Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not that we should care but, 997 guys are ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Interesting. I just came from a 997.2. In my view - both cars are awesome and I definitely miss by 997. In a perfect world (with no wife!), I would have owned both. The 991 is just an evolution. Porsche rarely changes their cars and their owners are use to that. So when changes happens, everyone resists. When it comes down to it, Porsche needed to make some changes (some good and some bad). In the end, we all share one thing: love of the brand.
well said!!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I've owned a bunch of Porsches over a lot of years. I didn't discover these forums until I was searching for my 993tt. I really appreciate the advice I have been given here. Since I am retired, the many hours I spend on the various Porsche forums can't be considered wasted. What I have noticed is that 997 owner's are downright hostile to the 991. I bought a new 09' C2S cab on May 09. I loved this car. It was too damn noisy at speed, but otherwise, the best Porsche I had owned. I now have the 991 version of the 997 I had. This car is another of Porsche's evolutionary, improvements. I am perplexed at the 997 forum's negative comments. I am most certainly not trying to start trouble but, as can't we all just get along.
Had my 997 from 05 to this year. Replaced it with a 991S. Both versions are the benchmark for sports cars. All of us love these machines. No reason to hate. I will say the 991 S PDK/PDCC/Chrono is basically a super car in disguise and that kind of below the radar character is something I love. The handling dynamics with the engine a little more forward than the 997 are also outstandingly better than the 997. I feel very fortunate, speaking as someone that loves twisty mountain roads.

Last edited by holminator; 09-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:21 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
The 991 doesn’t interest me, nor did the 997 until I saw the first and second gen GT3. The 991 lights are looking to me like an Audi and the curves and overall size of the 991 looks like a Aston Martin.
This is just BS. Probably read it here on the board and get Jedi Mind tricked into believing it. The 991 has been out a while and I've seen several driving around. If you're not a Porsche-phile, you wouldn't recognize the 991 is a newer version of the 997, they look so similar. Its still a very recognizable 911. Aston Martin, riiiiight.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

What I have noticed is that 997 owner's are downright hostile to the 991.

I am perplexed at the 997 forum's negative comments.
From what I have seen both here and on the 997 board, the hostility goes both ways. For every legitimate gripe about styling, steering feel, etc., there is a comment about sour grapes happening with every new model generation, lack of funds to buy the new model, etc.

Great that you love your 991, but some of us don't - and some of us have owned and loved 911s for decades.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM
roup1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned four 997s, both 997.1 and 997.2. I've had manual, tip, and PDK versions. I had base and S. I had coupe and cab. Those were great cars, especially the 997.2. However, the 991 is superior to any of those cars in EVERY way!

As Chris mentioned, the 997 were particularly loud at speed, especially the coupe.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As an outsider I have observed similar on the 997 forum. Personally I really like both and in truth I see reasons to love nearly all Porsches. They're all beautiful in their own way and they all bring a different driving experience with them. The 991 is the Jekyll and Hyde of 911's.

It's odd because you don't see this on the 987/981 forums when comparing the new boxster against the old one. Everyone seems to agree that the new one is better in every way.

I'm looking forward to seeing the GT versions of the 991 and the sportier versions of the 981, hopefully Porsche will strip these down a bit to provide a more sport focused product.
Not surprising, marine blue, as the owners of the boxsters didn't have as much invested in their cars as we (997/991) owners do...often in the neighborhood of 130k+.

I am in my first Porsche , 991Scab, and absolutely love it. I have coveted every new 911 body style that came out, least of which the 996, but it wasn't the right timing until now. I understand the reticence of recent 997 owners to adapt to the new body style, but eventually I believe they will. There will always be a good market for the 997.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
This is just BS. Probably read it here on the board and get Jedi Mind tricked into believing it. The 991 has been out a while and I've seen several driving around. If you're not a Porsche-phile, you wouldn't recognize the 991 is a newer version of the 997, they look so similar. Its still a very recognizable 911. Aston Martin, riiiiight.
I suspect that once you get committed to those "special" 996 headlights, there is no going back...... or forward.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by roup1

