Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions of those who've seen Racing Yellow "in the flesh"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinions of those who've seen Racing Yellow "in the flesh"?

Playing around with the configurator, for my tastes the Carrera S with black Carrera S wheels and black interior looks veddy veddy nice indeed.

I am way ahead of myself as I am contemplating a factory delivery in 2013 to coincide with my 50th birthday but I'd be interested to know opinions on Racing Yellow from those who've seen it in the flesh. How does it compare with Fly Yellow (besides being brighter)? Fly Yellow was never a favourite of mine.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

I have seen a 997.2 Speed Yellow next to a 991 Racing Yellow last October at Rennsport. The new yellow is more of a lemon yellow. I prefer a richer/warmer yellow, even richer/warmer than Speed Yellow which I think is a bit pale; the new yellow is paler still.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

think ferrari yellow.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

It's much brighter and less golden yellow like speed yellow. I prefer the brighter yellow of racing yellow...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

here's a pic I took at Rennsport, look up the Rennsport IV threads for more photos
I'm partial to yellow, the new Racing Yellow looks great
I'd call it a "bright" yellow
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:38 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

That yellow is a little too bright for my taste. I liked Speed and liked the old Champagne they used on early 911s, 356s and XKEs!

Tom
Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 PM
ericpso
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Canary. I like all yellows - even Lime Gold. I like this.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Glackour
1st Gear

I just took delivery of mine in Racing Yellow , put aerokit and black wheels on it. Yellow is dodgy until you see it in the flesh (can go either way) so I was pretty anxious !! No need though....it far FAR surpasses expectation ....a vibrant colour that really contours the 991 and I think makes particularly good use of the aerokit look. It is universally admired by people...and significantly , yellow 'haters' are eating their hats. I would recommend this combo without hesitation (by the way , I was actually sure I wanted Guards Red originally but then I figured the black detail and rear light standout works much better on the yellow car. Now in retrospect , with all due respect to the great red , I know for sure I took the right step.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The new Platinum wheels on a yellow 991 should look ideal also.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
suhaas307
AutoX

I've seen a Racing Yellow 991 in the flesh. It certainly 'pops', as it should. More than the old Speed-Yellow in my opinion.

I like it, but I personally wouldn't get a yellow 991 unless I'm building a collection of sports-cars.

I can't imagine driving into a 5-star Hotel in my yellow 991 without feeling like an adolescent or a spoiled-brat. But that's just me.

No offense!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Racing Yellow looks terrific. I personally could never see myself in it, but if you can then you will probably love it.

I wouldn't put much weight on the way things look in the Configurator. ALL the colors- interior and exterior- are so far out of whack with reality as to be almost a waste of time. But the reason I say almost is that IF you take the time to check out pics in threads like this to give yourself a better idea of the TRUE colors, AND THEN are somehow able to IMAGINE what they would look like if not rendered so AWFUL INACCURATELY in the Configurator, well THEN its useful! I've found it a lot more useful with interior options, imagining what trim painted or in leather or carbon will look like. For the exterior try and find pictures of the color and wheel combo you THINK you like on the Configurator. Even then I've been misled a few times because finishes don't look right. (Platinum wheels are satin finish not glossy, etc) For what they charge we should be able to see what we can order in the flesh. Lacking that, they should at least be able to provide a reasonably close facsimile on-line. But then for perspective I checked out Ferrari, which makes Porsche look positively state of the art. But still, they need to work on this....
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Racing yellow is an absolutely vibrant color that enhances the lines of the 991 very well. I saw one with platinum wheels - amazing! Black interior with yellow deviating stitching and yellow gauges. Very Ferrari-ish. For a weekend and fun / track car absolutely. I was very very close to ordering this combination, but since it will be a daily driver and I will be taking business associates sometimes I chickened out and went for something more neutral....
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM
996C2Cabriolet
Advanced

I have a Racing Yellow S Cab and couldn't be any happier with the color. Have had several 911s in black and wanted something to pop and show all the lines and curves of the 991. I was a little nervus to buy one sight unseen, but dont have any regrets.
Delivery pics are here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7322...ng-yellow.html
I can put some more pics at certain angles if anyone is interested.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

yeah, I am wondering how hard it's for the web designer to stick a "actual photo" of the car for each of the exterior color when your mouse goes over the color tile.

Originally Posted by chuck911
Racing Yellow looks terrific. I personally could never see myself in it, but if you can then you will probably love it.

I wouldn't put much weight on the way things look in the Configurator. ALL the colors- interior and exterior- are so far out of whack with reality as to be almost a waste of time. But the reason I say almost is that IF you take the time to check out pics in threads like this to give yourself a better idea of the TRUE colors, AND THEN are somehow able to IMAGINE what they would look like if not rendered so AWFUL INACCURATELY in the Configurator, well THEN its useful! I've found it a lot more useful with interior options, imagining what trim painted or in leather or carbon will look like. For the exterior try and find pictures of the color and wheel combo you THINK you like on the Configurator. Even then I've been misled a few times because finishes don't look right. (Platinum wheels are satin finish not glossy, etc) For what they charge we should be able to see what we can order in the flesh. Lacking that, they should at least be able to provide a reasonably close facsimile on-line. But then for perspective I checked out Ferrari, which makes Porsche look positively state of the art. But still, they need to work on this....
Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with earlier comment regarding Racing Yellow evoking more Lemon than the previous yellows.

Think this spectrum for relativity:
Taxi cab yellow- Speed Yellow- Racing Yellow - lemon yellow

Would love to have an Orange or Yellow car, but a little too strong for a daily driver for me.
Here's a link to a car at my dealer, perhaps the pics will be helpful...also has platinum wheels
http://www.stevinsonimports.com/new/...54f343eb8c.htm

Last edited by Hammer911; 02-24-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Add link

Quick Reply: Opinions of those who've seen Racing Yellow "in the flesh"?