Sponsored by:

PDCC: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDCC: yes or no?

I'm all set for an April delivery of a 991S, and close to finalizing the build. The lone outstanding question is: "To PDCC or not to PDCC?" Thoughts/opinions/suggestions?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely get PDCC. It is cutting edge technology. Porsches are sports cars so why not make yours as capable as possible. Residuals would be better. My thoughts/opinions/suggestions.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:47 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No way....Not for the 911 owner. Cutting edge means it will depreciate as fast as last years cutting edge laptop.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Rolando
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone driven a 991 with and without PDCC?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheMystro
No way....Not for the 911 owner. Cutting edge means it will depreciate as fast as last years cutting edge laptop.
that's nonsense. it's not a novelty which will wear off. PDCC is as important as DEM, imo.

BTW, what does not for the 911 owner even mean?? there is no wrong 911 and certainly PDCC does not detract from the classic rear engine design. why wouldn't anyone want less body roll?

the only reason(s) not to get PDCC, imo, would be initial cost and/or speculated repairs out of warranty (which could include any part of a new 911).

To PDK or not is subjective. PDCC, not so much; just a matter if it has value to the buyer for that buyer's intended use.

Electric steering.. well that's another story.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rolando
Has anyone driven a 991 with and without PDCC?
i thought Gallon just posted a thread on that. he was impressed, iircc.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
i thought Gallon just posted a thread on that. he was impressed, iircc.
Yes I read that review ... it was titled 'First non Journalist 991 Test Drives'

The Poster really loved the PDCC though for me Money is a factor so it looks like a 991 Carrera non -s is in my future
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM
TheMystro
Racer

I remember hearing the same thing when the tiptronic first came out.
that's nonsense. it's not a novelty which will wear off. PDCC is as important as DEM, imo.

BTW, what does not for the 911 owner even mean?
?

Electric steering.. well that's another story.
It means its another technological crutch that gets between the driver and road. Its also another thing to go wrong and will cost a fortune to diagnose after your warranty expires. How much more techno crap do you need infused into a already legendary car. Turn off the electric crap and just drive and enjoy.

Keep It Simple Stupid applies here. The 911 doesnt need anything else. Let the Benz guys have that crap.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the cost of repair down the road would be my concern. Then again, i recall when i was a kid my Dad refused to buy a TV w/ a remote control thinking it would break so guess who had to get up to change the channel?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

It means its another technological crutch that gets between the driver and road. Its also another thing to go wrong and will cost a fortune to diagnose after your warranty expires. How much more techno crap do you need infused into a already legendary car. Turn off the electric crap and just drive and enjoy.

Keep It Simple Stupid applies here. The 911 doesnt need anything else. Let the Benz guys have that crap.
My question is: How enjoyable will the 991 be to drive without PDCC,PDK, and PASM? Is it still a formidable car without the added gadgetry? If not, the 991 is a step backwards imo.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 PM
911dev
Drifting

where and how does "stupid" apply in your K.I.S.S. acronym?

anyway, crutch nothing. and, what does that ridiculous auto box aka tip-tronic have to do with anything? how can an item which lends to better handling be a crutch? so, coil overs or the like, if one chose, would basically meet your crutch criteria?

i am curious where is the line drawn and define when a 911 "doesn't need anything else" as you say? The 997S, 997, 996, 993, 964?

Last edited by 911dev; 12-21-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
the cost of repair down the road would be my concern. Then again, i recall when i was a kid my Dad refused to buy a TV w/ a remote control thinking it would break so guess who had to get up to change the channel?
exactly on both counts!

so would direct injection, DEM, PDK, VANOS, SC Plus, electric steering, etc..
Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
TheMystro
Racer

I think you are over thinking this. Last time I checked, Coil overs are not electric and does not require a piece of diagnostic gear to fix. Can you fix it in your garage with a set of hand tools?? Its all about how well this new technology ages and what will its maintenance be??? I can tell you its not gonna be pretty when one of these "improvements" craps the bed.
Its not that long ago but, look at a aircooled 911 manual. A large part of the manual gives you information to service/ fix the car with basic hand tools. This has always been one of the 911's most redeeming qualities of its peers and a corner stone belief of the Porsche empire. Not so any more, its only getting worse. The 911 owner is now at the mercy of the dealer and a huge repair bill that follows. I know Porsche has to come up with new features, but at what cost does 1/100 of a second improvement equate to reliability and maintenance cost?? What you are probably calling "progress" I am calling a electronic bastardization of the 911.

where and how does "stupid" apply in your K.I.S.S. acronym?

anyway, crutch nothing. and, what does that ridiculous auto box aka tip-tronic have to do with anything? how can an item which lends to better handling be a crutch? so, coil overs or the like, if one chose, would basically meet your crutch criteria?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
JLHendrix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are over thinking this. Last time I checked, Coil overs are not electric and does not require a piece of diagnostic gear for fix. Its all about how well this new technology ages and what will its maintenance be??? I can tell you its not gonna be pretty when one of these "improvements" craps the bed.
Its not that long ago but, look at a aircooled 911 manual. A large part of the manual gives you information to service/ fix the car. This has always been one of the 911's most redeeming qualities of its peers and a corner stone belief of the Porsche empire. Not so any more, its only getting worse. The 911 owner is now at the mercy of the dealer and a huge repair bill that follows. I know Porsche has to come up with new features, but at what cost does 1/100 of a second improvement equate to reliability and maintenance cost??
While I too lament the sterilizing and isolating effects of computerized steering and suspension control, (valve timing, fuel injection not so much), I think that the 991 is largely defined by such refinements and if you are going to get a 991 you should embrace the genre... so get the works. The car will feel vastly different from a 993 or even a 997 regardless of which options you choose though manual transmission might make the most difference for me personally.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
911dev
Drifting

^^ valid concerns for certain mystro.

I just love contemporary 911s. I do like them more raw as in the (my) .2 gt3, but love what the 991 is capable of; until hit with an expensive repair bill out of warranty of course.

Quick Reply: PDCC: yes or no?