Sponsored by:

Inspection Due rantings

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 05:09 PM
pbnevins
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Inspection Due rantings

I bought my CPO '17 C2S with 26K miles in Aug '23. If it's relevant, it's PDK. I've driven it almost 2K miles in the past 6 months and today when I started it I was greeted with a brief "Inspection Due Now" message on one of the displays. So this being my first Porsche I thought WTH, I'll ask the dealership about it. Friendly neighborhood service advisor guessed that perhaps the car is due for a 4 year service. I thought that a bit odd. I mean, the car is 7 model years old. He couldn't say for certain without hooking it up to electronics etc but that was his guess. Oh and that's $3,300 if it's the case. I love this car, don't get me wrong. But what sort of "inspection" warrants a charge like that? Is it something an Indy shop can do or am I required to do it at the dealer to maintain any warranty? My past vehicles have mostly been BMW's and I think inspections for wear and tear / leaks were on the house. Then you paid the M-Tax when they discovered something out of tolerance (which was usually the case with those cars).

Is this typical? Thanks in advance.

Popular Reply

03-20-2024, 09:45 AM
pbnevins
Rennlist Member

Thought I'd update this thread. The car goes in 3/25 for serpentine belt, spark plugs, 40K mile service (28K miles on it currently), and whatever else it needs to satisfy all warranty requirements. All on Porsche's dime. Seems my investigative work has uncovered a bit of shady practices at one or both previous dealerships where the car was sold. Sadly, Porsche NA wouldn't get involved (because private dealerships blah blah) but in the end my local dealer stepped up and owned it. Unfortunately it fell on them because they ultimately sold it to me under the assumption everything was in order for CPO when it clearly was not. My service manager was attempting to cut a deal with me where I pay half but I kept declining. He suggested we meet with the store owner. During that meeting, said manager was explaining the situation when the store owner put his hand up and stopped him mid-sentence and told him to make it right no matter what it costs them - anything the vehicle needs is on the house. I really didn't have to say a word. I just did a silent fist pump.

So there you have it. Good things do happen from time to time!
Old 02-26-2024, 05:46 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 276 Posts

Porsche bases service on both time and mileage so your car is probably due for something if you are getting that message. You should look for a local indy mechanic that you can use. You will save some money over the dealer for sure. I would be surprised if the dealer sold the car CPO without the 4 year 40k service done but you never know. The $3300 should be for the service, not just an inspection. Spark plugs are due to be changed so that's the pricy part of the service if that's what you need. The P-tax is a thing for sure too. Love the car! Good luck!!

Last edited by spyderbret; 02-26-2024 at 05:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by spyderbret:
cbredesen (03-20-2024), pbnevins (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:47 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 417 Posts

This can get complicated. You bought it CPO from a Porsche dealer? If so, all service items should have been brought up to date prior to selling it to you. At the time you bought it, it was presumably about 6 years old, so it should have had at least a spark plug change prior to your purchase. Same with the engine air filter. Brake fluid. Etc.

Do you have any service records for the vehicle? Even a Carfax report? The dealer may or may not be able to tell you what's been done to the vehicle if it wasn't previously serviced by them.

Find out everything you can from the selling dealer in terms of service history including what service they performed to CPO it. Then you can figure out what's needed.

I have a 2017 C2S also and I've attached the service checklist from my owners manual.
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
pbnevins (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:46 AM
MingusDew
Burning Brakes

Received 1,058 Likes on 537 Posts

$3k isn’t the cost for inspection, it’s a cost for the major service, if it is required. Every year a service light comes on, or every 10k miles. There are minor and major services. A CPO car should be up to date on service, which would include those due for time or mileage, but honestly there are many examples where that isn’t the case. The 4 year service was due in 2021 for a 2017, and would be due again next year. The dealer you bought the car from may have records, but if the work was not performed and you bought the car without pointing that out prior, they may not feel obliged to rectify that at this point. Taking the car to the dealer (assuming the car was local purchase) and discussing with them is the best course of action.
pbnevins (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:52 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

When you bought your car was the services up to date?

What service documentation do you have?

If the service's have been completed you just need to reset the computer and keep driving.

