Sponsored by:

Boxster S vs Base 991 cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster S vs Base 991 cab

When I began shopping for my soon to be delivered 991 Carrera S Cabriolet I also looked at the New Boxster S. At the time I was also looking at the base 991 cab.. The thing that struck me was how close in performance these two cars were, yet the 911 base cost $30K more. Beyond the unusable back seat why is there such a big price difference?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how does the Boxster drive?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Never drove the Boxster S. Based on reviewers like Chris Harris - evo who has driven both and clearly knows how to drive these cars. I don't. Hoping to learn.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy
When I began shopping for my soon to be delivered 991 Carrera S Cabriolet I also looked at the New Boxster S. At the time I was also looking at the base 991 cab.. The thing that struck me was how close in performance these two cars were, yet the 911 base cost $30K more. Beyond the unusable back seat why is there such a big price difference?
The 911 is Porsche's cash cow (one of 'em). If the Boxster had 911 power, there would be very few 911's selling. Porsche will never let that happen.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The thing that struck me was how close in performance these two cars were, yet the 911 base cost $30K more. Beyond the unusable back seat why is there such a big price difference?
In addition to similar performance, if you look at the configurator, the two are also similarly equipped. I think the 991 is "more car" but the 911 gestalt aside, $30K is a lot of difference and it's hard to justify, IMO. Hard to say whether the Boxster is underpriced or the 991 base Cab overpriced.

Originally Posted by kosmo
how does the Boxster drive?
I can't speak to the new one which is apparently improved but my '07 Boxster S drove really nicely with responsive, precise handling and plenty of power. With the mid engine, it is better balanced than the 911; I actually think one of Porsche's goals in dialing out some of the weight-in-the-tail feeling with the 991 was to more closely mimic that same mid-engine balance with the 911 platform. Anyway, I sold it to buy my 997.2 S. The Boxster was a compromise vehicle between me and my wife after selling my 996 and that experiment didn't work out. Also, I found out I'm not a roadster person (it was my first one), the Carrera S does have a significant power advantage, and I really prefer the 911's looks. But the Boxster was a very nice car.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Beyond the unusable back seat why is there such a big price difference?
After you figure that out, try to wrap your head around why the 911 Cabrio is priced higher than the coupe, while the Cayman is priced higher than the Boxster.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll chime in but first admit I'm hardly an expert as I don't (yet) own a Porsche. I test drove a Boxster S a few years ago and found it to be the most unbelievably balanced, responsive car I had ever driven in my life. I was absolutely blown away by it's balance and responsiveness. I felt it was as if it just did what I was thinking. I also remember thinking it was perfectly linear.

I ended up buying the C6 Vette in my avatar b/c I was really trying to maintain an American garage, and I loved the sound and the torque. But even then I realized the Porsche was a superior performance car. I have still yet to own or test drive a car that made me feel that way again. I have even driven a neighbor's F430 and a V12 Aston Martin, but still remember that Boxster as outstanding.

I'm looking for a 911 b/c of the admittedly vestigial rear seat, which will help me carry my very small 8 and 10 year olds around without needing a 3rd car. I also like the size and looks of the 911 better, especially as compared with the new Boxster. However, I can't shake that test drive out of my mind.

Last edited by cmb13; 05-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Fabolous
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really loved driving the old boxster in a test drive but couldnt bring myself to own that car. The new one however I can totally see myself in. I am looking at a base cab 991, but for fun loaded up a new boxster S and the price diff was really only 12k.

I cant see owning an almost 100k boxster
Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i configured a new Boxster S on the website. I came in at $92,000!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Since I already owned a 2004 Boxster S, I added a 2006 C2S Cab about 1 1/2 years ago so I would have both cars. I disliked the handling and feel of the 2006 C2S so much that I traded it in on a new 2012 Black Edition Boxster S.

I just love the toss-ability of the car. I also like the looks of the Boxster S over the C2S Cab.

That being said, if I didn't want a cabriolet, I'd probably go for 911 coupe but probably a 993 or maybe earlier. Having owned a 1980 911SC, I found the newer 911's just too big (too long) and not as sporty feeling.

I think the 911 coupe (any year, new or old) is the most beautiful car of ALL! The cabriolet breaks up that beautiful roof line.

Of course, I've never driven a GT3 so that may be the best of all. I plan on driving one before ever buying another Porsche.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing 911's. They are great! But if you compare the handling to a Boxster S, there's no comparison.

I've also not driven the new 991 so keep that in mind too.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

OP, your point is very valid. The boxster S and base 991 both have 3.4 liter engines and comparable performance, so why pay the extra $$$$. I can't answer that. Plus the boxster is mid engined, which is how a sports car really should be. Similarly one should consider the cayman s vs the base 991 coupe. The 991 S does have more power and better performance but a huge bunch of extra money to pay for that extra power + snob factor. Similarly, the turbo demands even more bucks for that marginal increase in power. That's life I guess. Where you want to be on this spectrum is a financial and personal decision.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Have to admit what sold me was the look of the 911 cab, not so much the extra power. IMO it is one beautiful classic looking car. I also liked the increased interior volume but you pay dearly. Perhaps there was a bit of snob appeal? In the end hoping someone more experienced than myself could offer a rational reason having to do with production cost or quality.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM
jrt600
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the end hoping someone more experienced than myself could offer a rational reason having to do with production cost or quality.

Honestly, I don't think you'll find a rational reason. It's very hard to imagine that the 991 cab cost 50% more to manufacture than the Boxster S (which is the approximate difference between the MSRPs of the two). Heck, I'd be shocked if a 991 cab cost 5-10% more to manufacture than a Boxster S. And the quality between the two is similar, particularly given how many parts they share both in the interior and in the drivetrain/suspension/etc. Like another person said, the 911 is Porsche's cash cow...in buying one, you just have to accept the fact that Porsche is making a ton of money off you.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Going to drive the new Boxster at Barber on Monday and Tuesday. Will let you know.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM
David in Talent
Racer

I owned a 2001 Boxster S which I custom ordered from the factory. It simply was the finest and most FUN Porsche (and I have owned 5) that I have ever owned ! I did install the factory European Sports Suspension and that totally changed the car for the better. I currently own a 2007 Carrera 4S. It is a fine Porsche and I prefer the architecture of the coupe BUT it does not give the nimble handling and lightness of being that the Boxster provides. Definitely my next Porsche will be a mid-engined platform: either a Boxster S or Cayman S. I read a few years back that the base Boxster was a loss leader for Porsche , meaning that Porsche barely broke even on the cost to produce the car for the price that they were selling it. On the other hand, the article reported that the 911 was Porsche's cash cow and made more $$$ than any of their sports models.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs Base 991 cab