Sponsored by:

Battery message in mfd

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 03:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Seems it is an AGM. Other sites just link to Porsche parts dept sites that don’t specify AGM.
Exactly why I was in a panic when I first got my GTS and saw 14.8V on the MFD thinking it had a conventional Flooded Lead Acid battery. It is an AGM and I have seen as high as 15.0V at times when it was 6°C out and that is perfectly normal.

Banner batteries are not available in North America unless they might be sold at Porsche with a Porsche label. I emailed Banner in Austria and they told me that East Penn Battery in the US is making their batteries (I would assume under licence) for the North American market. I am familiar with East Penn as I still have a "conventional FLA" battery from them that I bought in 2009.

East Penn makes the East Penn Deka Intimidator AGM - 9A94R (H7).

When buying a battery, check the date code label and bring a DMM and check the open circuit (OC) voltage to make sure it hasn't been in storage for ages. Mind you, AGM batteries have a very low self discharge rate when in the OC condition.
Attached Images
Old 04-07-2024, 03:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

By the way. Source: East Penn Batteries...

Old 04-07-2024, 05:40 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Exactly why I was in a panic when I first got my GTS and saw 14.8V on the MFD thinking it had a conventional Flooded Lead Acid battery. It is an AGM and I have seen as high as 15.0V at times when it was 6°C out and that is perfectly normal.

Banner batteries are not available in North America unless they might be sold at Porsche with a Porsche label. I emailed Banner in Austria and they told me that East Penn Battery in the US is making their batteries (I would assume under licence) for the North American market. I am familiar with East Penn as I still have a "conventional FLA" battery from them that I bought in 2009.

East Penn makes the East Penn Deka Intimidator AGM - 9A94R (H7).

When buying a battery, check the date code label and bring a DMM and check the open circuit (OC) voltage to make sure it hasn't been in storage for ages. Mind you, AGM batteries have a very low self discharge rate when in the OC condition.

Thanks for the info and the chart. I thinks is great to have good info in threads like this for next person that is going to be reading it.

I have the NOCO Genius 1 on the battery now. It’s a 1amp charger. I’m going to get the NOCO Genius 5 that is a 5 amp charger and good for batteries up to 120 ah. It has a battery repair mode that the others don’t. With 3 car with batteries between 3.5 and 5.5 years old, hooking the charger up and performing a repair mode seems like a good idea every now and then. The Genius 1 should be done by the time the Genius 5 comes so it will be interesting to hook up the 5 and see what it thinks of the condition that the 1 created.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:45 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

In reading up on our Banner batteries, they are supposedly the same as the Bosch, Autozone and Walmart platinum labels.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:44 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I've never been a true believer in those quick battery tests (they are good for shops and garages because they are quick) compared to a real load test and capacity test that I used to do in the lab, but being a tool hound, I decided to get one of these, a TOPDON BT200 from Amazon.

Yesterday, I ran a battery test on my original 8Y 10M old Banner battery. No doubt after that amount of time, it'll be a bit tired compared to day-one.

2024-03-24 16:11:54
Health: 75% 694A
Charge: 100% 12.63V
Intenal R: 3.30 milli-ohm
Rated: 800A EN

Battery test done last September 2023...
I had almost exactly the same numbers excepting internal resistance was about 4 units when I scanned my 2017 C2S last fall using iCarsoft POR 3.0, and decided to replace the battery proactively. Replaced it with a made-in-Germany AGM H7 battery from Walmart that cost about $200 and has a 4 year free replacement warranty. EN was 850. I decided to replace the OEM batteries on all 3 of my cars after the H9 Flooded Acid battery failed in my 2011 Audi S4 overnight without any prior symptoms triggering the BMS warnings. The H8 AGM OEM battery in my 2013 Audi Allroad was working fine but also showed about 70% of original capacity. Walmart definitely had the proper types and sizes of batteries available for in-store pickup and they were "fresher" than the one I bought from Advanced Auto Parts for the S4.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DR911s
Replaced it with a made-in-Germany AGM H7 battery from Walmart that cost about $200 and has a 4 year free replacement warranty.
I take it that is the EverStart PLATINUM H7 for $179.84. I was just looking at them last week while there...just in case. All fresh stock with date codes as new as 03/24.

Quick Reply: Battery message in mfd