Sponsored by:

Predicting the next GT3 and GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Nope, bcoz that would be an admission that they got it wrong, and they never get it wrong... we can only hope...
Fair enough/good point, let's wait and see.

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put my money on centerlocks being standard. Although if enough people bitch and moan, like they did about sunroofs, they could disappear as a no cost option...more likely have a $5K "sport hub" option that gives you the hubs from a regular Carrera. ...and no, sunroofs will not be on the 991 GT3; not even as an option due to the previous bitching and moaning that removed them from the 997.2 GT3. Bottom line is if you can show Porsche (actually VW) a way to make more money, they will take you up on it. Deleting sunroofs improves the bottom line with removing mechanical, electrical parts and the labor associated with their installation. Look at all the suckers who checked the boxes to give up A/C and go with cheap halogen headlights, yet pay the same price as the ones that came with them.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I would put my money on centerlocks being standard. Although if enough people bitch and moan, like they did about sunroofs, they could disappear as a no cost option...more likely have a $5K "sport hub" option that gives you the hubs from a regular Carrera. ...and no, sunroofs will not be on the 991 GT3; not even as an option due to the previous bitching and moaning that removed them from the 997.2 GT3. Bottom line is if you can show Porsche (actually VW) a way to make more money, they will take you up on it. Deleting sunroofs improves the bottom line with removing mechanical, electrical parts and the labor associated with their installation. Look at all the suckers who checked the boxes to give up A/C and go with cheap halogen headlights, yet pay the same price as the ones that came with them.
You opinion of GT3 buyers appears to have taken a few steps down: "bitch and moan," "suckers" ... ?

Sunroofs are a spine compression injury hazard if you're over 5'10 and wear a helmet while driving on the track. Harness or three-point street "lap sash" belts will make no difference.

The Porsche centerlocks simply don't work. The locking spline is a safety mechanism, not part of the assembly designed to hold the wheel in place. After the recall, the wheels still move, the splines lock up against the nut and it becomes impossible to remove the lock nut (the tool cannot insert into the nut when the splines are jammed) without significant effort (hammering the splines out of the way) and this is clearly not an intentional design. What happens next? More grease; more torque; a new nut or wholly new hubs? Pfft! I say. Pfft!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll be good. And look for an improvement on the center console of the ones we've seen photos of --
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
brutusflash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have it all wrong. The new GT3 will be powered by a 1.0ltr diesel hybrid producing 1.21 gigawatts that when accellerated to 72 mph will transport you " back to the future." I have been assured of this by a weissach engineer with long straggly white hair.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 922 Posts

Latest 991 interior shot:
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

^ i thought that's iporsche. the new video game you can buy in the i tune store???
Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about 991 and recent developments with Porsche and VW. Few personal thoughts. New emission standards, VW merger as well growing product line deviates from sports car heritage. Would it make more sense then to achieve the target growth by agressively expanding and refining boxter/cayman range, and brining up the new cayman as the "replacement" for 911 ? Make 2-door panamera (as GT) central to the brand given how they've been presenting it recently (geneva motorshow theater comes to mind as well as Asia orientation) - this should fill GTS and turbo niche as well as share parts bin with other VW brands. Bring out 918 as soon as possible - using the spyder rs bits and pieces refined as the top of the brand. As for 911, why not skip it for few cycles stamping out few limites series here and there. Well, they re-tooled the factory so that's no longer an option. By dropping 911 for a couple of years untill they could bring the concept further (as in to achieve sub 1,000kg platform GT3) and only offer factory upgrades for bit and pieces (electric steering pump, CF panels, clubsport upgrades etc) - surely they would of achieved something more than 991 for the masses.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:57 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i think 2004 was the best year of car manufacturing. a lot of great cars were produced that year.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You opinion of GT3 buyers appears to have taken a few steps down: "bitch and moan," "suckers" ... ?

Sunroofs are a spine compression injury hazard if you're over 5'10 and wear a helmet while driving on the track. Harness or three-point street "lap sash" belts will make no difference.

The Porsche centerlocks simply don't work. The locking spline is a safety mechanism, not part of the assembly designed to hold the wheel in place. After the recall, the wheels still move, the splines lock up against the nut and it becomes impossible to remove the lock nut (the tool cannot insert into the nut when the splines are jammed) without significant effort (hammering the splines out of the way) and this is clearly not an intentional design. What happens next? More grease; more torque; a new nut or wholly new hubs? Pfft! I say. Pfft!
Remember the days in 93-94 when you paid more to get a sunroof, A/C and a radio in an RS? Today you pay $0 to delete them. Bi-xenons used to be a $1090 option and given their safety benefits for both the driver and approaching traffic, makes them crazy to delete for a mere 2.2 lbs and no dollars back. Actually, choosing these options makes people suckers 2 times over. First, they make more money for Porsche when they spec to build a car this way and then they lose more money when they go to sell them down the line. Ever try to sell sell a $100k+ car in Texas without A/C?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Latest 991 interior shot:
Maybe it is the color, but OMG that is ugly and big.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it is a gt car now. looks like a panamera coupe. still, we have to wait n see...i'm not liking it at this stage though. AP will have to change the gt cars dramatically from the carreras to maintain interest i think.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Bigger, heavier, more e-nannies, PDK and faster. 991 based with full options available to the "specialty" designation models...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

I say we start a write-in campaign for Motec option....
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Lots of opportunities to compare and speculate with this photo:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Predicting the next GT3 and GT3RS?