Sponsored by:

A Fresh Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Fabolous
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Of course! Check your PCM manual - look under Sport Display and Transferring Data. On the PCM display you do that under Trip>Option>Sport Display>Recordings.

Once you have the data file let me know and (offline) I will point you to the tools to analyze it.

Note: the above is in the 997.2, but I presume the same is in the 991, given that it shows peak values. Peak values, as you know, are less reliable and probably optimistic, and the raw data is what's interesting. You get a lot more than Gs in the data dump.
Im pretty sure that is an option to be able to download the SC logs. I think it was like $250 (I didnt get it)
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I rode in Garys car yesterday. Normally you hear guys gushing about their new cars and they are over the top. Then you ride in it and you wonder what drug the guy was on and would it be possible if you could have some.
But I have to admit. Gary is being understated because this car is sublime. I have never heard such a great exhaust note. Its the closest I can remember to my 993TT with Exhaust by pass pipes. The fit and finish is better than I could ever imagine and it really simplifies what my 997 looks like.
My plans were to buy a 991S or grab a 997 TT off the lot and see if I can save some money but those options are gone as of yesterday. Its either a 991 S or wait for the TT. Right I am leaning toward the TT because if the 991 is like this I bet they blow the top off with the 991TT. I dont know when this will happen but I still have some healing to do from the last back surgery. Then its off to the dealer with my order form

BTW the NEW RED is just amazing looking, I was thinking of that with two tone grey interior
Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I rode in Garys car yesterday. Normally you hear guys gushing about their new cars and they are over the top. Then you ride in it and you wonder what drug the guy was on and would it be possible if you could have some.
But I have to admit. Gary is being understated because this car is sublime. I have never heard such a great exhaust note. Its the closest I can remember to my 993TT with Exhaust by pass pipes. The fit and finish is better than I could ever imagine and it really simplifies what my 997 looks like.
My plans were to buy a 991S or grab a 997 TT off the lot and see if I can save some money but those options are gone as of yesterday. Its either a 991 S or wait for the TT. Right I am leaning toward the TT because if the 991 is like this I bet they blow the top off with the 991TT. I dont know when this will happen but I still have some healing to do from the last back surgery. Then its off to the dealer with my order form

BTW the NEW RED is just amazing looking, I was thinking of that with two tone grey interior
I know someone who immedieately returned his 991S after he test drove the 997 turbo S..so it depends ..people have sometimes different tastes..
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a.928
I know someone who immedieately returned his 991S after he test drove the 997 turbo S..so it depends ..people have sometimes different tastes..
Believable if the 991S did not have PDCC, PDK, launch control and so on.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

With out knowing what the guys thoughts were, it has NOTHING to do with my opinion. He might have liked the 991S BETTER and then found out (as I did) that a 997 TT lease is CHEAPER than a 991S is at the moment. Wanted to save some money and went out and got the turbo. With all the things going on right now, with the OLD body style out on the Turbos and the NEW body out on the Carrera and the Carrera S. Lease rates being alot different. The number of OLD style Turbos and Turbo S's on the lots and deep discounts on them (the Turbos and Turbo S's) We have NO idea what your friends motives were, and 2nd hand info on what he did just doesnt apply. I know Turbo guys who would rather have a turbo no matter what version the turbo is versus a regular 911 or how much newer the new 911 is.
Doesnt mean the older one is better OR the newer one is better.
One other thing. Those who suffer back issues as I do and as Gary does, the New 911 with its longer wheel base is more comfortable than the older one. The OLDER 911 is ALOT more like what we all think of 911 should drive like compared to the new one. Again without knowing what your friend was thinking, it just doesnt matter.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Insurance on a turbo may be higher than on the 991S.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Of course! Check your PCM manual - look under Sport Display and Transferring Data. On the PCM display you do that under Trip>Option>Sport Display>Recordings.

Once you have the data file let me know and (offline) I will point you to the tools to analyze it.

Note: the above is in the 997.2, but I presume the same is in the 991, given that it shows peak values. Peak values, as you know, are less reliable and probably optimistic, and the raw data is what's interesting. You get a lot more than Gs in the data dump.
I checked the PCM Manual, and the transfer method is clear, but they don't list the g-meter readings as part of the data set. I'll try it and see what happens.

Gary
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Yep, although I might question his decision-making procedure. I chose to test drive the 997 Turbo S before I ordered a 991S.

