991 - child/infant seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
The rears seat bottom cushions are velcro, too, and area below is carpeted. They are of course attached to the center piece, but if that is not impossible to remove somehow, then the seats will follow w/o issue. Sorry, not very helpful info.

Keep hoping that someone clever/brave will figure out how to remove the center piece and see if transmission tunnel is carpeted, too.
My cleverness extends only so far as to price the various parts that would have to be cut to remove one side of the rear seat and leave the armrest looking intact. : ) If that's $200 to get the seat secure and low enough to protect the kid in a serious accident (no need to protect against non-serious accidents) then so be it.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wiley Hodges
I can second a recommendation I saw elsewhere in the forums for a Cosco booster from Target. It's not elegant or made with the most advanced technology, but it fits in the rear seat of my 991 Cab like it was made for it. For $11 at Target...

http://www.target.com/p/Cosco-No-Bac...k/-/A-13999429
The boost base like that makes sense if the child is too small for the lap belt buckle is too high to make lap section of the belt hold down on their hips (definitely a bad idea to cinch a lap belt across the belly/torso ... not fun being a six year-old with no intestines.) But keep in mind this offers zero head and neck support or side-impact absorption. This means you're taking precautions only for non-serious accidents (fender bender, maybe a bit a of shunt, but nothing life-threatening.)

I can only suggest that's it's necessary to rig a rear seat that protects against serious trouble -- a T bone side impact at a typical intersection being the biggest fear, but also an offset frontal impact that tends to causing rotating "knockout" head and neck injuries as well as propel the two rear occupants towards each other and I'm not wanting to soak my kids' brains out of the carpet with a sponge once they clunk their noggins together at 100 mph+ incidental impact speeds. I want some sort of "halo" seat design.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The Recaro Pro Booster fits, but is too tall, so the base seat cushion has to come out for taller kids. Works for a six year-old. Nice and heavy and sturdy.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The Britax Parkway SGL does not fit (too wide in the base, list the Clek ... sturdy looking seat, but too wide.)
Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I can second a recommendation I saw elsewhere in the forums for a Cosco booster from Target. It's not elegant or made with the most advanced technology, but it fits in the rear seat of my 991 Cab like it was made for it. For $11 at Target...

The other thing I do with the Booster seats is use a retrofit fit LATCH strap, such as this SuperLATCH.

http://ca.diono.com/replacement-part...h-lower-anchor

The basic idea is to use the retrofit LATCH strap to cinch the base down till it's snug and held in place ... this will reduce movement during the trip, prevent the child from leaning the whole seat over and generally take the booster itself out of the event as a projectile in the cabin. Depending upon angles and so on, the belt of the latch strap can sit at an uncomfortable angle and will require some fiddling around to make it sit flat in a way that doesn't prevent the child from sitting fully back into the seat.

Some base-only boosters have the LATCH lower anchors, but I've not see one that fits.

If you Google SuperLATCH, you'll find reports of it being possible to loosen the LATCH at the buckle (if incorrectly installed or left accessible to an infant, especially if they climb in and stand on it.) I don't see it as an issue (worse case, put a zip-tie on it) but worth mentioning.

Shopping

You can see the "SuperLATCH" (below, left) is rather more beefy than a normal LATCH mechanism.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
I currently have Recaros in 3 different cars for my son, but i doubt they will fit in the back of the 991. They are massive.

For a trip to Europe this summer i just ordered a Cosco Scenera. It is widely lauded as the best travel car seat due to its relatively modest dimensions and weight. My hope is that it will also slot into the 991.
The Scenera fits in my new 991 cab, though i can't see us using it much. It is tight back there even for my toddler.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 AM
notdrooler
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthony4579
I have the Bubble Bum as well and it is a really convenient for test drives (why not share the fun of test driving the 991 with the little ones)! I found on my test drive yesterday that the regular booster I have did not fit in the back so I was lucky I had the Bubble Bum with me or we would have been done before we started. But i have a question that will expand the child seat discussion a bit, how does everyone feel about letting a child ride in the front seat (I have a 6 year old and two 3 year olds)? I would need to be able to take all of the kid's sometimes so I would need to put the oldest in the front. The salesman is checking to see if there is still the key to turnoff the passenger airbags like in the 997. Obviously very interested in the discussion about the seats to use in the rear as well.
Just took delivery of my C2S this week and it's very obvious that Porsche a) cautions against having a kid up front but b) has an "intelligent" airbag sensor in the passenger seat bottom and backrest that senses weight and height of whatever is in the seat and disables the airbag accordingly. So it should be safe to have 3 kids in proper restraints in the car, 2 in the back, one in front.

One other point about the Bubble Bum: they come with a little belt-positioning strap that is very useful. It keeps the belt perfectly positioned for all of my kids.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 AM
PocoLoco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of interest, does the passenger deactivation switch come standard with the US spec 991?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
notdrooler
AutoX

Originally Posted by PocoLoco
Out of interest, does the passenger deactivation switch come standard with the US spec 991?
It came with mine and I wouldn't think that it comes with any of the packages (Sports Plus, Premium whatever, ...). It should be part of the base car. But I'm sure your dealer knows more.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
mcsha
5th Gear

I posted this on another forum, but in case here's a pictures of how this booster seat fits in the back of 991.
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
roup1
Advanced

The back seats on the 991 seem wider than the 997. I had to resort to the Harmony "Cruz" Booster from Target ($17) for my 997 cab. It was the only one that I found that would fit without any mods.
Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
tackdriver
6th Gear

In my Audi I use the Sunshine Kids booster seat, which looks like it will fit nicely in the 991. Our car is still in transit from Germany, so it will be interesting to see how a pair of 4 yr old twins fit in the back with boosters.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:10 PM
blktaln
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcsha
I posted this on another forum, but in case here's a pictures of how this booster seat fits in the back of 991.
Looks like it fits well... Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm sold.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsha
That's what I use for my smallest (age 6). I often wonder if it is safer than not using it as it puts his head higher than the back of the seat. Guess it positions the belts better.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

the Diono RXT fits in the back of my 991

Quick Reply: 991 - child/infant seats