Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
yes, UK site.

about twice as long, covering virtually the entire length of the black plastic
sfo: I can't find it on the UK website. Below is the configurator representation that I posted earlier. It is from Porsche Dubai. But this might not be the one you are talking about, since its pretty 'short'.

Perhpaps the brushed aluminium illuminated sill option is completely different from this one! Or the one I posted might be the standard sill which 'filled in' on the configurator for the 'illuminated' option since they didn't have one at hand to represent the option as it will be. Never underestimate the 'laziness' of the configurator web masters at PAG!

Could you paste in this thread what you are seeing so that we can compare it to what I posted below?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 01-31-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: resized attached photos
Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

www.porsche.com/uk

I tried to copy the configurator pic, but was unable to. How is it done?

definitely not the pic you posted above, as that is a standard sill.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Here are the stainless steel door sill guards option from the UK configurator.

Name:  Stainlesssteelsillguards.jpg
Views: 5115
Size:  29.5 KB
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, Z356 or Eduardo....or whatever you call yourself, this has to got down as the most expensive GD threads ever posted! I was perfectly happy with my 991 C2S Cab that is fairly highly optioned...Silver/Red PDK 131K window sticker. But because of you, and this insidious post, I'm about to order a new car. The time and effort you have taken to educate us is truly amazing, but half of me wants to have you horse whipped and the other half wants to hire you as a consultant to help me through the labyrinth of Porsche ordering. One question first, my 1989 turbo cab was the coolest blue I ever saw. This was long before I was aware of PTS or even the sticker under the hood and what those numbers meant. My crappy memory tells me in was marine or maritime blue. Do any of you guys know if that was a standard color back then. Finally, Eduardo you have made an amazing contribution to this forum and I really appreciate your efforts, even if it is going to cost me and many others here tens of thousands of dollars. Cheers......Chris
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

spoke to a very helpful man from PE in Zuffenhausen today:

he said that:

1. fewer than 30 991s have been built thus far with PTS.
2. no 991 has been built with polar silver metallic (92M), as that colour is still being feasibility checked.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
spoke to a very helpful man from PE in Zuffenhausen today:

he said that:

1. fewer than 30 991s have been built thus far with PTS.
2. no 991 has been built with polar silver metallic (92M), as that colour is still being feasibility checked.
Now we know why EVIO hasn't posted any pictures...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
lawdawg97
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Well, Z356 or Eduardo....or whatever you call yourself, this has to got down as the most expensive GD threads ever posted! I was perfectly happy with my 991 C2S Cab that is fairly highly optioned...Silver/Red PDK 131K window sticker. But because of you, and this insidious post, I'm about to order a new car. The time and effort you have taken to educate us is truly amazing, but half of me wants to have you horse whipped and the other half wants to hire you as a consultant to help me through the labyrinth of Porsche ordering. One question first, my 1989 turbo cab was the coolest blue I ever saw. This was long before I was aware of PTS or even the sticker under the hood and what those numbers meant. My crappy memory tells me in was marine or maritime blue. Do any of you guys know if that was a standard color back then. Finally, Eduardo you have made an amazing contribution to this forum and I really appreciate your efforts, even if it is going to cost me and many others here tens of thousands of dollars. Cheers......Chris
+1 on that
every post my wallet gets lighter
Old 08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
Try this:
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=1989&rows=50
Old 08-14-2012, 06:53 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Thanks Keadog,

I don't see it there, but I have a hard time with little color chips. Something tells me it was PTS. My previous car was an 87' Venetian blue 911 and it was darker than that. It was similar to Arena red in the way light and shadows really make the color come alive. Thanks again for the post.....Chris
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Sure! I had a Venetian Blue '87 also - loved that color!
Try this one too:

http://teamspeed.com/forums/porsches...d-porsche.html
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

What a fantastic site you discovered. Baltic blue is the closest, and may be it, if it wasn't a PTS color. I need to go look at a Baltic blue car. It was blue/blue top, linen interior, blue carpet and black dash. Maybe it was a dark blue dash, I can't believe I don't remember, aging is a bitch! Now I have to go back and see if that is a color I can order. Espresso interior might look great.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

There's a link there for green and I think yellow cars also over there. Fun stuff.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

LOVE Midnight Blue
Old 08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Unusual PTS Exteriors & Interiors Seen At Historics in Carmel!

