Sponsored by:

PDK wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:45 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PDK wear

I am curious how the PDK clutch system wears and if you were to wear it out what it would cost to fix.

A launch control launch and subsequent shifts have to wear something? The sport plus shifts are hard. I have gotten wheel spin more then once.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 418 Likes on 183 Posts

This car is built to spirited use. You don't have to baby it. It's not going to break if driven hard. It is going to break if it is abused. I suspect that repeated launches may cross the line from hard use to abuse.

I asked my dealer the same question and they assured me that is was durable. I was not surprised by that response as they probably would have said the same thing no matter what component was the subject of my inquiry. that said, as I am certain that you know, if you pound away at an automobile component it will eventually fail.

I would try to limit launches. The primary reason I did not get this feature as I was certain that I could not and did not want the temptation.

Price of repair? Well the unit costs over $4000 as an upgrade over the 7M system and the 7m system shares the gear box components. I suspect that repair at over $100 per hour equals more than I would ever want to spend fixing the transmission.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Did my first launch yesterday, all I can say is WOW WOW WOW!!!
From now on, it will be very hard for me to limit launches. I just wonder how much is too much.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
deturney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not done a Launch with mine (3600 miles now), I have avoided the temptation. I am not going to the drag strip and using Launch on the street would make me nervous about getting a big ticket. I also consider it borderline abuse and actual abuse when done frequently, I don't want any big repair bills! I love the darn thing so much I don't want to do anything but twisty roads in Sport mode, away from dense Police coverage, that is what I truly enjoy anyway.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

why avoid launches? when porsche brought the PDK trans out, they launched it hundreds of times per day showing off the new feature.. and many porsche tech's were quoted stating how they had launched the car thousands of times and minimal wear on PDK because of how it's setup and how it does what it does.

if i had launch control, i would do it as much as i pleased.. we have 4 year 50k warranty if it breaks and double clutch is setup to engage perfectly and without much wear... you're not riding the clutch.. you're engaging it 100%..
Old 10-28-2012, 06:23 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Launch control is there for a reason. I don't see any reason of avoiding it especially if you want to do it and you are able to given the opportunity and driving conditions. If any problems occur, those should be covered under power train warranty...
Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
deturney
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
why avoid launches? when porsche brought the PDK trans out, they launched it hundreds of times per day showing off the new feature.. and many porsche tech's were quoted stating how they had launched the car thousands of times and minimal wear on PDK because of how it's setup and how it does what it does.

if i had launch control, i would do it as much as i pleased.. we have 4 year 50k warranty if it breaks and double clutch is setup to engage perfectly and without much wear... you're not riding the clutch.. you're engaging it 100%..
I have always been very careful with my MT cars/clutches and this PDK with SC is a first for me. I see your point and I suppose I am being too timid about the Launch. I will do it soon.

Do you have any links to the testimonials you have described? Now I am looking forward to doing a Launch.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
DHill
Advanced

My Sales Person was told by Cass Whitehead (Hope I'm spelling his name correctly) at a Porsche company 991 driving school in Alabama that the PDK Clutch is considered a "Clutch For Life." I know you are going to tell me I was being sold, but he told me this knowing I had no intention of purchasing PDK. I'm still a MT Fan. It's supposed to be pretty durable and has been tested extensively in racing before it made it to production models.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
deturney
Instructor

Originally Posted by fester
Launch control is there for a reason. I don't see any reason of avoiding it especially if you want to do it and you are able to given the opportunity and driving conditions. If any problems occur, those should be covered under power train warranty...
I appreciate your input on this topic Fester, I will try it out soon.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I track my GTS PDK a lot... I tracked my 09 Carrera S PDK even more for 3 years with zero issues. Also the Speed Merchants Team raced a PDK car and after 10,000 track miles they went to change they clutch packs and found they were in perfect shape. PDK shifts so perfectly that it does not wear out like a manual set of clutch plates.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Originally Posted by deturney
I appreciate your input on this topic Fester, I will try it out soon.
You have no idea what you are missing with good pavement it is quite a ride.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

A couple of weeks ago when I did he Porsche WorldRoad Show, the instructor for my group told us that the PDK transmission was build to last a lot of abuse, that was the main reason that all cars in the Road Show (981s,991s , 997 Turbo S and Panameras) where all equiped with this gearbox.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Sujan Patel
Cruisin'

How do you initiate launch mode? I've tried several times with no success.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

You must have the Sport Chrono package. It could not be easier. Hit the sport plus button on the console, left foot on the brake right foot on the gas. Golf the gas to the floor until you hear the rev limiter kick in and release the brake. You will definitely know when you
Are successful.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Can someone post a video? I'm very curious about this launch control you speak of.

Quick Reply: PDK wear