Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange behavior on MFD Oil Measurement. Sudden major change in reading.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 05:24 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 417 Posts
Default Strange behavior on MFD Oil Measurement. Sudden major change in reading.

Nothing unusual going on with my car. 2017 C2S. I get in the car and go for a drive after sitting for only a couple of days. Occasionally, I check the oil reading to see how it looks and I was surprised to see it very low. A week or two ago it was near the top of the green range. As I sat there, shocked and driving very easy trying to make my way back home, this oil reading suddenly changed back to the normal range. Has this happened to anyone before? What could cause this? I have not ever had this happen before with this car. You can see on the time that this was one minute to the next.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:59 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 548 Likes on 374 Posts

Were you on a hill when it read low?
Old 04-11-2024, 06:03 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,126 Likes on 673 Posts

I have experienced a bunch of electrical glitches from time to time. Sometimes the bumper proximity sensors go off for no reason (not close to anything), PCM reboots unexpectedly, and who knows, maybe my oil gauge went from zero to full without me seeing it. Did you check underneath your car and see if there is any oil leaking?
Old 04-11-2024, 08:45 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Were you on a hill when it read low?
No. Driving easy on flat road.

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I have experienced a bunch of electrical glitches from time to time. Sometimes the bumper proximity sensors go off for no reason (not close to anything), PCM reboots unexpectedly, and who knows, maybe my oil gauge went from zero to full without me seeing it. Did you check underneath your car and see if there is any oil leaking?
No. Only about a minute lapsed before it went back to normal so I was no longer concerned. What concerns me is that I had the low oil reading to begin with. Had I gotten home and it was still that way, I would have easily added a quart. Glad that didn’t happen.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:54 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

I believe I read one time that rather than a float the system uses some type of sonar system to measure the oil level so who knows what might go wrong. Someone correct me if necessary.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:07 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 260 Posts

If it happens again, I would install a new oil level sensor. Sensors do go bad from time to time. The oil will have to be drained, so might as well do an oil change at the same time. Very simple job. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolpertinger:
Foosh (04-14-2024), IRunalot (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:27 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,126 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
If it happens again, I would install a new oil level sensor. Sensors do go bad from time to time. The oil will have to be drained, so might as well do an oil change at the same time. Very simple job. https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Interesting. Good info. Looks easy enough to change.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:16 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 423 Posts

If I remember correctly oil level should be measured when on a level surface with the engine OFF. You should also wait several minutes after shutdown to take the measurement. All bets are off if you're driving while trying to take the measurement.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:02 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts

The car shouldn’t be taking a reading when the conditions aren’t met. If it is then another sensor could be faulty.

Conditions to take a reading are:
rear lid closed
oil temp > 158 F
engine speed off or <2500 rpm
acceleration < 1 m/s^2
tilt angle < 5.7 degrees
conditions stable for 2.5 sec.

The car can be cold and off and you can still pull up a reading. Thats just the last reading it took. That will get erased if you open the rear lid and you wont get another reading until you run the car again.

Last edited by JimEb; 04-12-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:57 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
Outstanding reply, @Wolpertinger . You wouldn't happen to know if the part and procedure are similar or the same for the 991.2, would you? I know the oil pans are different since they changed to the plastic type for the 991.2. Thanks again!!!
Old 04-13-2024, 02:55 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
If I remember correctly oil level should be measured when on a level surface with the engine OFF. You should also wait several minutes after shutdown to take the measurement. All bets are off if you're driving while trying to take the measurement.
Yes, that's what the guidance says, but in my 991.1 TTS the oil level always reads the same on flat surfaces whether driving, idling, or with engine shut down and measured after a few minutes. If the conditions aren't right for a measurement, I receive that message.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:10 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Outstanding reply, @Wolpertinger . You wouldn't happen to know if the part and procedure are similar or the same for the 991.2, would you? I know the oil pans are different since they changed to the plastic type for the 991.2. Thanks again!!!
I can’t remember if the numbers are exactly the same for the 991.2, but the basic rules are the same. Best thing to do is always follow the same measurement routine. For me that means I take it easy the last couple miles leading to my garage, park, engine running and idle for about 45 seconds and then take reading.

The gauge can be temperamental sometimes but following the same routine will give very stable measurements.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:30 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
The part number is the same, according to Pelican Parts. So the procedure must be pretty similar, too.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:39 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

Terrier, I’ve had some weird left and right fog lights warnings once that have never reappeared. I would monitor and possible replace sensor if it happens a few more times. I wonder if it glitched out would you be able to drive or would it put into into limp mode or something similar. That could be a mess if you were far from home. Where is this sensor located?
Old 04-14-2024, 12:15 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

@Jack F

Click on the link in post #6, which provides pictures of the unit (accessible next to the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan), as well as the installation procedure. Replacing the sensor itself appears to be about as easy as changing the front side marker lights, once the oil pan is drained.

Quick Reply: Strange behavior on MFD Oil Measurement. Sudden major change in reading.