Sponsored by:

997 owners who now have their 991

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The PDK 997.2 has hill-start (uphill) and the 991 PDK has "assist" uphill in "D" or facing downhill in "R" ... quite impressive. I read there's meant to be a way that the 991 will automatically release the parking brake, so I fiddled with it, but couldn't get it to disengage automatically, I think it's more a case of "if you're dumb enough to overpower the parking brake and accelerate above "x" mph, the car will release the parking brake rather than be damaged. I guess I need to RFTM again (not much in there.)
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The PDK 997.2 has hill-start (uphill) and the 991 PDK has "assist" uphill in "D" or facing downhill in "R" ... quite impressive.
I must not have had enough coffee this morning, but I don't see why a car without a clutch pedal would need such technology...unless perhaps for a driver who is an amputee.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

You don't really need it in a manual car either if you are used to driving one. The F-1 in my 599 will roll back. It's not a problem. My guess is that alot of potential buyers would equate a PDK as an automatic transmission.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
I must not have had enough coffee this morning, but I don't see why a car without a clutch pedal would need such technology...unless perhaps for a driver who is an amputee.
Having driven in the USA since the early 90's and live here over 10 years, there's no question in my mind that the average US driver cannot chew gum and walk at the same time. These are mouth-breathers. Their lips move when they read the menu at the "all you can eat" feeding troughs that pass as restaurants. Hot coffee is not safe and demands the informational warning "contents may be hot and cause severe burns" printed in large, stern letters. Drivers cannot be trusted with the brakes, the steering or these days, even the parking brake is too much autonomy for a typical driver. They can't avoid bumping into things without lane-departure warnings, back-up and (front) bumper sensors and cameras, warning that swerving an SUV can cause a roll-over and still they drive with four to six cup-holders in reach of the driver and need "laws" to convince them to not yack on the phone or text their BFF about their most instantaneous and unfiltered emotions or even the dim blink of a single synapse to be reported in 140 characters or less. They tailgate, they change lanes without indicating (let alone looking) they find motorcycles to be stealth-cloaked and a motorcyclist is nothing more than a gap in the traffic. Yes, they need help with every trivial aspect of their existence -- it is the on-going mistake of western society to protect these Darwinian statistical errors from their timely extinction.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Having driven in the USA since the early 90's and live here over 10 years, there's no question in my mind that the average US driver cannot chew gum and walk at the same time. These are mouth-breathers. Their lips move when they read the menu at the "all you can eat" feeding troughs that pass as restaurants. Hot coffee is not safe and demands the informational warning "contents may be hot and cause severe burns" printed in large, stern letters. Drivers cannot be trusted with the brakes, the steering or these days, even the parking brake is too much autonomy for a typical driver. They can't avoid bumping into things without lane-departure warnings, back-up and (front) bumper sensors and cameras, warning that swerving an SUV can cause a roll-over and still they drive with four to six cup-holders in reach of the driver and need "laws" to convince them to not yack on the phone or text their BFF about their most instantaneous and unfiltered emotions or even the dim blink of a single synapse to be reported in 140 characters or less. They tailgate, they change lanes without indicating (let alone looking) they find motorcycles to be stealth-cloaked and a motorcyclist is nothing more than a gap in the traffic. Yes, they need help with every trivial aspect of their existence -- it is the on-going mistake of western society to protect these Darwinian statistical errors from their timely extinction.
How do you really feel?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I exspect to see someone do something really stupid everyday in traffic. I am almost never disappointed.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Mods: Is this too long to fit in my signature?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM
PanchoV
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by exc911ence
Mods: Is this too long to fit in my signature?
Awesome!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2012 GTS weights over 4000 pounds. It will indeed roll backwards on a hill, just as will a car with a manual transmission, if the clutches are disengaged at a stop and I have not employed hill assist. In my last Porsche, a manual transmission, it was a trick to work the accel and the clutch to avoid roll back in San Francisco. I very much appreciate the hill assist function, given there is not a clutch pedal, in this city.

Palm beach has sand dunes...not hills....and a Carrera GT would not stand a chance of getting anywhere in this city!!!!!!!!!!!! You "ladies" come here and prove you're clutch men!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

One thing U.S. drivers are much better at than Euro drivers is using the shoulder if breaking space is too short in a sudden slowdown. I had never seen that in Europe in the first 25 years of my life. Decade and a half here has me appreciating that route rather than a pileup.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You forgot to mention automatic parallel parking
Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
You forgot to mention automatic parallel parking
I didn't want to rant.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by LewisB
My 2012 GTS weights over 4000 pounds. It will indeed roll backwards on a hill, just as will a car with a manual transmission, if the clutches are disengaged at a stop and I have not employed hill assist.
I didn't realise that about PDK. As long as it has an automatic mode, that's the way I'd always drive it.

In my last Porsche, a manual transmission, it was a trick to work the accel and the clutch to avoid roll back in San Francisco.
Palm beach has sand dunes...not hills....and a Carrera GT would not stand a chance of getting anywhere in this city!!!!!!!!!!!! You "ladies" come here and prove you're clutch men!!!!!!!!!
If you drive in San Francisco (or anywhere hilly) by slipping the clutch on uphill stops, you really oughtn't be calling other blokes "ladies" and banging-on as though you know how to drive a car Using a proper handbrake to start on a hill is child's play, not to mention significantly less wear-and-tear on the clutch. (Using the handbrake to do quick 180s is a bit more of a learnt skill )

BTW, a foot-operated parking brake can be employed on uphill starts, it's just not as smooth because you can't release it gradually.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I mastered the handbrake allright. The Toyota Prius drivers who obliviously pull to within inches of the rear of a Porsche stopped on a hill in this City prove that the proper use of the handbrake is a must.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:50 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worried about their extinction, just me being invited to join them...

Quick Reply: 997 owners who now have their 991