Here's the list:
https://www.pcarwise.com/wp-content/...e-schedule.pdf
pbnevins (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 10:06 AM
RennListUser01
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts

First, ensure the 4 year service was completed before ypu bought it - CPO is supposed to gave service up to date.

Second, I would not sweat anything except the oil change, assuming everything working ok.

Third, figure out when it is convenient for you, and your trusted independent service shop to complete other services over they next year.
pbnevins (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:07 AM
pbnevins
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input greatly.

I found the CarFax history with a brief list of maintenance performed and then spoke with Porsche SA a few minutes ago. Lengthy discussion that resulted in them contacting P of A for a detailed service history report. Supposedly I'm getting called back once they have that in hand. But thanks to you all, I raised a few pertinent points regarding CPO and service requirements that they will address. We'll see what shakes loose.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:00 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

yea either they are on the hook for the 4 year service or you have to get the plugs done and most people buy plugs and coils through FCP euro so the next time they are free. If you have pdcc I think that service interval is 6 years and I would make sure it is done as it is a faulty design where the filter is contained in the bottle. Go to a indy and get prices for specific things. The PDCC bottle apparently is hard to get to but any mechanic or tune up place can do plugs and coils.
pbnevins (02-27-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 09:45 AM
pbnevins
Rennlist Member

Thought I'd update this thread. The car goes in 3/25 for serpentine belt, spark plugs, 40K mile service (28K miles on it currently), and whatever else it needs to satisfy all warranty requirements. All on Porsche's dime. Seems my investigative work has uncovered a bit of shady practices at one or both previous dealerships where the car was sold. Sadly, Porsche NA wouldn't get involved (because private dealerships blah blah) but in the end my local dealer stepped up and owned it. Unfortunately it fell on them because they ultimately sold it to me under the assumption everything was in order for CPO when it clearly was not. My service manager was attempting to cut a deal with me where I pay half but I kept declining. He suggested we meet with the store owner. During that meeting, said manager was explaining the situation when the store owner put his hand up and stopped him mid-sentence and told him to make it right no matter what it costs them - anything the vehicle needs is on the house. I really didn't have to say a word. I just did a silent fist pump.

So there you have it. Good things do happen from time to time!
The following 10 users liked this post by pbnevins:
cbredesen (03-20-2024), Dark Kauphee (03-20-2024), InTgr8r (03-20-2024), MingusDew (03-29-2024), Nandska (03-20-2024), Onami (03-21-2024), Porsche_nuts (03-20-2024), shammerman (03-20-2024), spyderbret (03-20-2024), thesaintusa (03-20-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2024, 11:19 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 118 Posts

Buy a Icarsoft (good to have) and plug it into your OBD port and clear the code if everything else has been done. But yes if you paid for the CPO everything should have been done at the dealer!
pbnevins (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 11:23 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Thanks for closing the loop!
pbnevins (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 12:06 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 98 Posts

I find that a little borderline. if say the spark plugs and air filter aren't due for another 6 months as in your case then technically the car was up to date on service when it was sold as CPO. a decent good will gesture but hardly a requirement.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:15 PM
pbnevins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rensoyka
I find that a little borderline. if say the spark plugs and air filter aren't due for another 6 months as in your case then technically the car was up to date on service when it was sold as CPO. a decent good will gesture but hardly a requirement.
It's not borderline. 1st dealer CPO'd the car without doing the plugs, mileage services, or really any service needed to satisfy CPO - just did a paperwork shuffle for whatever reason (shady). Second dealer same scenario. I bought it from third dealer who "assumed" all was done because why would anyone ever shortcut anything ever - but didn't check for records. In fact none of it had been done. So, all three dealers had a part in it. I bought the car with knowledge given to me by the third dealer that all of it had been done. Except there's no record of any of it. Which is a solid requirement for CPO.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:30 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 98 Posts

the records are an issue, however they don't have to replace maintenance items that are up to date to satisfy being CPO, assuming that they can prove the dates.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:59 PM
pbnevins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rensoyka
the records are an issue, however they don't have to replace maintenance items that are up to date to satisfy being CPO, assuming that they can prove the dates.
And how do they prove dates without records? Round and round we go.

It's all good and the car is getting up to date with all services which was ultimately the goal from the start.

Quick Reply: Inspection Due rantings