Sponsored by:

Really?? PDK vs Manual??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hats off to Porsche
Not only is a mannny tranny still an option, but its new and (hopefully) improved
I love the idea of a closer ratio'd six gears and a fuel sipping extreme overdrive; sad to see its not in the new boxster

Last edited by pedsurg; 03-20-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:28 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

i disagree vehemently...PDK gen II is way more fun than a manual tranny. the sound alone on the downshifts is worthwhile.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Default Smoothe or Rough PDK Character

In another post in this thread, I commented on how clunky the PDK was when in auto and sport +, when the car downshifts from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. I drove my 991S around town yesterday and found something out. If you have it in manual and sport +, that clunk is gone.

Here is what I found out. When driving in manual and sport +, the car downshifts on its own when coming to a stop just like when in auto mode, but the downshift from 2nd to 1st happens at about 600 or 800 rpms and is very smoothe. When you have it in auto and sport +, the downshift from 2nd to 1st happens at 1,200 or 1,400 rpms and is very clunky by comparison. I forgot to put it in auto and normal mode to see how it downshifts from 2nd to 1st.

I find this very interesting, that Porsche designed the shift software so differently for how the car shifts in auto or manual mode from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. That is something I hope Porsche fixes for future 991s.

Anyway, if you want to drive your car around town in Sport + without the clunky downshift from 2nd to 1st every time you come to a red light or stop sign, you might want to try putting it in manual and drive the car with the paddles or push buttons. That's what I did yesterday and it was a joy.

And what was a blast was coming into an intersection to make a turn with a green light, downshifting to 1st just before the turn, and exploding out of it.

I really like my 991S. The sun came out in Los Angeles yesterday after several days of rain. There was snow on the mountains, clear skies, and it was about 55 degrees where I live. I had the sunroof open, windows down, heater on, stereo pumping and driving on some great roads having fun with the car in manual and sport +. Only thing left to do is get PSE so it is even louder when I want it to be.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM
WCE
User

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts

Ummm...manual mode is just that - car will only shift when you tell it to or it's about to stall, hence the idle speed downshift!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by lone wolf
i disagree vehemently...PDK gen II is way more fun than a manual tranny. the sound alone on the downshifts is worthwhile.
you can make the same sound with a manual by using your right foot.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
you can make the same sound with a manual by using your right foot.
Yup but these people are used to machines doing everything for them and lack skill.

PDK is absolutely boring.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Yup but these people are used to machines doing everything for them and lack skill.

PDK is absolutely boring.
Constant waxing on about how skilled one has to be to drive a manual is absolutely boring. It ain't rocket science.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Storm Trooper
Anyway, if you want to drive your car around town in Sport + without the clunky downshift from 2nd to 1st every time you come to a red light or stop sign, you might want to try putting it in manual and drive the car with the paddles or push buttons. That's what I did yesterday and it was a joy.

:
How would you drive around town in sport plus and auto? That would mean changing gears at redline all the time. The PDK "clunk" as you describe will not go away in auto and sport or sport plus. Its designed that way on purpose, to pick a lower gear, so the car is ready when you want to get on it (track or aggresive driving). If you want no clunk, you have two choices - manual and any mode or auto plus normal.

This thread is hilarious - pick what you want. To denigrate one or the other is meaningless. PDK is not boring to me, especially after 3 other manual 911's. By the way i learnt how to drive a manual at 14 years old and got pretty good at it over the years.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Really? You are going to classify everyone with a PDK as lacking skill? Just think about that for a second. Does it really make sense?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rushman71
Another one of these threads? The manual transmission is dead and as one magazine writer professed, "the only people still whining about it are old men in Hawaiian shirts." There is NOTHING engaging about a manual transmission. You are simply selecting a gear. As a percentage of what goes into hustling a car precisely down a road or around a racetrack, it's 1% if that. If you think shifting gears is this hard engaging experience, yes even with using the heel/toe technique, you probably shouldn't be trying to drive a car quickly anyway.

