Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 991 was built to the wrong specs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line is if you went through the effort to order exactly what you want, you should get it. This is what I recommend:

1. Contact Porsche NA directly and tell them about the situation
2. Make the dealer order another car speced correctly. Use the delay as a negotiating tactic for a discount on the final price. With PCNA involved, they will want to negotiate
3. PCNA can then help move up your build so it won't be 6 months out.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Lima in North America?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a similar situation when I ordered my 06 cab. Porsche forgot to install the Sport Chrono and no one noticed it until the day I picked up the car. The SC option actually listed on the window sticker but the wart was nowhere to be found. Anyway, the dealer gave me 2 options, 1. Don’t take the car and reorder it and wait 2 months (no special discount nor expediting anything) 2. I take the car minus the cost of the SC option and they will install the navigation for free. I took option 2. Obviously, it was a factory mistake but they didn't seem to care nor willing to move up the order as compensation.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
FAEDC3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody for your views. Here's where I'm at the moment:
Porsche manager will be coming to my office on Tuesday to discuss the situation. My position is to get the car as I ordered, so if they have to redo it, then I'm all for it.

I understand how some of you don't feel the sunroof is important, but I actually use it quite often, for me it's a lot of fun. So my last option would be to accept the car without it, but only with a very steep discount.

Consumer Bureau has big ears to listen to complaints like these and fines are high, I'd hate to use that card but will if necessary. It is like waiting to move to a new house only to discover that the builder "forgot" to put a guest restroom. I guess that nobody would accept that, because even if you won't use it everyday, but will really miss it when necessary.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM
FAEDC3
Track Day

Originally Posted by Zmoney3982
Is Lima in North America?
Hmmm nope... Try a little south of that.

That would be in South America
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 AM
jrt600
Intermediate

My guess is that your dealer will be receiving an extra allotted car for their inventory as a result of this mistake, so I'd push for the car discounted to invoice price, whether or not you wait for the corrected build or take the incorrectly spec'd car. Selling you the car at invoice with another car to replace it will be a wash for the dealer and the exact same deal for Porsche AG given the circumstances. The dealership shouldn't be able to get a 2nd 991 allotted due to their error and profit off two 991 sales when they would've only had one 991 sale had they not screwed up.

And the only way the dealership isn't going to get an extra allotted car is if the mistake is on dealership and not Porsche AG, in which case they should sell you whichever car you take at invoice due to their mistake (particularly given this error is a retrofittable option). Under this scenario, they again shouldn't be profitting off their error particularly when you have a contract with them, and either way the dealership will make money servicing the car. You win some, you lose some, and the dealer and/or Porsche AG lost this one.

Last edited by jrt600; 05-05-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Michael T
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Order another one, it will be a 2013 likely and get them to discount it some. They can move you you up the list, so my guess would be two months.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FAEDC3
I understand how some of you don't feel the sunroof is important, but I actually use it quite often, for me it's a lot of fun.
The sunroof in the 991 is great. I rarely kept the 997's roof opened on the highway, yet find that the 991 has a soft breeze and very little wind noise. I found a big difference between the two. You'll enjoy the sunroof. Stick to your guns.
Good luck with your meeting.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i love my sunroof delete!

also, 6 months is not bad for peru, thats actually good.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Take it as it is but have them send you a Tequipment PSE.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Rossd
6th Gear

The dealer is being fair with you and giving you options..If you take the car with no sunroof and justify it by saving money will you feel that was your best decision on an 80 degree and sunny day?
Six months is along time to wait, your best decision is the one that will bring you a lasting smile ..
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by jcf7
At minimum I would ask for a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty (in the US they already give 4 years, so you're not really getting a deal). I would also ask for an additional $ discount.
Long-time lurker, but new member ... and first post here!

I agree with jcf7. The compensation they are offering you is inadequate. You should insist on better, as you deserve better. They are making a lot on your car and it is not going to be delivered as optioned... so it is on them to do right by you. It is in their best interests to keep you happy, rather than put the car on the lot and risk losing you as a customer, so keep that in mind. The additional warranty PLUS a good $ discount seems right.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Cocodrilo
Track Day

Question for the OP. Hoy much does a 991 s cost in Peru? IGV included..
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcf7
The sunroof in the 991 is great. I rarely kept the 997's roof opened on the highway, yet find that the 991 has a soft breeze and very little wind noise. I found a big difference between the two. You'll enjoy the sunroof. Stick to your guns.
Good luck with your meeting.
To Op. I agree with the above quote. I believe as it is not your mistake you shouldn't have to compromise. If you take the current car without the roof you will have buyers remorse at one stage. After all you didn't order it originally with a roof if you didn't want it, and the roof is a nice feature. I would put it to them that for an additional six months wait, if that is truly the case, which i find quite hard to believe, and more so just an attempt to push you into this car, then i would refuse the car, and insist that they supply what you ordered. You are better off keeping them on the back foot for future references rather than taking any negotiated deal on the car. That way if anything goes wrong in the future, (or out of warranty) with the correctly spec'd car you can justifiably place pressure on them using the fact they messed you around, so you would be more likely to get special treatment/consideration if any such situation arose.

Obviously there will be an additional waiting period for the correctly spec'd car, so for the inconvenience i would suggest to that they fit an option (or two) that you don't already have in the build list FOC as partial compensation for your patience in the meantime. It is often the case that when something starts out bad it usually gets worse, so it may be an omen to not take this car anyway. Just my .02 cents.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 AM
FAEDC3
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cocodrilo
Question for the OP. Hoy much does a 991 s cost in Peru? IGV included..
Nicely loaded about $148K.

Just to clarify the 6 month period, the dealer has told me that their next available slot is in september, plus transfer time of roughly 40 days... It sums about 5 months. Regardless, it is clearly an exageration to lure me into this car that they now have in their inventory that is not presold.

Quick Reply: My 991 was built to the wrong specs!