Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Also drove a 991S Coupe Today.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Also drove a 991S Coupe Today.....

Called my local dealer to find they got it off the truck earlier today, went over and took it for a nice drive (back roads, traffic and highway) and I have to say Porsche did everything right in my eye... I can fully understand how some of the purists feel otherwise because coming from my Exige which i consider a very pure and basic car the 991 is definitely a luxury "touring" car i would say, getting closer to Aston in fit and finish and looks... but to me that is a good thing, especially since they dont use crappy powerplants and drivetrains like Aston does...

the car in regular mode felt like my 958 cayenne, very calm and collected and you could drive to dinner or drive to pick someone up at the airport with ease... the shifts up and down are much more crisp and the start off from a red light is far improved as the transmission does not "buffer"or "ease the clutch" but just lets the engine go right away... sport mode sharpens the shifts more and downshifts get a little more gas blip and sound amazing, the sound imposium i could not tell a difference but i tried a few times messing with it under throttle to tell...

the interior was really nice, the dash doesnt feel much "longer" to me as some say, interior feels the same but definitely more leg room and thigh room (despite the center console being high and in your face) the shifter wasn't as high as i thought it would be and im glad i went PDK....(i wanted a manual because of that high shifter feel) the buttons are not bad at all, tons of buttons but easy to understand (besides the AC controls which seemed backwards... took me forever to find what i wanted.. and this after coming out of 958 with what should be very similar controls...

the exterior looks great, the front fenders are higher and more distinct from inside and out, the rear view is the same despite the rear window being much shorter and stockier... the taillights are amazing and exhaust sounds great and very easy breathing (the 997.2 exhaust was always too muted and felt like it was being held back all the time)

the only downsides i would say is that while the backseat has more legroom, it surely has less headroom (by 2.5" if not more) i always liked the 997.2 because i could drive friends around if needed with ease (people up to 6 foot in the back) but the 991 probably tops out at 5'8" if that. more thigh room but thats really not needed unless i plan on driving fat chicks around.. the only other downside was th sunroof which only opens to one position (versus 2 on the 997 (one for wind and one for full open)..) i would have much rather had a sunroof like the 997, but i am glad i did not choose a sunroof for this vehicle as it was tiny and really unnecessary.

all in all an amazing car and definitely sold me on my choice of buying one, now i just have to play the waiting game..

quick pics, and the GT2RS they had inside for sale:

The following users liked this post:
Bud Taylor (10-24-2020)
Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

PDCC felt very surreal, adaptive engine mounts=no clue... have no real feel and cant turn off/on to check, pasm felt good... car ride was very smooth, sport and regular modes.. did not use sport plus as it's far too aggressive for any street driving...

seats are great, but i think the sport plus will be better, the 14?18? ways have far too many adjustments.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
PDCC felt very surreal, adaptive engine mounts=no clue... have no real feel and cant turn off/on to check, pasm felt good... car ride was very smooth, sport and regular modes.. did not use sport plus as it's far too aggressive for any street driving...

seats are great, but i think the sport plus will be better, the 14?18? ways have far too many adjustments.
If the dynamic engine mounts work the same as on the Turbo they are activated by turning on Sport Mode.

Nice write up. Can't wait for my turn!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
If the dynamic engine mounts work the same as on the Turbo they are activated by turning on Sport Mode.

Nice write up. Can't wait for my turn!
I don't believe you can turn DEM on and off with the sport button. On the gt3 when pressed hard they stiffen in a linear fashion. The sport button does not activate nor deactivate them. On the turbo "Sport Mode" may engage a sportier setting per say ala PASM, however, when pressed hard even with the button off DEM will still activate as it does with PASM by default design.

You are not supposed to feel their intervention.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Really nice write up ...

Did this car have the PSE or did it sound great without ?

You mentioned the sunroof with one position ... does it have a tilt/vent feature for those days in the rain when you want some fresh air or does it only just open fully ?

When you mention the position of the PDK lever do you think the Manual transmission will feel like it is in a normal position or do you think it will feel too high up ?

BTW this is the first time I am noticing the antenna bump in the rear ... must be a US Spec thing.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you sure you had the sunroof completely open? i've seen pics where the sunroof looks partially (halfway) open and others where its completely open, with the sunroof way towards the rear of the car.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I don't believe you can turn DEM on and off with the sport button. On the gt3 when pressed hard they stiffen in a linear fashion. The sport button does not activate nor deactivate them. On the turbo "Sport Mode" may engage a sportier setting per say ala PASM, however, when pressed hard even with the button off DEM will still activate as it does with PASM by default design.

You are not supposed to feel their intervention.
Yeah, I am looking through the owner's manual and I believe you are right. Sport Mode just stiffens them all the way, but like PASM they will stiffen reactively if driven hard and not in Sport Mode.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AF330i
Really nice write up ...

Did this car have the PSE or did it sound great without ?

You mentioned the sunroof with one position ... does it have a tilt/vent feature for those days in the rain when you want some fresh air or does it only just open fully ?

When you mention the position of the PDK lever do you think the Manual transmission will feel like it is in a normal position or do you think it will feel too high up ?

BTW this is the first time I am noticing the antenna bump in the rear ... must be a US Spec thing.
car had PSE and sounded good both ways, the PSE just made it louder and deeper.. but it had pops and burbles both ways..

sunroof, we messed around with for a good 5 minutes... holding button, pressing, holding longer, etc.. only goes to ONE position, (middle button allows for venting in the back)

pictures make it seem like the shifter is maybe 1" below the center of steering wheel, not as high as CGT but almost there, which made me want it BADLY.. the shifter is maybe 3-3.5" lower which is still a good 2" higher than it was before but not "way high"... the console in my 958 cayenne is much higher and "in your face" the column in the 991 is lower than the panamera and "there" but not all up on you... this also means more leg room.., the console was very thin and gave more leg room than my 997.2... more than cayenne too... really really roomy.. i drive with knee on console and i might have to change that.

yes it has xm antenna bump

Originally Posted by jjl
Are you sure you had the sunroof completely open? i've seen pics where the sunroof looks partially (halfway) open and others where its completely open, with the sunroof way towards the rear of the car.
yes, u can stop midway, i had all the way and fooled around with it extensively... it still leaves a good 6" of non opening..
Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
Yeah, I am looking through the owner's manual and I believe you are right. Sport Mode just stiffens them all the way, but like PASM they will stiffen reactively if driven hard and not in Sport Mode.
Exactly!

I know that PASM in normal adjusts to a level close to sport by default when driven hard, however,, PASM will not replicate full on sport mode in this fashion. It will firm up more than normal but not go full sport (it may when driven at the limit) without pressing sport. I once saw a graph indicating how PASM reacts in this fashion. I am curious if DEM reacts this way as well.

My .2 gt3 has them. I passed on the initial order so that I could order DEM. Early cars did not have them. I am a believer. The car hooks up and reacts better with DEM, imo.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:36 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
Called my local dealer to find they got it off the truck earlier today, went over and took it for a nice drive (back roads, traffic and highway) and I have to say Porsche did everything right in my eye... I can fully understand how some of the purists feel otherwise because coming from my Exige which i consider a very pure and basic car the 991 is definitely a luxury "touring" car i would say, getting closer to Aston in fit and finish and looks... but to me that is a good thing, especially since they dont use crappy powerplants and drivetrains like Aston does...

the car in regular mode felt like my 958 cayenne, very calm and collected and you could drive to dinner or drive to pick someone up at the airport with ease... the shifts up and down are much more crisp and the start off from a red light is far improved as the transmission does not "buffer"or "ease the clutch" but just lets the engine go right away... sport mode sharpens the shifts more and downshifts get a little more gas blip and sound amazing, the sound imposium i could not tell a difference but i tried a few times messing with it under throttle to tell...

the interior was really nice, the dash doesnt feel much "longer" to me as some say, interior feels the same but definitely more leg room and thigh room (despite the center console being high and in your face) the shifter wasn't as high as i thought it would be and im glad i went PDK....(i wanted a manual because of that high shifter feel) the buttons are not bad at all, tons of buttons but easy to understand (besides the AC controls which seemed backwards... took me forever to find what i wanted.. and this after coming out of 958 with what should be very similar controls...

the exterior looks great, the front fenders are higher and more distinct from inside and out, the rear view is the same despite the rear window being much shorter and stockier... the taillights are amazing and exhaust sounds great and very easy breathing (the 997.2 exhaust was always too muted and felt like it was being held back all the time)

the only downsides i would say is that while the backseat has more legroom, it surely has less headroom (by 2.5" if not more) i always liked the 997.2 because i could drive friends around if needed with ease (people up to 6 foot in the back) but the 991 probably tops out at 5'8" if that. more thigh room but thats really not needed unless i plan on driving fat chicks around.. the only other downside was th sunroof which only opens to one position (versus 2 on the 997 (one for wind and one for full open)..) i would have much rather had a sunroof like the 997, but i am glad i did not choose a sunroof for this vehicle as it was tiny and really unnecessary.

all in all an amazing car and definitely sold me on my choice of buying one, now i just have to play the waiting game..

quick pics, and the GT2RS they had inside for sale:

Was reading some older threads on the S, and found this. I think the pictures may have changed on this necro-thread and OP is unaware. Certainly worth sharing... Is OP still active? And in case the pics are changed again, let’s just say these are rather provocative and fun, and not out of place in the IHI thread in off-topic.
The following 2 users liked this post by fnckr:
Class5Kayaker (10-23-2020), edirtaynine (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:12 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
Was reading some older threads on the S, and found this. I think the pictures may have changed on this necro-thread and OP is unaware. Certainly worth sharing... Is OP still active? And in case the pics are changed again, let’s just say these are rather provocative and fun, and not out of place in the IHI thread in off-topic.

I saw the date of this thread and thought, "Holy old thread revival Batman!" Then I saw the pics and LMAO'd.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:47 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

i forgot what i read about once i saw the "new" photos lol
Old 10-23-2020, 04:58 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

well now!! Someone got a new girlfriend?
Old 10-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

I have to say, I like the way you have it optioned out.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:00 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Moar! Said the stable boy.

Quick Reply: Also drove a 991S Coupe Today.....