Time marches on. Keep up or get left behind.
I kept thinking about this quote recently as it is so damn funny. The quote was actually from Jonny Lieberman at Mototrtrend in their comparison of the 991 to a C6 Vette and it was made in reference to the steering feel of the 991.

"If you're complaining about the loss of feel with the new Porsche, you've officially joined the ranks of old dudes in Hawaiian shirts sitting around on beer coolers bitching about fuel injection."

Motortrend article

However, I think it applies equally to the PDK vs. Manual debate.

(No offense to Hawaiian shirt wearing old dudes intended.)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

On behalf of all of us "old dudes in Hawaiian shirts" - I ordered my 991 with a stick shift becasue I am so old that I didn't know that you could get a Porsche with an Auotmatic Transmission. Do they put the gear lever on the steering column? What is the world coming to? I'll bet that soon they will offer power windows.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I love the excuses people come up with. There is nothing fun about pressing a lever to switch gears or hearing an engine labor waiting for the gear lever to be pressed while on a casual drive down the street. There really is no point to putting it in manual mode and where is there any fun at all in just driving with nothing to do except fiddle on you phones and ipads while drinking a latte.
I can see why people who get paid to drive fast use it. It eliminates human error and every possible tenth could be the difference between winning or losing. They are not using it because it’s fun, their using it because it’s easier and it has an advantage.

You could drive manual your whole life and never need to learn or execute heel and toe or blipping while down shifting to drive the car and can be boring if you want to.

It takes skill and practice to do it with speed and perfection. I hear people who can't do stuff as good as others make excuses as why it’s no good, fun and dated.

I love rolling into a red light anticipating when it goes green while manipulating the throttle and just dropping the clutch in first gear as the car tears off wheels spinning until they get grip. You can't do that with PDK.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

I love the excuses people come up with.
Which excuses are you referring to?

There is nothing fun about pressing a lever to switch gears .
Hmmm... Isn't that exactly how a gear lever in a manual transmission is used?

There really is no point to putting it in manual mode
From that I can tell that you really haven't driven a PDK for much time and don't know all that it can do.

where is there any fun at all in just driving with nothing to do except fiddle on you phones and ipads while drinking a latte.
Stereotype much? Talk about reinforcing the moldy fig image.

I can see why people who get paid to drive fast use it. It eliminates human error and every possible tenth could be the difference between winning or losing. They are not using it because it’s fun, their using it because it’s easier and it has an advantage.
If you're looking for the best manual shift action, you can do a lot better than a 991 or even most other Porsches. Try a Miata or an S2000. They're not as fast, but apparently that isn't as important to you.

You could drive manual your whole life and never need to learn or execute heel and toe or blipping while down shifting to drive the car and can be boring if you want to.
ahhhh, now you are separating the regular manual car drivers from those who really know how to drive a manual

It takes skill and practice to do it with speed and perfection. I hear people who can't do stuff as good as others make excuses as why it’s no good, fun and dated.
But, of course you are able to do this better than most, ergo, you are a driving god! Obviously a better driver than anyone with a PDK! That's what you are really trying to say, right?

I am sure that hand cranking a car to start had a degree of skill associated with it. Of course, the reason people started buying cars with starter motors is because they were so ashamed of their relative lack of skill in cranking. It had nothing to do with there being a better technology available.

I love rolling into a red light anticipating when it goes green while manipulating the throttle and just dropping the clutch in first gear as the car tears off wheels spinning until they get grip. You can't do that with PDK.
You can go one better - Launch control. No need to shred your tires and clutch and you will be faster than a manual launch. You prefer the smell of a burnt clutch? Fair enough, but that's not the same thing.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
I am sure that hand cranking a car to start had a degree of skill associated with it. Of course, the reason people started buying cars with starter motors is because they were so ashamed of their relative lack of skill in cranking.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:27 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Launch control does not work when your rolling.

Don't take it to hard, I know the truth hurts.

Quick Reply: Really?? PDK vs Manual??