Sponsored by:

sport exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
i like my bypass pipes. Is it available for the 991?
From what I've heard so far the center muffler bypass pipe is not out yet. Per rijow, the 991's have two diff exhaust systems between the base and the S so it's probably going to take a while.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 AM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i disagree on all levels,

S Vehicle: headers-->cats-->Center Muffler (muffler has 2 inlets and 4 outlets) 2 outlets feed directly off center muffler out the inner tips (bypassing side mufflers) and the other outlets feed the side mufflers and then out the rear.. the vehicle has "true" quad exhaust with the center tips feeding straight off center muffler.

Base Vehicle: header-->cats--->center muffler (2 inlet, 2 outlet) the outlets feed only the side cans, and side cans feed the tips...

S stock sounds like 997.2 PSE, the PSE for these models have baffles in the center of the center muffler that can then fully bypass the side mufflers... this is why difference is minimal..

base model stock versus PSE is a differnce, same difference as base and S...

the S exhaust basically did what the gundo hack has always done, and the PSE has always done.. bypass the side cans for better sound.
Would you mind getting some pictures of your exhaust? Ive been under all 3 cars and have seen the same exhaust used on the base and S, and the Porsche parts diagrams show identical systems.

I will say the 991 S sounds decent inside the car, but its still too bland for my taste, just not exciting enough. Even a stock 997GT3 is not enough.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:09 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Would you mind getting some pictures of your exhaust? Ive been under all 3 cars and have seen the same exhaust used on the base and S, and the Porsche parts diagrams show identical systems.

I will say the 991 S sounds decent inside the car, but its still too bland for my taste, just not exciting enough. Even a stock 997GT3 is not enough.
i dont understand how you could not notice.

A: base models (w/o PSE) have OVAL tips, the oval tips only have 1 inlet, which gets fed from the center muffler.

B: all "S" models have true "quad" tips... inside tips fed from center muffler, outside tips from side muffler.

the non PSE setups have a solid center muffler, the PSE setups have a center muffler separated into 2 parts with baffles in the center.

991 "S" NON PSE:

991 (Base or S) with PSE:

the base, with oval tips... only has feed from the side mufflers to the tips.. i dont have a lift, but im googling for pics...
Old 06-15-2012, 02:51 AM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i dont understand how you could not notice.

A: base models (w/o PSE) have OVAL tips, the oval tips only have 1 inlet, which gets fed from the center muffler.

B: all "S" models have true "quad" tips... inside tips fed from center muffler, outside tips from side muffler.

the non PSE setups have a solid center muffler, the PSE setups have a center muffler separated into 2 parts with baffles in the center.

991 "S" NON PSE:

991 (Base or S) with PSE:

the base, with oval tips... only has feed from the side mufflers to the tips.. i dont have a lift, but im googling for pics...
The base model I saw with oval tips had the same muffler design as the S model, the only difference was the tips. I wouldnt have missed it had the design been different.

The rear has enough clearance while the car is on the ground. That is, if you wouldnt mind taking a couple pictures.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
The base model I saw with oval tips had the same muffler design as the S model, the only difference was the tips. I wouldnt have missed it had the design been different.

The rear has enough clearance while the car is on the ground. That is, if you wouldnt mind taking a couple pictures.
ill get it on the lift tomorrow maybe and snap some, you clearly did not notice the single inlets into the tips.. the car doesnt change, and ive been under mine enough to know it's nothing like the S or PSE... the Base 3.4L setup looks identical to both S/Base 997.2 setups.... where the tips are solely fed from side cans.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
HotLap
Racer

rijo - curious, are the center tips (coming out of the center muffler) removable as I don't seen clamp bolts like on the outer tips coming off the side cans? They appear to be one piece welded to the center muffler? If so, that's going to give the aftermarket fits if trying to design a center muffler bypass like the one I had from Sharkwerks on my 997.....would hate to have to buy new tips as well - I like the stock quad tips.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the center muffler is larger than the 997's. i wonder why?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HotLap
rijo - curious, are the center tips (coming out of the center muffler) removable as I don't seen clamp bolts like on the outer tips coming off the side cans? They appear to be one piece welded to the center muffler? If so, that's going to give the aftermarket fits if trying to design a center muffler bypass like the one I had from Sharkwerks on my 997.....would hate to have to buy new tips as well - I like the stock quad tips.
tips do come off, can reuse them...

Originally Posted by kosmo
the center muffler is larger than the 997's. i wonder why?
larger but i feel more free flowing, much larger inlets and outlets...
Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
HotLap
Racer

rijo - thanks and good to hear!!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:41 PM
chinole
Intermediate

Kudos to Riley for the beautiful underskirt shots!

There she is in all her revealing glory...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:59 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

the PSE photo went away,

i will have a photo of base non PSE next week, my shop couldnt fit me in today.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Al Morales
AutoX

Man you guys really know your ****. Agreed on all levels. Will drive it for a s while and see how it goes. Thanks for everything. I will post some pictures when it arrives. Just for the record, the price of the 991S with all the extras here in Hong Kong came out to HKD 2.3 Million = USD 290,000 so happy to save a few bucks on the PSE
Old 06-16-2012, 05:43 PM
airwave
Intermediate

I changed my order today and added the sport exhaust on the S, i drove a test car again and i must say it is absolutely amazing the sound I think it is worth to add it. You can hear the difference and growling of the engine very clearly... in - and outside. You can switch it off when ever you like it, this makes sense and is a good option too. The exhaust itself is also different, the pipes are gloss painted.....
Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

I have driven both the 991S coupe and cab with and without PE..it is louder but the stock exhaust sounds nice and throaty when you step on it but can also be nice, more subdued background noise when you are cruisiing with the wife or the girlfriend. Me and my saleman both agreed we like the car better without the PE and you save a few bucks....
Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

killer pic's rijo -

does the PSE S car switched off sound like the non-pse S car or does that system also change the non-switched sound?

i am still up in the air on whether i will get a PSE when they bring them to market - expect it will be next year

Quick Reply: sport exhaust