Sponsored by:

European delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
International driver's license -- is it necessary for EU countries, does anyone care?
It easy to get. I used it in '05, when I was still going at the German speed in Austria and got two tickets. Had just crossed the boarder, but didn't notice.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Insurance -- yes car is insured 2 weeks there -- but does PAG also cover from factory to the dealer in the U.S. or is this a weird situation where buyer needs to cover during shipment?
Yes, PAG covers all transit/maritime insurance all the way to your stateside dealer from moment you drop it off at the 'forwarding' agent after your ED. Remember, your car doesn't go back to the factory...it goes directly to port, sent there by the forwarding agent you returned the car to in the first place. You are given a choice of drop-off locations all over Europe. Some locations will incur additional transit charges to port, but most don't require any additional costs. At port, usually Emden, it is then put on one of the auto-transport ships that carry all other Porsches to the US or ROW markets. I have dropped off cars in Nice, Stuttgart and Munich with no issues.

Last time I did ED was in late 2006. I just carried my US license, although I have had an International License in the past. I got a speeding ticket in Germany. They were less concerned with my license than if I had the 100+ Euros in cash that I had to pay on the spot! It was a trap on the Autobahn coming from Austria that yielded countless 'victims'. They were waving them one after another to a rest stop on the side of the highway. The Polizei had even a VW Bus that served as a temporary office & cash register. Those without cash had to use a credit card and the Polizei had swiping equipment and internet verification/approval system all ready in place!

This was not the unit that stopped me...but it exists!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1276619467.jpg

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

International driver's license -- is it necessary for EU countries, does anyone care?

Insurance -- yes car is insured 2 weeks there -- but does PAG also cover from factory to the dealer in the U.S. or is this a weird situation where buyer needs to cover during shipment?
Insurance is a vague term and all the more vague once there's a claim in process. Liability is the thing you want to define for every split second. Porsche is liable for the car as part of their service and their product in the process of sale to you. The shipping/freight operator is liable for their part and that is a contract with Porsche, not you.

If your net worth affords the luxury of a new Porsche, you should have an insurance broker (not an agent of a carrier) working on your behalf to be sure you have an umbrella policy in effect wherever you are in the world and keep them informed of your travels.

It's rather like being in a bank during an armed hold-up -- your first reaction should be to push everything back over the counter to the teller and loudly, clearly say "this is a deposit to my account" then turn to the gunman and say "shoot me in the the knee, please ..."
Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
CBad308
Advanced

great information. I want to do ED on a GT3rs
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes all good info. Thx. Will for sure check on any international limitations on current umbrella.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i spoke with jamie @ European Delivery <European.Delivery@porsche.us>

he was very helpful with the details...
Just got off the phone with Jamie who was indeed very helpful with details. But, Jamie is not a "he"

I'll post the details of my build as available. Shooting for a late June delivery of a 2013 C2S.

Spyder
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
katmai
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spyder,

What build date would that be? Also would that be a 13' or 12'?

I'm thinking of a mid-late June pickup as well...
Old 03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by katmai
Spyder,

What build date would that be? Also would that be a 13' or 12'?

I'm thinking of a mid-late June pickup as well...
I've specified that the car must be a 2013. Production starts in June, but whether your particular car can be built during that month depends on your dealer's allocation schedule, ie, if the dealer has been assigned a slot for June, and he devotes that slot to your build, then it'll happen. At least that's my understanding after talking with Jamie this morning, and closing the loop with my salesman.

BTW, Jamie thinks it unlikely that there will be any significant changes for 2013, eg, colors, packages, options, etc...and pricing. In any case, the 2013 price/option sheet should be available in a couple of weeks.

Spyder
Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any pickups in June would be a '12. Big difference in resale value between 12 and 13. Better to get a '13 after the factory reopens in September. If you can wait, September is one of the best times to be in Europe. A lot of the tourists are going home and the locals are back from vacation.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Any pickups in June would be a '12. Big difference in resale value between 12 and 13. Better to get a '13 after the factory reopens in September. If you can wait, September is one of the best times to be in Europe. A lot of the tourists are going home and the locals are back from vacation.
Direct quote from the head of Euro delivery this morning is that 2013 builds start in June. The rest I agree with, and would certainly wait until the factory reopens--exact date is 18 Aug--if that's what it took to get a 2013.

Spyder
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I am new to the forum but an experience European Delivery customer with BMW, I have done one each year since 2006. Now I am looking to jump to the other side with a 2014 991S.

Regarding the front plate bumper holes it's nonsense, BMW has been using heavy duty double sided strips on their front plates for years now. Also, the front plates for BMW cars are longer than the ones on P cars. I can't see why Porsche is not using the same method.

The winter tires rental at no charge is a nice offer, those saving would cover my beer consumption. I usually do my EDs in October-November and I have never had any issues with snow on the highways, even in the mountains.

My only concern now is luggage space for two full suitcases and one carry-on with camera equipment. I still don't know how you guys do it.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:48 AM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q: Insurance in Europe

I'm planning to pick up my car in Germany, and have my brother come taking it for a road trip up through Europe. At this point two issues is staring at me.

1) Will my brother be allowed (legally) to drive my car? If not, can I augment the 16day insurance to include him?
2) Do I need an international driver license to drive through Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway?

If you have any experience feel free to share
Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugo Gunnarsen
I'm planning to pick up my car in Germany, and have my brother come taking it for a road trip up through Europe. At this point two issues is staring at me.

1) Will my brother be allowed (legally) to drive my car? If not, can I augment the 16day insurance to include him?
2) Do I need an international driver license to drive through Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway?

Technically you do need an IDP, as countries can fine you for not having a licence with their language on it; however, many listers seem to have had no problems without one when stopped for speeding (at least in Germany and Austria).
The AAA in the US, the AA in the UK, and the CAA in Canada all recommend it; it is cheap, it was quick at the BCAA branch I went to (out with IDP in hand in 25 min). It is good for one year from date of issue.

I cannot help you with your Q1, but will be interested in the answer - perhaps some Euro Delivery-experienced people could answer.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugo Gunnarsen
Make sure you get and learn a PIN for your credit card. We're behind the times in the US for credit cards and you'll need a PIN to use your card at gas pumps. (Something I learned the hard way late at night somewhere in rural Sweden.)
Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dup

Quick Reply: European delivery