Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

and then slam dunk......
Old 02-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
1). Well if the transmission is not the problem, then the new one will fail again. At that point, he ends up getting very close to lemon law. Repeated failures of this type are obviously a different story than a one off incident.

2). Car breaks on the dealer lot...it gets fixed. Why would that need to be disclosed? I don't think porsche even matches serial numbers to bodies anymore anyways. You might in fact poop yourself if you knew how often cars had damaged paint on bumpers from shipment and have some pieces repainted on the dock. you get no disclosure of this either.

3) Yes I would be perfectly fine with a transmission being replaced. Its not like it was replaced by AAMCO. It was replaced with a brand new unit from the factory.

4) Resale value? Jesus christ. I think you need to relax. You must be one of these owners who leaves the thing the garage except when its 75 degrees, 20% humidty, no chance of rain or mist, etc. Anybody with even a moderate understanding of manufactured objects would realize that **** HAPPENS.

5) The company is replacing his transmission, as per his new car warranty. Hell give him a free track day or something. New car or extended warranty..not a chance.
Yes.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
+1

When I was younger I use to think a little anger would get my point accross better. In my mature years I've learned an amazing trick-- especially when complaining over the phone-- that the nicer you are, the better the result. I feel (almost) guilty for what I have received/been compensated for little, but legitimate, concerns. The last was a brand new whole bumper from VW for our family Touareg. No kidding here...
I hear ya and am on my way to a similar disposition, however.... although I am humbled by the promise of it's coming... i am not ready for this wisdom yet

Nope, presently i'm still of the mind that when people are about to do something which they know is wrong they have the habit of saying "oh he's a nice guy, don't worry he won't mind" or "what's he going to do about it?..."
As opposed to "I would really re-consider doing that with this guy" or "just give him what he wants, trust me you do not want to pick a fight with him".

I believe that pride has left the work place and in the case of most P. dealers has been replaced with arrogance and complacency... seems this dealer is an anomaly.

It sounds like they're doing everything they can to rectify this situation and do good by the OP.
In the end he has to decide for himself if he'll be happy with a new transmission installed by a dealer which has an invested interest and put it behind him or if he's so demoralized by this experience he wants nothing to do with this car and get his $$ back or... wait 6 months for a new one.

Reading some of the other posts and cavalier attitudes I can only say that everything is relative... until it happens to you.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

I think some of the people have actually spoken from their experiences and are trying to give their best advice.......

Last edited by abiazis; 10-08-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should demand a new car, this is a no-brainer. Total transmission failure rendering the car immobile within the first 2 miles of ownership on a $100k car? i don't understand how some on this board are so willing to give Porsche a break on something like this, if that isn't a lemon i don't know what is. You worked hard for your money, and your ownership experience would be forever compromised knowing you had a transmission re-build on day 1. I know it would be for me. I truly wish you good luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Gj325
Pro

My Turbo S Cab had a similar failure at 1900 miles Porsche did the same thing for me overnighted a Brand New PDK Transmission in car was down five days. I had yet to try the launch mode now I have 4600 miles no problems. Dealer told me that they are not allowed to work on the PDK if software fixes it that is fine but if software doesn't work new unit is the only option. Worked for me but my worry was and still is how much more my car will depreciate over a car with factory Pdk ?? My other concern I was told that in four years when warranty goes out if the same thing happens it will mean a new unit swap only bill I signed said this was a 16k repair But in the end it is a mech device and they all will fail overtime.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you were buying a used 991, would you EVER buy one that had a PDK replacement after 2 miles? i wouldn't, at least not without a steep discount.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:11 PM
19_hole
Racer

This car did not have the transmission rebuilt, it was replaced with a factory new unit. Don't see the problem here, it is a new part.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by 19_hole
This car did not have the transmission rebuilt, it was replaced with a factory new unit. Don't see the problem here, it is a new part.
That was my final thought when it happened to me plus since I plan on keeping the car for many years. I thought what are the odds I get another failure. The funny thing was 1900 miles on the original Pdk not one issue every till the red warning light just came up. Stop car restarted ran fine but after that light came up twice on 35 mile drive to dealer the reflashed software and then light wouldn't go off. My dealer said it was the only PDK that had had any issues and Porsche didn't hesitate sent Brand New unit fed ex but for $185 k car I sure wish it had not ever happened but they took care of it legally don't think I could do anything but say thanks just glad I don't plan on selling soon.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM
MOM3NTM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's home

