Sponsored by:

Windshield Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 01:19 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Windshield Protection Film

Am considering this product for my new replacement window. Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 04-23-2024, 01:29 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1166...rotection.html

Windshield films is generally race car stuff. Dailying it never seemed like a good idea to me, personally, but there are folks here who do.

Exoshield usually comes up when this topic is mentioned. Expect the windshield wipers to cause scratches for a DD.
Old 04-23-2024, 02:48 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 181 Posts

thanks
Old 04-23-2024, 03:56 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 118 Posts

Living down here in Houston most sports cars have it just because the highways have so many stones and other crap on the roads......I too was thinking of doing it just haven't yet.
The following users liked this post:
Bayern991 (04-24-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:35 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

I had it applied to a new windshield a few years ago. Initially I loved it, but within two weeks of the install I took a rock to the windshield directly in my line of sight. The windshield was fine which is the point of the film, but having to look at the flaw (and subsequent flaws over time) in the film every time I got in the car drove me nuts. I eventually sold the car (not because of the windshield film) but I have not installed windshield protection film on my other cars since my first experiment.

DaveGee
Old 04-23-2024, 05:38 PM
sunspot2013
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had it on two 911s spanning over about four years and 30k or so miles. I am pleased with it. I believe it has prevented the windshield from becoming pitted, based on my experience owning a Cayman/911 without the film and seeings lots of used 911s that had pitted windshields. That is primarily why I bought it. So far there has not been a stone impact that has damaged the film/gone through it, but when that day comes and if it is in my line of sight, I will replace the film. To me, it is better to replace the film than replace the windshield.

The film has a hydrophobic coating built into it, which in terms of performance I equate roughly to a thin layer of Rain-X (better than nothing, but not as good as a proper coating with a top-shelf product). It also has UV protecting properties, and I can tell the difference on a hot summer day when the sun is shining directly at me while driving.

There are some cons to the film which you may have already read about. First, you can tell it is on the windshield while looking through the windshield from inside the car, which is to say, there is a minor distortion. To me, it is so slight that I quickly became used to it and no longer "see it," if that makes sense. But it can bother people to the point of it being a deal-killer. I think here is where the type of film matters, as does the install quality probably. Second, you have to take care of it. I was told not to use Windex or similar types of glass cleaners on it because it will erode the hydrophobic layer. Regular car wash soap is fine (and I usually clean it with Optimum No Rinse).

Overall, windshield film is like paint protection film in that it can't prevent 100% of impacts from going through to the underlying surface, the quality of the installer matters just as much as the film itself, and it requires some ongoing level of care/maintenance. For me, I have no doubt that it has protected my windshield and so it is worth all the downsides. About a month ago I was driving at about 25 mph and a golf ball was bouncing down the roadway and slammed my windshield head-on. I was shocked that the windshield did not crack on impact. I think the film *might* have had some role in this outcome, but that is pure speculation.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:55 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 380 Likes on 196 Posts

Just had exoshield GT3+ installed on Friday after replacing my windshield. I needed to replace the windshield because it had gotten so pitted from track grit that it had a nasty starburst effect when driving into the sun, making forward vision almost impossible. Given that it was a new windshield ($2200 for OEM), I thought I'd give the Exoshield a try - $450 fitted and it comes with a 2 year warranty. We'll see how it goes. As to distortion - I do not see anything, and did not even notice it on the track on Sunday. What I do notice, however, is that polarized sunglasses have a very small circular effect visible on the windshield if I tilt my head. Generally not a problem, though.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:59 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

There are several options out there, but Exoshield is at top of list for clarity and durability

It’ll help with the small and medium chips, most of the wear/tear a windshield goes through. This will preserve the original glass and installation from factory

installer is key here as extensive shrinking of the material is involved with extremely high heat. We shrink on our own 992 glass, we have a library of windshields for the cars we work on

the final hand trimming and shrinking is done on the vehicle itself and requires experience

thesaintusa (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:47 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 434 Posts

How much does this cost? Unlike PPF protecting paint, I’m a little confused as to why you wouldn’t just replace the glass at a certain point if you are putting something softer in front of the glass that will also get pitted. I just replaced my Super Duty windshield for just over $900. Does the film cost less than $200 installed?
GermanCarFan1 (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 07:34 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
How much does this cost? Unlike PPF protecting paint, I’m a little confused as to why you wouldn’t just replace the glass at a certain point if you are putting something softer in front of the glass that will also get pitted. I just replaced my Super Duty windshield for just over $900. Does the film cost less than $200 installed?
I paid $400 I believe about four years ago for it on my T. Happy with it.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:25 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 380 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
See my post 3 spots above. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1408...l#post19401956
Old 04-26-2024, 09:18 AM
ace10
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran four layer tear offs on our old G wagen. Got them from a race shop down in soiuthern VA.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:46 AM
Curious Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have DynoFlex on mine and it has performed well at impact protection and UV blocking...it's thick.
Minor drawbacks/my suggestions:
-need new wiper blades once you get it installed or deep cleaning your current ones as asellus alluded to
-always keep your wiper blades and the film fairly clean
-I have some minor distortion in mine...like thin horizontal lines but only noticeable when I really look for them
-all films are sacrificial...be prepared to remove or replace it once the wear and tear happens
-shop around for pricing and film options
For me, it's about time savings or rather, when to spend said time...a smashed windshield is an immediate time consumer but damaged film can be replaced when you get around to it. The UV blocking and cooler cabin is great too.

Quick Reply: Windshield Protection Film