As Chris mentioned, the 997 were particularly loud at speed, especially the coupe.
Seriously? And you're buying a sports car and concerned that its loud. Why not just buy a Lexus and be done with It. That's like buying an F 40 and saying it doesn't have power steering or it doesn't have a satnav.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
The 991 doesn’t interest me, nor did the 997 until I saw the first and second gen GT3. The 991 lights are looking to me like an Audi and the curves and overall size of the 991 looks like a Aston Martin. 20’/21’ wheels look terrible and I hate center locks. Looking at the direction where they are going with the GT3 wing and that they seem to plan on keeping those awful warts on the Turbos front bumper makes me really start thinking about throwing in the towel with the brand.
Personally I may just switch to Lotus, the Elise S is what I am looking for in a sports car or something like the Alpine Berlinette, but these will probably not be available here so I will wait and see what the new Cayman will be like.
The 991 is the fastest and easiest to drive 911 ever but for me it’s has just gotten too large, fancy and I never asked for a car that practically drives itself. If the Boxster or Cayman had the same engine and if it were priced the same I take it over the 991 but that will never happen.

I can see why the 997 guys may feel that way for the small group that are hard core driving types. You know the guys who heel and toe, do their own rev matching and turn off all electronic nannies. But I believe the majority are not hardcore and the other opinions posted above are closer to the real reason.
I’ll admit the 991 is way better then what I have but in all truth I’d rather drop the engine in my car then own one and in fact that’s what I’d do if I were to be given one.
+1.

That said, Porsche will sell more 991s than 997s for the reasons stated.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:47 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not just the 997 forums posters. IMO it is all of Porsche.

I would say that I am an early adaptor of internet chatrooms/forums. I've been moderators, founders of various automotive forums since very early on, from Asian sporty coupes of various brands, BMW, Lotus, detailing, other hobbies and now I mainly check the Porsche forums.

For years, Porsche produced cult products, products that provoked passion. When people are passionate about their cars, they will defend, justifiy and promote their cars. More so, than the other brands. This was tied to brand loyalty as well.

On top of that, what I noticed, was that when you go up the social scale, the more type A personalities there are. People who are "always" right. They want the best, and they all think they have the best. If they don't have the best, they nitpick, whine, complain, fuzz the small stuff on the boards. I have never seen so many people who have shiny $100k cars who have so much chips on their shoulders. "boohoo, too soft" " bahwahwah, too big" "bah humbug, fugly" "too cheap! too much! too complicated! air cooled! water cooled! abs, no abs, NA!, turbo!.... and so on"

There are also more people on the internet, and more people are voicing their opinions.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts

Everyone likes the 911 they have better than the 911 they don't have. The same people who bash the 991 now will brag about it once they buy one.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Everyone likes the 911 they have better than the 911 they don't have. The same people who bash the 991 now will brag about it once they buy one.
I'm probably way in the minorty but If I were paying for them. I would rather get a 964 C2 and a Cayman R. Owning two porsches is better then one. That said and if money were no object and I could keep the other 2, the modern automatic 991 would make a great car that the whole family could drive. It would make sense adding one into the stable but to trade in for, No way.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

+111111

Last edited by abiazis; 10-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:06 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not willing to accept that the more money one has, the bigger jerk one is. I spent my career as a yacht yard owner, and while I came across my share of guys who had to have their way, the large majority were thoughtful men with great sensitivity to others. I became convinced that this was crucial to their success, along with identifying potential in people that others couldn't see.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned a bunch of Porsches over a lot of years. I didn't discover these forums until I was searching for my 993tt. I really appreciate the advice I have been given here. Since I am retired, the many hours I spend on the various Porsche forums can't be considered wasted. What I have noticed is that 997 owner's are downright hostile to the 991. I bought a new 09' C2S cab on May 09. I loved this car. It was too damn noisy at speed, but otherwise, the best Porsche I had owned. I now have the 991 version of the 997 I had. This car is another of Porsche's evolutionary, improvements. I am perplexed at the 997 forum's negative comments. I am most certainly not trying to start trouble but, as can't we all just get along.
No. You are just responding to the loud minority (see politics). I am a 997 owner and am considering an upgrade at some time. People who are happy speak less - universally true.

Quick Reply: Not that we should care but, 997 guys are ?