Sponsored by:

(Pre)European Delivery Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
katmai
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default (Pre)European Delivery Nightmare

After much discussion, my wife and I decided to order a 991 C2S with European Delivery in June. This is my first Pcar so I am very excited about it. I submitted my final build and pick up date (June 11) at the end of March. About a month later I decide I want parking sensors; I email my dealer and ask about adding them, but the order is already locked in. No worries.

This past Monday, I get an email from my dealer saying that Porsche can't accommodate my delivery date and I had to pick a date after June 20th! They tell me this 5 weeks before I'm supposed to take delivery of the car! Obviously, I wasn't happy about this and informed them I have had all my plane tickets and hotel reservations booked since March. I asked him what the absolute earliest I can take delivery and all I've heard back in 3 days is that they are talking with Germany and I for sure can't pick it up on the 11th. I have some training for my job in July and can't extend the trip much.

I feel like this situation is quite ridiculous. I almost took delivery of a GTR earlier this year, but declined because the dealer was behaving like a jerk. I would expect this with Nissan, but not Porsche. Who screwed up the dealer or Porsche?

I didn't get a great deal on the car in the first place (1% off), but I knew the dealer quite well from some previous purchases (Audi) and thought he would take care of me. What kind of compensation should I be asking for? Its going to cost me to change or cancel tickets/reservations at this point and my trip will have to be a week shorter.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the build dates change, ive been bumped a month, it just happens.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the build dates change, ive been bumped a month, it just happens.
Mine was in for paint yesterday so looks like my completion for May 10 is on track.

Bummer that dates can change so much, not such an issue with dealer delivery, but if you booked your holiday to Europe, that really sucks.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM
katmai
Track Day

They didn't say anything about a change in build date. It was just ordered too late. All European Deliveries are required to have a 2 week buffer from completion to delivery to make sure this doesn't happen.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've done tourist delivery 3 times with Porsche. The first, in '84 was short circuited by a metal worker's strike so I didn't get to take delivery at all, if that makes you feel any better (I doubt it does ). Orders for the other 2 were arranged at least 6 months in advance and went off without a hitch.

Sorry to hear of your situation, but my thought is that your problem has arisen due to the relatively narrow time frame between when you placed your order and your delivery date. As I recall, it took the factory 4-5 weeks between the time I placed the order and when I received confirmation that my requested tourist delivery date was acceptable. In your case, that 4-5 weeks puts you right into the first week of May which is about when you got the bad news. In any event, Porsche recommends a minimum of 12 weeks between order and delivery to insure that you get the car you want when you want it and you are working with a shorter interval than that. Sometimes the shorter time frame may work out, but obviously in your case in didn't.

Porsche's policy is right there on their web site so I don't think it's necessarily their fault. Did your dealer give you the info about the 12 week time frame up front? If the dealer didn't tell you, then my feeling is that the fault is theirs. I don't know what fair compensation would be, but I think if it's to be had it will have to come from the dealer. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
katmai
Track Day

I guess I wasn't clear on the time line. I ordered it 12 weeks before pickup. I started the process in Feburary.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very disappointed with both dealer and Porsche!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by katmai
I submitted my final build and pick up date (June 11) at the end of March.
Originally Posted by katmai
I guess I wasn't clear on the time line. I ordered it 12 weeks before pickup. I started the process in Feburary.
Ok, you originally said you submitted your final build and pickup date at the end of March; that would have started the clock as far as Porsche was concerned and would be less than 12 weeks from your pick-up date regardless of when you personally started the process. Not to mention that the 12 weeks is considered a minimum. Anyway, that's the info my original response was based on. If your order and pick-up date were actually placed sooner, then it's harder to guess what/who caused your problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not acceptable on Porsche's part
It Euro delivery and the dates should be locked.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 79 Posts

sorry to hear this.

i don't think it's acceptable since u picked the delivery date way ahead of time. Porsche should plan to have enough lead time to complete the car before ur scheduled delivery date. they should also know all ur accommodations are booked that can not be changed. i would be pissed & at least asking them to cover whatever ur lost is.

Quick Reply: (Pre)European Delivery Nightmare