I have been busy for the past 10 days in Carmel which accounts for no new posting on this thread in the past week! That is my favorite week in the calendar! This year my activities included the following:

1) Pre-Historics at Laguna Seca on Sunday!
2) Garage Style Magazine's 'Garage Tour' on Monday!
3) Carmel's 'Concours on the Avenue' on Tuesday!
Automobilia Monterey on Tuesday & Wednesday! (http://automobiliamonterey.com/)
4) Micro-Car Show in Pacific Grove on Wednesday noon!
Gordon McCall's Jet Center Party on Wednesday night!
5) Test Driving - Porsche Zentrum in Quail Lodge on Thursday!
Pebble Beach Concours Entrants Rallye - Lunch Stop in Carmel's Ocean Avenue!
6) 'Legends of the Autobahn' Concours in La Cañada Golf Club on Friday Morning!
'Concorso Italiano' near Pasadera Golf Club on Friday Afternoon!
7) Historics Racing at Laguna Seca on Saturday day!
'Carrera Panamericana Reunion' at Baja Cantina on Saturday night!
8) 'Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance' on Sunday day!
Gooding's Auction on Sunday night!

And I missed The Quail, Mecum's, RM's, Bonhams, Russo & Steele - ran out of time and money!

At both the Pre-Historics and Historics, a very unusual '09 Porsche Turbo was parked in the paddock area. It is a PTS color which the owner 'borrowed' from a Ferrari racing team he knows in Belgium. This hue is a close relative to my old '73 911's 'Signal Yellow' (although it looks almost 'orange' in photos), but more intense! The owner had the Belgians provide him the color formula and then used it to paint a sample piece which was sent to PAG. It was approved and given the 'colour code' Z10. Yellows are an extremely difficult color on any car's surface. I could tell that over time, the plastic bumpers had retain the color pretty well but the metal surfaces adjacent to it were a shade different - almost giving a translucent look. This is one of the reasons that PAG so often does not approve a customer's PTS color request. They don't want to be liable for warranty work down the road if the owner complains about fading & mis-matching panels. The interior was also 'Leather to Sample' - blue with yellow deviating stitching. As with all 'Leather to Sample' interiors, the interior's plastic pieces (speakers, defroster vents, etc) will be done in black 'soft touch' paint. The factory actually encourages you to cover all of these plastic pieces in leather to achieve a better coordinated look. This owner did not do that, but the contrast with the blue is totally acceptable!

Next photo is of a beautiful PTS 'Riviera Blue' My2006 Carrera S that was on display at 'Legends of the Autobahn' on Friday. It belongs to Rennlister 'Rolling Art' (Phil) in our forum.

Final photos are of the 'Agate Grey/Lime Gold' interior on a Boxster at the Porsche Zentrum in Quail. This is shown as available only in 'Partial Leather' on the Configurator for that model exclusively. But it's my understanding that it could be requested by special order in other models (e.g. 991) and even in a 'Full Leather' interior. As photographed at Quail, all of the Agate Grey components are in 'vinyl'. Only the 'Lime Gold' parts are real leather. 'Lime Gold' is an unusual hue and could look very interesting as an interior with other exterior colors besides 'Lime Gold' (e.g. Anthracite, Mahogany, Cognac & Agate Grey) ! This interior has been seldom ordered to date by any customer or dealer. So it was the first time I have ever seen it in person...and so perhaps by most of you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images       
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 4

Option # XHS for $1,190. This what the configurator calls it: 'Center tunnel rear in leather with decorative stitching'. Here is what it contains:

Covered in smooth-finish leather in interior color with decorative stitching:
- center tunnel cover in rear
- storage compartment lid in center console

This is one option to STRONGLY consider. The reason I suggest you all should get it is that the alternatives do not look as attractive. Without 'full leather' interior, both areas are covered in texture vinyl (1st photo attached).

2nd & 3rd photos shows area as it comes with 'full leather' interior in 'Black' and the 4th in 'Pebble Grey'. The console lid is covered tightly in leather which is often confused for a synthetic leather and the rear tunnel is covered in leather but with limited stitching.

5th & 6th photos are of this area with option XHS in a 'full leather' interior in 'Black'. The stitching is really pronounced and the whole thing looks very elegant & well finished. The lower part of the rear tunnel is done in the higher quality 'smooth' leather that matches the leather grade of the seats. The stitching on the lid of center console (storage) leaves no doubt the material is leather! Unfortunately, the lid and top of rear tunnel is done in texture leather on the 'Black' interior on this example. I believe that it will be all done in the higher grade leather if you order this with the natural upgraded leathers (e.g. Carrera Red). The lid on my Spyder's 'Carrera Red' optional lid looks even better (last photo) due to the higher quality of the 'natural' aniline dyed leather!

This option was not available on early orders. I have only seen it on the 'Racing Yellow' 991 of Sascha Glaeser which he uses as a demonstrator. However, it has been available to order for several months now on the PCNA configurator!

At this time, this option apparently can NOT be ordered with deviating stitching. Not even the standard 'limited' colors offered for the seats, dash, door panels, etc. This restriction will change soon. Deviating stitching for all additional leather 'Porsche Exclusive' options is expected to be available later this Fall. However, if you are ordering right now a 'full leather' interior without deviating stitching, this XHS option will have stitching that matches the rest of your interior today and will look very good!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!