Sponsored by:

dump truck, gravel + bump in road

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 01:59 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 181 Posts
Default dump truck, gravel + bump in road

was not following closely,, perhaps 7 or 8 car lengths when the truck was jostled by the usual and customary Pennsylvania road bumps (I think they install them when they repave). Gravel escaped from the truck and danced on the road bouncing everywhere including my Porsche.

Actually the frunk hood fared well..just stone chips. Windshield sustained chips. I'm fine with the over $10,000 estimate to replace the windshield and refinish the hood, bumper and fenders as I elected a $100 comprehensive deductible.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:03 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Right on.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:10 PM
K996
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

dang. 10k?
can we see pics of the carnage?
Old 04-20-2024, 04:00 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

There are no dents just a bunch of “scars” consisting of small spots where the factory primer is visible.
Old 04-20-2024, 06:40 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

10k for a windshield and a hood repaint? Are they dipping them in gaudy gold? Painting it by hand with a brush? Wrapping it in lynx leather?
​​​​​​
​​​​​​If your insurance is ok with it do name them as that is good service.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:02 PM
MingusDew
Burning Brakes

Received 1,061 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
10k for a windshield and a hood repaint? Are they dipping them in gaudy gold? Painting it by hand with a brush? Wrapping it in lynx leather?
​​​​​​
​​​​​​If your insurance is ok with it do name them as that is good service.
a while back I had a drunk driver hit my Tacoma. The estimate grew from $4k to $6k and then somehow ended up at $9k by the time they were done. Body shops LOVE to fleece insurance companies.
The following users liked this post:
911T4ME (05-01-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 08:52 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

It’s refinish hood, fenders, bumper and new windshield plus plastic coating and Porsche tax.

Last edited by rnl; 04-20-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:56 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

OP - very sorry to read about your experience. Best of luck getting it sorted.

Back in 2012, I bought a “babied” C6 Z06 to be a (mostly) track car. It was my third track car, the first two being very ill-suited to the “job”. The first Z06 owner had only put on 3k miles. It was in “pristine” condition. He and his wife were expecting a baby and I think he was in over his head. I wasn’t crazy about the Victory Red color, but we found the car about 5 miles away, and it was too good a deal to worry about the color (I wanted Cyber Grey).

We had the hood/front half covered in PPF knowing the track tracking would wreak some havoc on the paint. Why not keep it perfect (underneath) for resale?

A friend helped me pick up the car, and the plan was that we’d go for a nice drive and he was going to teach me heel/toe downshifts on some rural twisties. We were only about a mile into our drive, and coming in the opposite direction was a landscape”dump” truck (no cover on the load). We both crossed a small bridge at the same time (opposite directions). When his truck transitioned over the bridge “joint”, the road bumped the truck, and fist-sized pieces of granite flew out and peppered my car. This wasn’t like smooth river rock. These were jagged pieces of granite. It was a 45mph road, and traffic was a bit heavy. I stopped as soon as I could and turned around to try and find the truck. Unfortunately there was a fork in the road in the direction the truck was going, and we didn’t know which way it went. We never found the truck. There was no name on the cab, nor on the dump part of the track.

My windshield survived with just a couple small pits. The PPF on the driver mirror had a big gouge/hole in it. The PPF on the hood had pock marks, plus the roof, plus all long the right side of the car. Thanks goodness it was destined to be a track car, but still…no one wants that for their car. And I was still planning to drive it on the street (it was a fun car).

We still carried on with the heel/toe lesson (which was great).

Once home, we made an insurance claim. I don’t recall the exact amount but I believe it was around $5k in 2011. There were no dents because it was fiberglass, but had it been a metal car it would have looked like a golf ball (and very possibly totaled based on that alone). The PPF minimized the damage, although some of the gouges went through the film and my assumption is the paint was marred. We never repaired it because….track. When we traded the car on the next car, the Z06 was wholesaled.

Any time I see a dump truck/landscaping truck - I keep my distance. Any time I see a bridge I try to cross (if possible) when no trucks are coming. Obviously it’s not always in one’s control, but it made me very aware of the dangers of uncovered loads. If it had been a Porsche I would have been heartbroken.

The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
Larson E. Rapp (04-22-2024), Omnigeek (04-23-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 09:41 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 118 Posts

I hate dump trucks and cement trucks and any trucks pulling trailers.......it's crazy here in Houston.....****'s always falling off them so when I come upon one, I either stay WAY back or get two lanes (in some cases 3 lanes) over and blast past.
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 11:25 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1000
I hate dump trucks and cement trucks and any trucks pulling trailers.......it's crazy here in Houston.....****'s always falling off them so when I come upon one, I either stay WAY back or get two lanes (in some cases 3 lanes) over and blast past.
This is the way.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:32 PM
foxj0001
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
was not following closely,, perhaps 7 or 8 car lengths when the truck was jostled by the usual and customary Pennsylvania road bumps (I think they install them when they repave). Gravel escaped from the truck and danced on the road bouncing everywhere including my Porsche.

Actually the frunk hood fared well..just stone chips. Windshield sustained chips. I'm fine with the over $10,000 estimate to replace the windshield and refinish the hood, bumper and fenders as I elected a $100 comprehensive deductible.
windshield replacement should be ZERO deductible.
The rest? Depends on you InsurCo and policy details.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:44 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Insurance company finally sent an adjuster to examine the car. While he did not agree with the shop, the insurance estimate exceeds the shop estimate by $1,500, just under $12,000. The adjuster found additional damage to the A-pillars and one of the extraordinarily expensive headlights. Car front is being disassembled and restored. I'll post photos of the car after it is fixed.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:25 AM
joserpaq
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Would this come up as an accident on carfax since insureance was involved? That would suck
Old 05-01-2024, 10:29 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Would this come up as an accident on carfax since insureance was involved? That would suck
Wouldn't things get reported to CARFAX from the repair shop, not insurance? I'm actually curious ...

edit: OK this isn't really related but I checked the CARFAX on my daily driver Mazda which has been hit from behind and fixed by insurance. That was reported, as expected. It was also involved in a low speed parking lot collision by my dear daughter which was minor and never repaired. That was on there also and the only way it could have been is from the police report. So that's another data point, if anyone is curious about how CARFAX collects info!

Last edited by cbredesen; 05-01-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:59 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 423 Posts

In my opinion CARFAX isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Back when I was looking for my Turbo a local owner had a beautiful Miami blue turbo that got rear ended. He had it repaired by a certified Porsche repair center. But, he just couldn't live with the fact it was no longer perfect in his eyes, so he sold it. It came up locally on the used car market. When I tried to buy it the CARFAX was completely clean, no accidents! The selling dealer denied any manipulation of the report and refused to budge on the price because of an accident, so I walked. If the CARFAX shows some accident, I might accept it. If it shows perfectly clean car, I will be suspecting most anything. A good PPI will tell you so much more!

Quick Reply: dump truck, gravel + bump in road