Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Porsche Engine Break - in/ Running - in Instructions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:14 AM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys just relax and drive the thing....lets have some fun with our cars work is stressful enough.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The break in procedure is written for the driver, not the car
The lawyers dont want newbies stuffing them into the bushes and blaming Porsche, this gives the driver some time to get acclimated....
Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Andreas Preuninger, head of GT car development at Porsche. This was at the 997 RS 4.0 litre preview in the UK.

A few of us asked about running in. He said the following:

- For the first couple of hundred miles drive the car gently; no high revs and don't let the engine labour. The main thing here is bedding in tyres and brakes.

- Up to around 500 miles, vary engine load and speed. Use perhaps 2/3rd of the rev range (when warm of course). No full throttle.

- Between 500 and 1,000 miles start to use more of the revs, and larger (occasional full) throttle openings. (I tend to up my rev limit 1,000 rpm per 100 miles.)

- Beyond 1,000 miles drive the car as you wish.

He confirmed that most GT engines develop their full potential around 10,000 miles - most 3.8 RS engines were over 460hp (10 up on OEM figures) at this mileage.

I've pretty much used AP's technique for years now - most notably on a 996 GT3 Gen 2 that has now done 60,000 miles, half on track. The engine uses no oil, and still develops 430 hp (it has a Manthey map and exhaust).

Anyhow, thought I'd share.

Cheers
Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan einz
Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Andreas Preuninger, head of GT car development at Porsche. This was at the 997 RS 4.0 litre preview in the UK.

A few of us asked about running in. He said the following:

- For the first couple of hundred miles drive the car gently; no high revs and don't let the engine labour. The main thing here is bedding in tyres and brakes.

- Up to around 500 miles, vary engine load and speed. Use perhaps 2/3rd of the rev range (when warm of course). No full throttle.

- Between 500 and 1,000 miles start to use more of the revs, and larger (occasional full) throttle openings. (I tend to up my rev limit 1,000 rpm per 100 miles.)

- Beyond 1,000 miles drive the car as you wish.

He confirmed that most GT engines develop their full potential around 10,000 miles - most 3.8 RS engines were over 460hp (10 up on OEM figures) at this mileage.

I've pretty much used AP's technique for years now - most notably on a 996 GT3 Gen 2 that has now done 60,000 miles, half on track. The engine uses no oil, and still develops 430 hp (it has a Manthey map and exhaust).

Anyhow, thought I'd share.

Cheers
Great stuff. Preuninger is a veritable font of knowledge. Ii've heard similar from oil companies and other Porsche engines. There's a negative consequence to early oil changes (after the initial flush to take out assembly residues) and there's a lot of energy going into rings and valve gear. I imagine as you go down the drive-train, parasitic loss percentages result in measurable changes, too, but the temptation to use thin gear oil should be resisted ... : )

Quick Reply: The Official Porsche Engine Break - in/ Running - in Instructions.