Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not that we should care but, 997 guys are ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:13 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

911 owners hate change, but the 911 is all about change.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I beg to differ, If Porsche has something that works they are hesitant to change.
They were the last automaker to switch to water cooled motors.
They just dont put in the last greatest widget unless it makes sense.
Porsche is about continuity and keeping things that work. Just to give
you one DAMN good example Ferrari and the Mercedes had some fancy trannies
in the late 1990's. Porsche had the PDK since 1983/4 it didnt make it until the last
half of the 2009 model year. Porsche is not about change for changes sake. They are
doing what makes the most engineering sense and sticking with it. And when something comes
along that maybe better, Porsche makes dang sure it better be better and it better work.
Since when did they change from the Flat six? and Motor in the back? Even though we probably
know the motor in the middle is better? Yup 911 is the most consistant model and changes the least
of any high dollar automobile.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I havent seen this idea so I will put it out there anyway. I have had every edition since the 993TT, 996 GT3 (WOAH WHAT fun!!) 997.1 GT3 (WOAH WHAT NOISE!!) and now my 997.2. I loved all of them but here is the reason for what you see:
WE ARE ALL 911 NUTS!!!! Think about it: What car thats important to the auto world that changes the LEAST? OUR 911's Of Course!!! There is some genetic trait that goes back to 356 owners that HATES CHANGES!!! (All humans dislike change by definition, its unsettling) but really out of ALL car owners we are the owners (no matter WHAT model) of the most historic non changing shape in all of AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY. Nothing is ICONIC as the 911 NOTHING!! So what happens in the Car Mag world when ANYTHING changes on the 911? Even if its a new spark plug and nothing else, there are TONS and TONS of paper written about the change no matter how small. So its ingrained in the very BONES of 911 owners that change is BAD. It doesnt matter what it is its HORRIBLE. I bet MILLIONS of dollars were made by phycologists when Porches put a WATER cooled motor in the 911!! People were having anxiety attacks, there were protests, and several hundred people were talked of building edges.

So if you would like to identify the group of people who absolutely hate change the MOST.....911 owners.
How many of you that have been in the 911 world for awhile that have friends who have BOUGHT BACK their old 911? I do, and I bet there is more than a couple in here who do also.

Its not that the old guys dont Like the new 911... OH THEY DO! But its an INSULT to them their cars and their marque that ANYONE would DARE make a change to the most perfect thing God has EVER let man make-Their own 911. There is a mental deficiency that happens when the new 911 comes out. It causes depression, anxiety and ANGER! In most its not a life long disease. It gets better and lessens over time (for most, some it stays for ever!See AIR COOLED). I mean I would NEVER would have thought that someone would call the 997owners, the Old 911 guys.

But what you are seeing is NOT a real dislike for the new guys or their cars. Its just a time based mental lapse that takes 911 owners longer to get over than NORMAL people. You will see in an other 6 months more and more 997 and older guys be less divisive and less argumentative than they were before, and even a gentleness when they see a new owner in their new 991. In time you will see even some admiration by some of the older vets.

So its NOTHING personal. Your just witnessing evolution HAPPEN before your very eyes. Some Species take longer than others. The only other similar condition I know of in the human condition is Apple owners. But even then its only a slight affection compared to 911 owners. So dont worry about it. Its your job to sit back and let the previous generations 911 owner to heal and get better. Then when the 992 comes out YOU will be part of those old gnarly 911 owners who dont appreciate newer engineering.
And there will be guys in the 992 forum writing posts about you.
Good grief. Whatever. If there's a better sports car vis-a-vis performance and reliability that comes out that is not a 911 I'll bolt. I'm on my fourth Porsche with no sense of overblown loyalty to a brand. That said, for today, the 991 is the benchmark all other sports car makers compare themselves to for a solid reason. Change is good. Those that can't handle it usually do not fair well in life.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

