Sponsored by:

is there a way to disable the hill-holding feature

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a way to disable the hill-holding feature

the new 991s have this very annoying feature of putting on the brakes for you when you are stopped on a hill so the car doesn't roll back - that might be great if you never drove a car with a clutch, but I find it hugely annoying - it makes me stall the car or nearly stall the car because I'm fighting the brake and the hill. Is there some switch action to tell the car computer that this particular assistance is not helpful? - I finally noticed there is a little green indicator on the dash that tells you when this feature activates, but some help that is - I guess I can over-rev it to get started and I won't notice, but I like to drive smoothly (I got about 140K miles on the first clutch in my 993) - so far this is the second most annoying feature in the 991 (the most annoying is that stupid rubber lip on the front that drags on the ground all the time - mine fell off and got lost in the first 150 miles, after I put it back on at least 10 times. good riddance, though the car looks odd without it.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:38 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
(the most annoying is that stupid rubber lip on the front that drags on the ground all the time - mine fell off and got lost in the first 150 miles, after I put it back on at least 10 times. good riddance, though the car looks odd without it.
Rubber lip falling off?? Are you referring to the big one in black at the bottom of front bumper (also body paint option available which I was thinking of adding to my config)?

BTW,
I thought that not rolling back feature was helpful! It's in my BMW and Lexus today...so I couldn't help you there...
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new 991s have this very annoying feature of putting on the brakes for you when you are stopped on a hill so the car doesn't roll back - that might be great if you never drove a car with a clutch, but I find it hugely annoying - it makes me stall the car or nearly stall the car because I'm fighting the brake and the hill.
I cannot for the life of me see why you can't just learn to make good use of the feature instead of griping about it. I'm into my fourth decade of driving and live in the mountains where hill starts are as much a part of daily life as mist and rain. So it's not as though I NEED the feature. But it makes pulling away on a hill a little easier for everyone, you and me included. What's the problem?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts

Its also great when teaching a teen how to drive a manual.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

"(the most annoying is that stupid rubber lip on the front that drags on the ground all the time - mine fell off and got lost in the first 150 miles, after I put it back on at least 10 times. good riddance, though the car looks odd without it"

Bogus
Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
"(the most annoying is that stupid rubber lip on the front that drags on the ground all the time - mine fell off and got lost in the first 150 miles, after I put it back on at least 10 times. good riddance, though the car looks odd without it"

Bogus
as you wish, the rubber lip dragged on my driveway, I couldn't go in our out without it dragging, when backing out it would pull off the car most of the time, it would drag on speed bumps, it would drag on intersections, it was a bad idea - note that this was the "lower" one that came with cars with sports suspension. you can say bogus if you want, that's not my problem, that's your problem - but the fact of the matter is that the lip is just too low for a car driven in the city or country - maybe OK for a track. the non "S" lip is supposed to fit and not go as low, I have one on order.

as for the hill holding feature - for what I paid for this car, I feel I have the right to ask if it can be turned off. It is not helpful to me, it is annoying, and I want to change it. for those who like it - by all means, enjoy it. I find it disconcerting at best, and worse on the steepest hills.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Fabolous
Intermediate

as you wish, the rubber lip dragged on my driveway, I couldn't go in our out without it dragging, when backing out it would pull off the car most of the time, it would drag on speed bumps, it would drag on intersections, it was a bad idea - note that this was the "lower" one that came with cars with sports suspension. you can say bogus if you want, that's not my problem, that's your problem - but the fact of the matter is that the lip is just too low for a car driven in the city or country - maybe OK for a track. the non "S" lip is supposed to fit and not go as low, I have one on order.

as for the hill holding feature - for what I paid for this car, I feel I have the right to ask if it can be turned off. It is not helpful to me, it is annoying, and I want to change it. for those who like it - by all means, enjoy it. I find it disconcerting at best, and worse on the steepest hills.
Sounds like its your problem really. I have this problem at one of my driveways so feel your pain but have heard no one complaining about losing theirs yet.

As for the hill holder, i hear ya about making it possible to be disabled. Although i must say more and more cars have this feature, so good luck finding one without it. My manual 06 330i had it and i as well as lots of passengers thought it was a great idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I guess I can always go back to my 356 - it doesn't have anything..... no power, no hill holder, no cup holders, no automatic anything, no choke, but it does get 45mpg. But the 991 is much more comfortable on a hot day.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 AM
packwest
Advanced

It's an awesome option and I've never had any issue with stalling it on a hill. Just rev it normally as if you're pulling away on a flat road and you'll be fine.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 AM
deturney
Instructor

I had to be very careful with my base Cayman or I could easily drag the front underside on a lot of stuff. I have not so far dragged the front on my 991S (1500 miles) anywhere. I have even gone to the worst driveway for my Cayman and the 991S just glides right in, I don't have to approach it from an angle or worry about being real careful. You must have a very steep entry or big bump leading into your drive?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't mind the hill assist, but why there isn't an off function I don't know.

I dragged my 997 (standard suspension). I have yet to even touch anything with the 991 Sport Suspension and the lip. Plus I think the shorter overhang looks better, too.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

Actually, I reported in detail my experience removing and replacing my Sport PASM spoiler after backing down a steep driveway in a thread here some time ago. It happened once, and then it was obvious how to avoid that angle and not repeat it all over town.

Before getting the 991 (with the lower Sport PASM suspension and spoiler) I had to turn down a fantastic deal on 997 GT3 (pre front end lift) because it could not get up or down my driveway, where the 991 has no problems. Overall my 991 is far less prone to dragging its spoiler than my old Boxter S RS-60.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get what you are saying on the hill holder. I had it on another car and found it very annoying. Fortunately, I was able to disable it. This was a VW, so I suspect it is the same system. If so, repeatedly pressing the parking brake switch cycles it through different modes if I remember correctly.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
bocajef
3rd Gear

The Hill Hold function is dangerous, as it is currently designed. Mine comes on at the slightest incline and often I don't see that it is engaged. It has come close to causing an accident, by stalling the engine (well I do because I don't know it's engaged).
For those that like it, fine, but I'm used to "really driving" a standard shift and it is VERY annoying and I want the option to disable.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

you know..... today I forgot to angle out of my driveway and just backed straight out - there is no rubber lip on my car, and the nose dragged. I wonder if my car's nose is too low - is there a spec? how high should it be?

Quick Reply: is there a way to disable the hill-holding feature