Gary
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

I drove a 997 Turbo S and loved the torque (up there with a good Vette or GTR). But frankly it had less of that overall Porsche "feel" that I love than my (very well sorted) 911 SC. The 991 on the other has it, in spades. It is just all essential sports capability and more, like the 356s and early 911s. I suspect that is why folks can find the 3.2 as satisfying as the 3.8. (OK so I went for the torque of the S, what can I say)?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
991SCab
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brilliant yes. I like incredible.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I drove a 997 Turbo S and loved the torque (up there with a good Vette or GTR). But frankly it had less of that overall Porsche "feel" that I love than my (very well sorted) 911 SC. The 991 on the other has it, in spades. It is just all essential sports capability and more, like the 356s and early 911s. I suspect that is why folks can find the 3.2 as satisfying as the 3.8. (OK so I went for the torque of the S, what can I say)?
So did I. What can I say?

However, an interesting addition to our remarks. In another thread, someone posted a link to an on-line article about Motor Trend's drivers-car-of-the-year award for 2012. They reached the same conclusions we're talking about here. Reliable journalism!

Gary
Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by holminator
Believable if the 991S did not have PDCC, PDK, launch control and so on.
As far as I remember it had PDCC and PDK...it was more or less fully optioned. The money didnt matter for him. What mattered more was the "acceleration"...the shape of the car..and the fact the 997 turbo S drove according to him more like a traditional 911..besides its more exclusive.

Im not doubting that the 991 drives smoother and is less harsh..if I was older and had back problems I would probaably choose the 991 also.

All of the comments here have valid points for each of us. To be honest, I would also prefer the turbo S over the 991S..if there would be a 991 turbo one day..the thing might be different.

Enjoy your rides
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

As far as I remember it had PDCC and PDK...it was more or less fully optioned. The money didnt matter for him. What mattered more was the "acceleration"...the shape of the car..and the fact the 997 turbo S drove according to him more like a traditional 911..besides its more exclusive.[...]
That last is a personal judgment of course, but as for driving like a traditional 911, the 991 is more in that pattern than the 997 Turbo S. The usual split in driving feel continues you know. The 997 Turbo S carries the spirit of every Turbo with it, that blend of planted cornering that is characteristic of AWD models with deep wells of power on tap that can be used lavishly without upsetting the balance. The 997 C2S and the new 991 C2S differ, but they are closer to each other than either is to the Turbos. Both of them are in the spirit of light agile handling that has characterized rear-wheel-drive 911's since the first ones. Both of them dance through corners, although the 997 has to be persuaded you know what you're doing before it will behave that way.

We're talking about subtle traits here. All of these are Porsche to the bone, and none could be mistaken for an Aston or a Mercedes or Ferrari, let alone a Lamborghini. Designers and engineers at these levels work very hard to stay within the family while moving to new heights with each generation.

Keep in mind that power levels are not the distinguishing trait. The current 991S is comparable to a Ferrari F-430, and my 997S would run down a Turbo of the 996 era. I have. What matters is those 'feel' questions that are so hard to quantify. I could have told you I was in a Turbo within the first block even if they had blindfolded me before putting me in the driver's seat.

I'm sure those are the sensations that causes your friend to prefer Turbos, not the almost irrelevant performance differences.

Gary
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Got the latest PCA Panorama today. It has a section on the 918 (see below). At this rate, we will all soon sound like the grievers in the 997 forum, or will have to consult with an aerospace engineer to select the options on our next P cars- when driving! And this is all besides the description of what happens when the V8 ignites at 90 mph!

"Adaptable aerodynamics are incorporated into the bodywork. In addition to the variable opening front vents, there is an adjustable rear wing and a spoiler. Both are retracted when running in the "E" mode for low aerodynamic drag, and the air inlets in the front vents are closed as are the air flaps in the underfloor ahead of the front axle. Go to the "Performance " mode and the underfloor flaps open to provide ground effects by dumping air into diffuser channels in the underbody, and the wing deploys a high rear downforce angle. "Sport" setting closes the underfloor vents and moderates the angle of attack of the wing, favoring to speed over ultimate cornering. Mechanical alchemy joins aerodynamics with adaptive rear wheel steering; at slow speeds the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the fronts; at higher speeds the same direction"

Anyone know an aerospace engineer?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:05 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Anyone know an aerospace engineer?
Probably not a useful one. This one read all that without blinking, but got distracted by the pretty blonde peering at me 'through' my display in the ad for FIOS above your post.

Sucking underbodies and skew wheels just can't keep my attention it seems.

Gary

Quick Reply: A Fresh Perspective