Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerlocks: worth the hassle or hold out for lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 03:15 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
It's not misunderstood, it's just wrong. You can gatekeep all you want on what a real tire shop is or does, but I called six different ones in my area (Orlando burbs) and not one has a 3/4" drive socket, bar or torque wrench. I'm sure if I had spent more time looking I may have found one but I finally went to Porsche for tires (who actually had a full set of Cup2s in stock for nearly the same price as online). I will ultimately purchase the tools and be able to remove them myself but the fact is that the universe of options for tire service shrinks dramatically when you have CL wheels.

That said, I still love mine and would get them again. So for me it's worth it.
…that’s literally what I said in my post. Point by point 🤣

Old 01-19-2024, 03:25 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts

OK, I would prefer to not have CLs, but I love my TTS exponentially more than I dislike CLs.

Thus, I'm game for getting up to speed on changing them, and I've ordered the Precision Instruments 3/4 drive, breaker bar/torque wrench combo kit, and alignment tool to do the job. I want to be able to: A) easily do changes in my garage, and B) carry them in the frunk so that I have what is needed if a flat bed trip to the nearest Billy Bob's tire repair is necessary.

I will not be attempting to do a tire repair on the side of the road, but I wouldn't do that w/ 5 lug wheels either.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-19-2024 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IXLR8 (01-19-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 03:50 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

As a service to the community, for those who have purchased the necessary tools, can someone list the absolute bare minimum tools including the paste that would be necessary for a road trip through areas with minimal Porsche services
Old 01-20-2024, 04:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
As a service to the community, for those who have purchased the necessary tools, can someone list the absolute bare minimum tools including the paste that would be necessary for a road trip through areas with minimal Porsche services
Post #105 above where I posted a link to some of the tools required. I carry a 3/4" extendable breaker bar that I keep in a case I made.

For emergency use, you do not need a torque wrench. The procedure to tighten the nut is on the nut itself and in the Porsche owners manual.

The paste is available from Porsche or Pelican Parts. A good idea to pack some latex gloves (Harbor Freight) because the messy paste is the only downside to Centerlock ownership as well as a zip-lock bag to put the nut into so that it doesn't pick up grit till it is reinstalled.
96redLT4 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 04:15 PM
Foosh
Racer

@96redLT4

I would say the Precision Instrument 3/4" drive combo breaker bar and torque wrench set ($500-ish) is the bare minimum to carry for a roadtrip. In addition you need the aluminum paste that I ordered from SunCoast Porsche for $32.

The wrench/breaker bar will work perfectly with the OEM locking nut socket provided with your car. A wheel alignment tool also available from SunCoast ($230) is useful to keep from damaging PCCB or regular rotors, and easier to remove and mount the wheel/tire.

There are cheaper alternatives, but the torque wrench below is known for accuracy, high quality, and favored by many Porsche owners.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HDPJF38?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HDPJF38?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I don't plan on carrying jack stands or a jack, and Porsche says the car must be off the ground when removing the center locks. No way I'm doing that on the side of the road, so a flatbed trip to the closest repair facility will be required. I just want to make sure that the required tools are with me, since many standard tire/wheel shops won't have them.

If you're doing it at home, then buy at least a pair of ESCO jack stands ($130) if you don't have a lift. The fancier jack stand alternatives (e.g. Jackpoint) you see around the forum and in YouTube videos are back-ordered forever.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8T66LMS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8T66LMS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Bottom line is I bought quality stuff, which is all I need, for just under $900.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-20-2024 at 04:52 PM.
96redLT4 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:47 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Precision Instruments has a new case that now holds all 4 makes it super easy. A small scissor Jack when on a road trip would get you self sufficient. Latex gloves and paste and Smokin GTS extension and youre done.

If the CL are not for you then go 5lug. That will just make CL GTS variants less common in the future. 🙂

Last edited by Jack F; 01-20-2024 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:13 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
A small scissor Jack when on a road trip would get you self sufficient.
I bought one of these Porsche jacks on eBay. Aluminum and light and the tip fits into the jack points in our Porsches. With all this gear in my emergency kit, chances are nothing will ever happen.

As for the Precision Instruments torque wrench, there are two nearly identical that are available, one with and one without the breaker bar extension. I got the one without simply because there was no way I was going to cart a large case with the torque wrench around. The extendable breaker bar that I cart around is more than sufficient.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:31 AM
Foosh
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack F
Precision Instruments has a new case that now holds all 4 makes it super easy. A small scissor Jack when on a road trip would get you self sufficient. Latex gloves and paste and Smokin GTS extension and youre done.

