Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight wheels for 991.2 narrow-body cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 01:47 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 436 Posts

Great thread. Still waiting for mine from the Black Friday sale (soon I’m told). I’m still debating whether to order new Cup 2s for the Apex wheels or simply mount my 1-year old set of PS4Ss. Although having two full sets of wheels and tires for the car is what I think I want, I’d also like to try the progressive change of wheels then tires (I keep reading of the stiffer sidewalls on Cup 2s).

Old 04-17-2024, 11:07 PM
HNSC4S
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great and informative thread - thanks Pete.

curious a ballpark cost for powder coating those wheels Porsche silver? Really love that finish and think I’d stick with it for my night blue metallic 991.2
Old 04-19-2024, 07:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by HNSC4S
Great and informative thread - thanks Pete.

curious a ballpark cost for powder coating those wheels Porsche silver? Really love that finish and think I’d stick with it for my night blue metallic 991.2
Range here seems to be $250-500/wheel depending on wheel size, work/repairs needed, desired finish quality, etc.

Other thoughts, now having done it:
  • I did read up on the "for/against" re: heat applied in the powder coating process, and also spoke with my mechanic. I recommend doing same, and asking any potential vendor what temps will be used.
  • Motivating factors for me vs regular paint:
    • 1) Some 987 wheels I had resprayed years ago came back with some (minor) runs and drips, this from a good shop.
    • 2) Modern wheels often show a fair bit of "rock rash" on their spokes and pretty quickly—probably due to design and/or soft paints required or chosen.
  • I ended up working with a shop that services high-end new car dealers. It doesn't take paint codes, instead matching existing finishes (they specialize in curb rash, pothole repairs, etc). Guessing any major metro has a go-to like this one.
  • While I was concerned by cloudy, gray-ish powder-coated "silvers" I've seen, the samples at the shop were reassuring and the silver I got is at least as beautiful as any sprayed silver I've seen.
  • The shop said my wheels would be ready the following morning, so I adjusted finish quality expectations downward. What I got was very close to a concours finish on the face and inner barrel, though the outer barrel (that gets hidden by the mounted tire) wasn't so pretty...something they warned me about as they have to hold the wheel somehow.
  • Make sure to speak to the shop about the lug bolt seats, hub flange, and center cap bore.
  • Thousands of miles later, the finish seems to be considerably more durable than OE wheel paint—with less rock spray & chip damage showing on the spokes…maybe 70-90% better?
Old 04-19-2024, 07:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Great thread. Still waiting for mine from the Black Friday sale (soon I’m told). I’m still debating whether to order new Cup 2s for the Apex wheels or simply mount my 1-year old set of PS4Ss. Although having two full sets of wheels and tires for the car is what I think I want, I’d also like to try the progressive change of wheels then tires (I keep reading of the stiffer sidewalls on Cup 2s).
^ Do you run in the rain, too?
Old 04-19-2024, 09:23 PM
HNSC4S
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=stout;19395690]Range here seems to be $250-500/wheel depending on wheel size, work/repairs needed, desired finish quality, etc.

Other thoughts, now having done it:
  • I did read up on the "for/against" re: heat applied in the powder coating process, and also spoke with my mechanic. I recommend doing same, and asking any potential vendor what temps will be used.
  • Motivating factors for me vs regular paint:
    • 1) Some 987 wheels I had resprayed years ago came back with some (minor) runs and drips, this from a good shop.
    • 2) Modern wheels often show a fair bit of "rock rash" on their spokes and pretty quickly—probably due to design and/or soft paints required or chosen.
  • I ended up working with a shop that services high-end new car dealers. It doesn't take paint codes, instead matching existing finishes (they specialize in curb rash, pothole repairs, etc). Guessing any major metro has a go-to like this one.
  • While I was concerned by cloudy, gray-ish powder-coated "silvers" I've seen, the samples at the shop were reassuring and the silver I got is at least as beautiful as any sprayed silver I've seen.
  • The shop said my wheels would be ready the following morning, so I adjusted finish quality expectations downward. What I got was very close to a concours finish on the face and inner barrel, though the outer barrel (that gets hidden by the mounted tire) wasn't so pretty...something they warned me about as they have to hold the wheel somehow.
  • Make sure to speak to the shop about the lug bolt seats, hub flange, and center cap bore.
  • Thousands of miles later, the finish seems to be considerably more durable than OE wheel paint—with less rock spray & chip damage showing on the spokes…maybe 70-90% better?

thanks for the information! Again, love the silver you have with the dark green.

matt

Old 04-22-2024, 08:34 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts

I saw you made the website with those pics... Love the green, your car looks great.
The following 2 users liked this post by CTDan:
jeron658 (04-28-2024), stout (04-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Lightweight wheels for 991.2 narrow-body cars