Sponsored by:

Really?? PDK vs Manual??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
This thread was sort of careening downhill and hit rock bottom with the suggestion that Porsche should go backwards, drop the dual clutch, and return to sequential even as their competitors, Aston Martin, BMW and Ferrari, are just now emerging from the pain of sequentials (SMG and F1 anyone? No? Anyone?) and are now enjoying success (and satisfied customers) with their dual clutch options

Why is it that the "pry the stick from my cold dead hands!" crowd seem to have so much ego, anger and bitterness wrapped up in it? It's like a religious or political debate this tired topic, and that makes no sense.

There is no one on a hard core enthusiast sports car forum that hasn't owned and enjoyed a manual trans car in the past! If you want a manual, keep buying one. Is it some fear that if too many folks go dual clutch there won't be any around? If so, sorry, not my problem. I, like most consumers, don't adjust what I want to spend my money on based on how I think it might impact the market for what someone else wants to spend their money on.

There have been millions of manuals made. The old ones will be around forever even if manufacturers do ultimately cease production of new ones.
That was very well stated, makes a great deal of sense, and is therefore totally irrelevant in the context of this discussion.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this was an interesting read. And again what it all boils down to is personal choice. If you want to buy MT then do so. If it brings you great joy good. It should it is your money. If the PDK is what you want then buy the PDK. It can be and is fun for lots of people who have commented here. And again it is your money.

We are the smaller percentage of owners. There are plenty of owners that are not car crazy / as passionate as we may be. They may like Porsche for it's build quality etc. And that is fine too. And for them they want a transmission they can put in auto mode and just drive and again that is their choice and their money.

Personally I hope Porsche keeps the MT forever. I think it is nice to have a choice. I wish Ferrari had down that. Even if the MT would be an ordered option. Ferrari's polished gated shifter MT was part of the marque, at least for me. Has it hurt Ferrari sales to drop it? No. Does it mean if you want a new Ferrari you won't buy one? No.

I think instead of fighting about which is better and dividing us into MT drivers and PDK drivers. Let's rather embrace the fact that we as Porsche buyers have a choice. For neither is going to win this argument.

I have owned numerous Mts and I love driving Mts, but that is not to say I do not appreciate the PDK. I have driven both a 997 and 991 with PDK and it is brilliant. I see the fun in having it and the reason for it. I appreciate the technology. When I go to buy my next 911 it will be a difficult choice for me.

My humble two cents.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Really?? PDK vs Manual??