seeing those prices.
I mean we all make some money if we’re driving and maintaining these beauties, but just because I’ve got money doesn’t mean I want to spend it on over-inflated service. 🙂 I would hope the MS guys feel similar, but maybe not lol.
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 04:19 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

Funny enough I just made a video about this very topic…. If you look at the license plate you might “guess” my location and dealer….

The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 04:41 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nathan1
Funny enough I just made a video about this very topic…. If you look at the license plate you might “guess” my location and dealer….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBdz...XdKyG&index=24
Great video, thanks for sharing. Yeah I’m going to make sure to understand every little bit of what they’re recommending and why they’re asking so much. I am still likely to go elsewhere for the service, but it’ll be a good learning experience.
Old 11-23-2023, 05:00 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

The dealers just don't care. They see every customer as a sucker. They also cross shop each other - assuredly an element of price fixing. Our local dealer told me their prices were in line with the LA dealers. Of course labor, retail space, and taxes are far less in NV but none of that matters to them. They actually sell parts on their website at a discount but charge full price for the same parts at service!

My hope would be that a tech savvy Porsche enthusiast creates a website/database of repair costs and dealers...would love to hold the shady ones accountable. A friend just paid over $500 for an alignment on a 991 at a dealer...after his tires lasted nearly 25k! (Car drove fine too). Expect things to get worse as more Porsches are electric and thus need less regular maintenance. The mothership is trying to help the dealers with the 6yr brake pad changes on Taycans (ridiculous cash grab that will surely run $2k at the dealer).

NF
Old 11-23-2023, 05:10 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

I think the airbox problem they’re mentioning is the well known COV valve failure issue that throws a yellow coolant system flag. He did say that there was a cracked vacuum system component that runs the cabin resonator.

If this is the case, there’s no reason to replace the entire airbox unless I’m missing something!

Boy is this going to be a fun conversation tomorrow now that I’ve learned all of this…

I’m doing the battery and spoiler harness myself. If all we’re dealing with is a vacuum valve failure or a loose vacuum line, then I’m doing that myself too.

The only thing left is the PDK service and recalibration. Not something I’m willing to do myself, but I’m going to try to understand why they’re charging $3k for something that is DIY in a few hours with a few hundred bucks in fluids and fittings.

Ugh…what a painful lesson to learn. Glad you guys helped me catch it before I spent the money!
Old 11-23-2023, 05:12 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NF4710
The dealers just don't care. They see every customer as a sucker. They also cross shop each other - assuredly an element of price fixing. Our local dealer told me their prices were in line with the LA dealers. Of course labor, retail space, and taxes are far less in NV but none of that matters to them. They actually sell parts on their website at a discount but charge full price for the same parts at service!

My hope would be that a tech savvy Porsche enthusiast creates a website/database of repair costs and dealers...would love to hold the shady ones accountable. A friend just paid over $500 for an alignment on a 991 at a dealer...after his tires lasted nearly 25k! (Car drove fine too). Expect things to get worse as more Porsches are electric and thus need less regular maintenance. The mothership is trying to help the dealers with the 6yr brake pad changes on Taycans (ridiculous cash grab that will surely run $2k at the dealer).

NF
Such a website would be amazing. I don’t have much hope that they’ll come down on their estimates, but I’m going to have the talk anyway before going elsewhere…
Old 11-23-2023, 10:11 PM
D W
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For reference, Porsche Columbus wants $1200 for a PDK fluid service. DIY price is about $750... Most of that is the $500(!) pan/filter.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:32 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 185 Posts

The dealer in Bellingham (Roger Jobs) was independent for a long time, but is now owned by an outfit called Swickard Auto Group, which has also recently opened Porsche Seattle North in Lynnwood.

So there is at least some competition for the Bellevue store, although I'd be amazed if the service rates aren't exactly the same.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:25 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Update:

Just went over the list of items with the advisor. I found an “error” in their hours quantity and rate within the first two minutes of sitting down.

I told them I won’t be having them do any of the suggested services and will either do them myself or at another shop (pdk service).

He told me that the vacuum system issue is apparently a valve inside of the airbox that’s molded into the box and has broken off, thus the entire box needs to be replaced.

I didn’t realize there’s a molded in valve that requires the entire airbox to be replaced to replace the valve? Is this correct?

For the price of the airbox and labor ($1600), I could get the rennline carbon fiber airbox upgrade and install it myself…

Im going to do the battery myself despite him warning me that the aftermarket batteries can mess up the electrical systems.

And as for the intermittent high-level brake light error, I’ll replace the harness myself when I get around to it.

He quoted me 1.5 hours for the battery, 7 hours for the pdk service, 3.5 hours for the spoiler harness, and 3 hours for the airbox replacement.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:39 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Battery replacement is maybe a 20 minute job (do a search for technique, specs and programming that may be required). Not sure what the dealership mechanics are doing for the other hour. LOL
Old 11-24-2023, 01:40 PM
Bluey
Intermediate

Battery replacement is maybe a 20 minute job (do a search for technique, specs and programming that may be required). Not sure what the dealership mechanics are doing for the other hour. LOL
I asked the same thing and the response was it needs to be reprogrammed for the remainder of the time.

Quick Reply: Sanity check on dealer service quotes for a few issues on my 2016 C2