GOOD GRIEF!!!
Dude I posted that for your enjoyment, it was a poke at us 911 owners. one guy says sensational piece and you think its a waste of time. It was tongue in cheek, a little dig at ourselves. If you dont like it or think its too long PLEASE by all means move on.
here is what I say to you GOOD GRIEF, dont take life so seriously. Those who DO take life TOO seriously do not fair well in life.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Forgot the smiley face. Relax Francis.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

HOW DID you know Francis is my middle name Fredrick?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here is what I say to you GOOD GRIEF, dont take life so seriously. Those who DO take life TOO seriously do not fair well in life.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

There is way too much obsession here with just a car, guys. We all know that Porsche works their magic effectively with each succeeding generation of "911." Improvements are a constant with Porsche. I've been with Porsche since 1974. Certain evolutions of the 911 I didn't care for but that is all from individual issues.

What we need to do is drive these things more than worry about the subtle differences between a 991, a 997, a 996, 993, 964 and a '911.' They're all a variation on a theme. For marketing reasons only they continue to bear the badge "911."

Put down that mouse and go drive!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Edgy its just the Passion for Porsche, We have as much or more than Ferrari guys. How many (insert your Ferrari model here) have you seen with 2,900 miles on them. Porsches get driven

I dont care too much for the 964, but I really like the 1964-73, then I like the 993 to present. I would like to have a 77 Turbo or any 930.
All in their own different way. They All have their own presence. I have to admit the 996 version I would
stick to the GT cars and the turbo, but thats the only 911 series I dont care too much for. But any 996 Version with the Metzger motor is fine by me.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

HOW DID you know Francis is my middle name Fredrick?
That's awesome.

Can we go back to taking cars now and drop the ueber sensitive personalities. This ain't ferrarichat thank the gods. Amazing how one comment about success in life could trigger this. Says a lot. Hahaha.

Last edited by holminator; 10-08-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree, I was just posting a humorous piece kinda of poking fun at ourselves I thought you took it
too serious then I got bent out of shape, The whole point of MY post was to defuse any animosity between 991 guys and 997 guys. When we all get together in person, ( I have been apart of some of those in my 993 days) what happens is one of the best parties I have ever been to. Not in the alcoholic
sense but just a great group of people sense. The passion is there in every owner, all the way down to the 914 guys. I can say over the last Decade of all the people I know, the Porsche group of people is the best group of guys/gals I have ever met. If you make a post needing help, a couple of people get on your *** but someone will PM you asking to help you. Its an amazing group of people, in a great way
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

One old guy to another, I sincerely doubt you could say anything to hurt my feelings and a few of you that have driven with me face to face know better. You clearly misread or misunderstood what I wrote (and i enjoyed reading the responses) and then flamed me (which I also enjoyed reading). Relax and let's talk about cars. If I ever met you, first 10 beers on me. Again, can we talk about cars now?

When are you planning on getting a 991? If you already have, what do you think?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2005 C2, traded for a 2009 C2S, and was planning on getting the 991 when it came out. Then I saw it.

I'm finalizing paperwork on a 2012 Vantage this week. I'm not going to trash anybody for buying a 991, but personally, I think the changes are unfortunate, enough so that I'm abandoning the marque for at least one generation.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

That's cool. It's a nice vehicle. Why reading about 991s then on this thread? Curious.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I've owned a bunch of Porsches over a lot of years. I didn't discover these forums until I was searching for my 993tt. I really appreciate the advice I have been given here. Since I am retired, the many hours I spend on the various Porsche forums can't be considered wasted. What I have noticed is that 997 owner's are downright hostile to the 991. I bought a new 09' C2S cab on May 09. I loved this car. It was too damn noisy at speed, but otherwise, the best Porsche I had owned. I now have the 991 version of the 997 I had. This car is another of Porsche's evolutionary, improvements. I am perplexed at the 997 forum's negative comments. I am most certainly not trying to start trouble but, as can't we all just get along.
Wow. I see what you meant. Quite a science experiment with this thread. LOL!

Quick Reply: Not that we should care but, 997 guys are ?