Larry Reynolds from Champion dropped the car off tonight and so far so good. Larry drove the car the hour up to me to drop it off as I wanted somebody from Porsche to give it an extended test drive to make sure I wasn't the one getting stuck it if died again. After Larry left in my loaner, I took her out for a test run and everything seemed well sorted. Shifting was spot on and everything felt as it should. Took the family out for ice cream and car continued to run well. Everybody enjoyed the ride and my daughters new Porsche car seat fit the car and her great. She is 6 fit well back there, not one complaint about being squished. Larry installed the clear side markers and a set of white LED's to go with it. Looks much better with the white markers.

Champion forwarded my request for an extended warranty to Porsche NA and we will see what they come back with. Hopefully they will step up and go the extra mile to impress a new customer and secure a future one. My thanks to Champion and Larry Reynolds for handling this in a professional manner. They stepped up and got the car repaired in a much faster time frame than I thought possible. It gives me piece of mind that the master tech who did the tranny swap worked with Champions race team. Of all dealerships to do this work I would think Champion among the better equipped. My thanks also goes out to Porsche NA for having a PDK transmission sitting in Atlanta and then overnighting it to Florida. The expeditious response helps blunt the pain of the tranny failure. So, thank you to Porsche. Porsche NA, I think you should send a thank you to Larry as he handled the customer in a very positive and caring way. You would have had a much more irate client if I didn't feel that my concerns were being addressed.

It has been really interesting to me the range of opinions on the forums regarding this issue. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I was happy to hear them. My thanks to everybody who chimed in, I picked up some useful info. I will update everybody with what Porsche NA comes back with regarding the warranty extension.

Now I need to get to work getting through the break in miles so I can fully enjoy this spectacular ride. There are some minor cosmetic things I have planned so will post pictures of that as I work my way through them.

A few quick impressions of the car.
Wonderful drive. Chassis feels very well sorted. Suspension very compliant for a sports car yet tons of grip and corners way flat (I have PDCC). Steering is very nicely weighted. Sport PASM with drop rides great, at least in south Florida and looks really sharp. Burmeister is ridiculous. Sounds stunning. Sounds much richer than the Burmeister in my friends Cayenne. Agate grey is a wonderful exterior color. Really rich and love the rims. The inner dark grey perfectly matches the agate. Two tone agate/stone interior is beautiful. I really like it even though I know the stone armrests are going to drive me beyond nuts trying to keep clean. The contrasting stone top stitch on the Agate dash/doors looks great. I don't think this a very practical interior color except for the most fastidious neat freaks. I haven't seen it but the full Agate interior is likely a really nice option as well. Those are my thoughts after 3 hours with the car.

Last edited by MOM3NTM; 03-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Glad to hear it's all sorted out.
I'm sure you'll forget about this whole affair once you get to enjoy that beauty more.

Congrats!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

She's beautiful! and so is your car...

Seriously, you're a ballsy guy to get that light interior, but without doubt it's stunning. It will also serve you better in the FL sun/heat, but with my history, I've got no choice but to stick with darker colored interiors.

Your stealthy look is great, but I'm partial to the traditional, gold colored Porsche crest wheel centers, as they add a touch of color, but that's just me. Probably the cheapest Porsche exterior upgrade to be had, save for the clear side markers. BTW, aren't those standard on the 991?

Drive the hell out of it and enjoy it--
Old 03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Nav991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MOM3NTM, congrats on getting the car back. It must have been nice to get a chance to "feel" the car out; especially after the delivery day debacle.

Kudos on the Agate with the 20" Carrera Classic wheels. They go really well, and my build has the same setup.
But, like docfink said, the colored crests on the wheels give some continuity with the hood crest. A small detail...

Congrats again.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mom3ntm, great that the new Carrera is up and running!

Could you share your build options?

It looks like you ordered ventilated seats, could we see more pics?

Quick Reply: “Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK