Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 991 was built to the wrong specs!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
FAEDC3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 991 was built to the wrong specs!

Well guys, I need some advice here:
Today I got an email from the general manager at the Porsche dealer I ordered my 991 CS from. He says that somehow by mistake somebody (they haven't established if locally or at the factory) "forgot" to include my electric sunroof as an option when building my car, by now, the car is ready and will be shipped next week.
He offers me the option to
a) Walk away, get my deposit back;
b) Order a new car and wait 6 months (minimum)
c) Get the car as it is, and they will give me 2 additional years of warranty (making it 4 years) plus something I chose from the Tequiment catalog.

Evidently, I if decide to take the car as it is, the option will not be charged so it's $2.250 less on the total price.

After I throwed a tantrum for about an hour, bitching about the abuse and the lack of carefullness put on my car, then I started to think more clearly and by now, I think that I can live without the sunroof, so I'll take the car as it is, I had waited enough and the wait is excruciating!

Nevertheless, I still think that they are taking advantage of the fact that well, I want the car and that I have no choice... they now that I'd rant and complain, but at the end, it'll be their way.

So I wanted to ask you guys, what your advice is on the reward I should seek from Porsche, these people know me, it is the 3rd. car that I have bought from them in the last 3 years, I think that I deserve better or should just blame it on bad luck and go on??

Is it me or do you guys think it is fair to ask for a better compensation? what do you guys suggest I request?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

At minimum I would ask for a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty (in the US they already give 4 years, so you're not really getting a deal). I would also ask for an additional $ discount.

I'm sure that you've done your homework, but if you walk away from the deal you could always import from the US, where you'll find something close to your specs and not have to wait 6 months....and the dealer in Lima will service your car. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Sorry to hear that!
Why 6 months?!
I thought they can put you on top of the order list and get it by July or so... At least that's what my dealer suggested.
I think that's the least they can do for you after all this!
I hope I'm not wrong about this,others can confirm.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry for the disappointment. Maybe my perspective is different since I would not order a sunroof in the first place, but doubling your warranty and picking something from the Tequipment catalog (hopefully it's not just a key chain!) may not be overly generous, but it's a reasonable gesture of good will, IMO. Maybe ask them to throw in a couple of free oil changes. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Get what you want. The dealer screwed up my Spyder order, and due to limited availability I was looking at a similar wait if I rejected the car. They gave me a discount I found acceptable and I took delivery, but two years later I still wish it had been to my exact specs...but with the money long since spent, the discount was long ago forgotten.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

My dealer forgot to order my electric seats.
They reordered the car, and it was moved to the top of the allocation and came in about 6 weeks later.
There is a process in place for dealer ordering screw ups.
Unless Peru gets semi annual shipments, don't believe the "6 month" BS.
I had already hammered them on price, so I got a nice Porsche umbrella, and their sincere apologies...all I wanted was my car.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM
FAEDC3
Track Day

As an update on this:

I spoke with a couple of friends and the common opinion is that if Porsche hasn't delivered it, then it is not my car yet. Meaning that if they messed it up, they should accommodate me, putting me on the top of the list and bringing the car by air cargo if necessary (avoiding the 40 days transfer wait).

To me it begins to be clear that that statement of "we don't know if the mistake happened here or at the factory" is pure BS. I'd say that if Porsche makes a mistake in Germany, seems very difficult to me to believe that they'd force the peruvian importer to take the car as it was made. So I'll just blame it locally.

I'm gonna think about it during the weekend and have a meeting with them on Tuesday, your input is important, so thanks!

@jcf7: importing form the US is an option, but then I'll have to change the rear bumper for the european one (much nicer plate holder and those reflective corners are ugly!)
@neanicu: the request to be put on top of the list is the best idea, thanks!

Last edited by FAEDC3; 05-04-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FAEDC3
Well guys, I need some advice here:
Today I got an email from the general manager at the Porsche dealer I ordered my 991 CS from. He says that somehow by mistake somebody (they haven't established if locally or at the factory) "forgot" to include my electric sunroof as an option when building my car, by now, the car is ready and will be shipped next week.
you are lucky - it is totally pointless part, car will be rattle free and lighter with no sunroof. i would love to have mine deleted for free from 997 car.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with neanicu here.
Porsche screwed up, Porsche should fix it. If the mistake is locally or at the factory doesn't matter. It's the Porsche brand image they should be careful with, that's in the interest of both the factory and the Peruvian importer. Regardless of who's at fault here.

They should put you at the top of the list for a new car, minimum waiting time.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We drive Porsches...so we deserve special treatment. After all. We are special people. By golly the PAG oughta just go broke to appease us.

When did you last make a mistake? Maybe when you ranted and raved BEFORE you spent $0.01.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice of the dealer to offer you an extended warranty ( as you've bought three cars in three years and I bet he knows you'll be back in 18 months )

If you don't mind the car the way it is without the sunroof, instead of the extended warranty which you aint gonna use , cash value it against the purchase price of the car, plus the sunroof cost will be around 4500.

This is only if you can live with the car. If not wait for what you want.

Or, I'll swap you mine and I'll pay for shipping ( mines got a sunroof )
Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 PM
nicoff
Racer

You are in Lima. It never rains there so instead of a sunroof get a cab :-)
(Kidding! I am a cab guy so that is why I said that).
Get $$$, based on your purchasing history, you will not need the extra warranty!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

wow, that is quite a story. I have ordered several cars to my specs over the years (all BMW's though) but never had a situation like this. I understand that people make mistakes, but it is a $100k plus car, so it seems like they should really be bending over backwards to make this right. I wish you the best in this tough situation.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

This is exactly where I am at:

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry for the disappointment. Maybe my perspective is different since I would not order a sunroof in the first place, but doubling your warranty and picking something from the Tequipment catalog (hopefully it's not just a key chain!) may not be overly generous, but it's a reasonable gesture of good will, IMO. Maybe ask them to throw in a couple of free oil changes. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I wouldn't want the sunroof on the 991...but I'd act like I was disappointed and take the extra warranty and laugh about it.

Quick Reply: My 991 was built to the wrong specs!