If the CL are not for you then go 5lug. That will just make CL GTS variants less common in the future. 🙂
Yep, and one cell phone fiddler not paying attention that you're on the side of the road changing a tire, and you're done. For the record, I wouldn't be changing a 5-lug on the side of the road either, so this is not a CL issue..

Last edited by Foosh; 01-21-2024 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:40 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I have not purchased yet but I am curious what the group thinks of a
Digital Torque Wrench Adapter Digital Torque Wrench Adapter
coupled with
3/4 Drive Socket 3/4 Drive Socket
both on Amazon for under $200 USD. I would not be shocked to learn that the digital adapters are not good but if they do work well, this would be by far the most cost effective way to get what's needed.

Torque Adapter

Standard 3/4" drive socket, extendable

Yes, I'm fully aware of the irony of trying to acquire budget repair tools for $100K+ cars with expensive wheels and tires....

Last edited by cbredesen; 01-21-2024 at 11:42 AM.
96redLT4 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 11:55 AM
RennListUser01
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great discussion on the need for special stuff to carry ... well, if it makes you feel special 🫤

I do like the idea of aluminum scissor jacks, though - probably get one for my boat trailer.
Old 01-21-2024, 12:02 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 780 Posts

I went 5l to CL so have my CL to 5l parts fs
Old 01-21-2024, 12:12 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,125 Likes on 672 Posts

I have not purchased yet but I am curious what the group thinks of a Digital Torque Wrench Adapter coupled with 3/4 Drive Socket both on Amazon for under $200 USD. I would not be shocked to learn that the digital adapters are not good but if they do work well, this would be by far the most cost effective way to get what's needed.

Torque Adapter

Standard 3/4" drive socket, extendable

Yes, I'm fully aware of the irony of trying to acquire budget repair tools for $100K+ cars with expensive wheels and tires....
I actually bought the adaptor, but I use it to test the accuracy of my torque wrenches, never used it to torque anything. I cannot see why it would not work. I have heard that some of those extendable handles cannot handle the high ft/lbs, so just make sure you get the right one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
96redLT4 (01-21-2024), cbredesen (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 02:13 PM
Foosh
Racer

Has anyone ever done a CL removal on the side of the road with a scissor jack? With the amount of torque necessary to break loose the CL nut, I would imagine that could be a white knuckle experience.

I just did a test fit of the Precision Instruments (C4D600F36H) torque wrench/breaker bar combo kit, and the case doesn't fit flat on the floor in the frunk, but all the pieces fit nicely on the floor. I'm not carrying them around all the time, but on a road trip, I'll wrap each piece in a towel and stow them on the floor with luggage on top. I won't be losing much luggage capacity, and if the case did fit would take up a lot more space.

The photo below shows all the pieces. From top to bottom:

1) breaker bar handle extendable to 42"
2) center bar for torque wrench
3) reversible 3/4 ratchet head
4) torque wrench handle

It's an easy switch from breaker bar to torque wrench by simply switching the ratchet head back and forth.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-21-2024 at 04:25 PM.
96redLT4 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I have not purchased yet but I am curious what the group thinks of a Digital Torque Wrench Adapter coupled with 3/4 Drive Socket both on Amazon for under $200 USD. I would not be shocked to learn that the digital adapters are not good but if they do work well, this would be by far the most cost effective way to get what's needed.

Torque Adapter

The issue is having more components added to the Porsche Centerlock Socket that will lengthen it all from the socket and provide instability and slop while applying torque. Have you ever applied torque to a torque wrench with a nut via a long extension in between? Not too stable unless you hold the head of the wrench.

I am not talking about torque accuracy here but tool stability and that electronic torque adapter which I also have, adds a few inches. Remember how close that torque wrench is to the back fender, just inches away if you slip. I would know.

I have often thought why the Porsche Centerlock Socket and Centerlock Nut are not undercut to force the two together when torque is applied.

Last edited by IXLR8; 01-21-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Martin S. (01-24-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 04:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I just did a test fit of the Precision Instruments (C4D600F36H) torque wrench/breaker bar combo kit, and the case doesn't fit flat on the floor in the frunk.
Exactly why I do not carry that torque wrench with me and use an extendable breaker bar instead.

And as I already mentioned it before, in an emergency situation you can torque that nut by following the instructions on the nut or the Porsche manual. What part of this do pencil pushers not understand.

And if you have never loosened a Centerlock nut, it isn't very hard. You either use what you have or a torque multiplier.

Last edited by IXLR8; 01-21-2024 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Centerlocks: worth the hassle or hold out for lugs?